A TUNE - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
Diagnostics & Tuning Diagnostics | Programming | Tuning

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 10-29-2013, 07:47 PM Thread Starter

A TUNE

so this has been on my mind a while and i wanted to ask this question, directed to the people here who actually do the tunes, more so then members but feel free to chime in with any pertinent info.
I see all the questions about tunes etc...pro and con. dealer/and MFG.
My question is, will anyone or can anyone who tunes tell me of any problems that have caused a major problem with a tune, not necessarily yours, but any tune at all..that is documented. I was curious to know if any ECM,ECU whatever problems that have in fact voided warranty when bought to the attention of dealer. And if so. did tuner make good on repairs.? thanks..I am such a positive minded person after reading some comments about this topic, that assuming the tuner is top notch in his/her class with this that the risks if you want to call it that, In WARRANTY are minimal..thanks and i hope i got point across for a novice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 10-30-2013, 08:03 AM
Veteran Member

Garage
Okay, from a GM point of view on your warranty.. Lets say you develop an internal engine problem and end up having to go in for major repair, technical assistance is called... they have us pull calibrations from your ecm. If you have anything in there other than GM programming, they stop, void your power train warranty and it's done. It doesn't matter if the tune caused the problem or not. The fact sticks that you changed the programming. That is all they see or care about. This goes for the same with engine, transmission or the drive line axle. If any of those has a major repair, protocol is to call Technical assistance, and on most performance vehicles they have us pull the programming, send it to them, they tell us whether or not it is gm or not. if not. they immediately void the warranty... You have to remember.. even if the tune has absolutely nothing to do with horsepower or anything, you could make it slower for all they care, you change their programming, they void the warranty. Hope I cleared up your question.

2010 Camaro 2SS/RS 6spd 426hp
December 2013 Member of the Month
post #3 of 13 Old 10-30-2013, 09:14 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for reply, i totally get that..for the second part of my inquisitive mind..LOL , at the end of the day, how many cases are documented if thats possible to determine, of a tune actually going bad under normal tuning circumstances.? to make it a real concern for those who want to do this before normal warranty expires. thanks..i am only asking this because i know myself, i am going to get some type of tune to improve my cars performance, not to the point i will track it every weekend,,but make it ride as i feel a sports cars should, but not to the point i am sacrafice mpg's ..or rideability.. thanks for reading and replying...

post #4 of 13 Old 10-30-2013, 09:25 AM
Veteran Member

Garage
Not sure, I don't do any tunes here.. might be a question for a vendor.

2010 Camaro 2SS/RS 6spd 426hp
December 2013 Member of the Month
post #5 of 13 Old 10-30-2013, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rydahog View Post
Thanks for reply, i totally get that..for the second part of my inquisitive mind..LOL , at the end of the day, how many cases are documented if thats possible to determine, of a tune actually going bad under normal tuning circumstances.? to make it a real concern for those who want to do this before normal warranty expires. thanks..i am only asking this because i know myself, i am going to get some type of tune to improve my cars performance, not to the point i will track it every weekend,,but make it ride as i feel a sports cars should, but not to the point i am sacrafice mpg's ..or rideability.. thanks for reading and replying...
A tune itself will rarely go bad ... HOWEVER, if you find someone who improperly tunes your vehicle, you could be in for an expensive lesson.

Order #: VBBDZ1
2017 Camaro ZL1
Hyper Blue Metallic A10, PDR, NAV, Premium floor mats

Ordered: 12/26/16
March 2014 Member/Car Of the Month
post #6 of 13 Old 11-13-2013, 06:02 AM
ModernCamaro.com Sponsor

Ive never seen a tune go bad and the reason why is the configuration is burned to your vehicles computer and wont change.

Now you can change the airflow of the motor ( ie, add new intake, headers, cam, forced induction) , and your tune still wont change ( because its burned to the "hard drive" of your vehicles computer), but the targeted setting will be off.

Since aftermarket parts change airflow, the car maybe able to get by without additional re-tuning. Some parts change the airflow significantly and you have to go back in for a retune.

Some shops will tell you every time you change a part which addresses airflow, you HAVE to come back for a retune. That's very broad and not always true.

