Learning to Tune - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
Diagnostics & Tuning Diagnostics | Programming | Tuning

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 05-16-2014, 12:47 AM Thread Starter
Premium Member

Learning to Tune

Since it's so hard to find tuning threads where people are explaining things, I'm going to start one with what I learn. I will include what I do right, and wrong so people can learn from my successes and failures.

The picture above is the first scan after I tuned the transmission. I removed the torque management and firmed up the shifts. I haven't done any major tuning as I'