I don't recall a vehicle with bolt ons ( to include headers) having a failure. If you beat the hell out of your car, Something is going to fail tuned or not tuned. If you went to the track every weekend stock, or tuned with bolt ons, if a part is going to fail, its going to do it in either set up. You just had the bad luck of having that one weak part. Nothing to do with the tune.

If you move to heads and cam, and didn't build it properly and tuned it great, it will fail at some point.

I see to many shops like to build force induction and add on the edge boost. You get some mileage out of the 650-700 HP vehicle, then the bottom edge will failure and the shop gets to rebuilt and the client gets to pay $10K for a "stronger build proof motor" .
Phil

Check out your car on our facebook page.
https://www.facebook.com/tampa.tuning

Tampa Tuning: [email protected]

Last edited by Tampa Tuning; 11-13-2013 at 06:06 AM.
post #7 of 13 Old 11-14-2013, 11:18 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tampa Tuning View Post
Ive never seen a tune go bad and the reason why is the configuration is burned to your vehicles computer and wont change.

Now you can change the airflow of the motor ( ie, add new intake, headers, cam, forced induction) , and your tune still wont change ( because its burned to the "hard drive" of your vehicles computer), but the targeted setting will be off.

Since aftermarket parts change airflow, the car maybe able to get by without additional re-tuning. Some parts change the airflow significantly and you have to go back in for a retune.

Some shops will tell you every time you change a part which addresses airflow, you HAVE to come back for a retune. That's very broad and not always true.

I don't recall a vehicle with bolt ons ( to include headers) having a failure. If you beat the hell out of your car, Something is going to fail tuned or not tuned. If you went to the track every weekend stock, or tuned with bolt ons, if a part is going to fail, its going to do it in either set up. You just had the bad luck of having that one weak part. Nothing to do with the tune.

If you move to heads and cam, and didn't build it properly and tuned it great, it will fail at some point.

I see to many shops like to build force induction and add on the edge boost. You get some mileage out of the 650-700 HP vehicle, then the bottom edge will failure and the shop gets to rebuilt and the client gets to pay $10K for a "stronger build proof motor" .
Phil
what about when u change or reset ur cars battery with a tune in it?? does it affect it? do u have to drive awhile for it to learn?

2012 1SS/RS IBM M6 Halltech YellowJacket CAI, Kooks 1/7/8 LT's Corsa Sport CatBack SLP 160 Stat
426/424 rwhp/rwtq Kaltech Tune SOLD!!!!

April 2013 COTM Winner
post #8 of 13 Old 11-14-2013, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightSSS View Post
what about when u change or reset ur cars battery with a tune in it?? does it affect it? do u have to drive awhile for it to learn?
no.

Think of a tune like the operating system of your desk top computer. Your car comes from the factory with a GM based programming or tune. You go to someone who can tune the car. They essentially go into your operating system and make changes.

When you shut down the computer, do you have to reprogram the operating system every time? No. It works the same way with a car tune.

Order #: VBBDZ1
2017 Camaro ZL1
Hyper Blue Metallic A10, PDR, NAV, Premium floor mats

Ordered: 12/26/16
March 2014 Member/Car Of the Month
post #9 of 13 Old 11-16-2013, 06:42 AM

So in theory... one could go back into ECM and reinstall the "original settings" before taking vehicle in for potential warranty work?
post #10 of 13 Old 11-16-2013, 06:46 AM
Premium Member

Garage
Nope! Any time a change is made to the programming, it's permanently recorded.
Re-flashing the original tune will not change that data. It will still show that the factory programming has been altered. Many threads here on this.

James 1:25 Ordered from Faulkner Chevy #NKCF02 1100 5/8/9 2000, 3300 7/16/9 TPW 7/20,GOT MY (low) VIN! 4000 7/24/9 ,Picked up 8/7/9!!! Signed Litho #45. Car signed by FBodfather 2011. Service: Jennings Chevy in PA. We don't "drift", kiddies... we POWER SLIDE! MOTM/COTM Sept 2012 Pro Patria Vigilans.
Click the pic.. I don't tolerate fools.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page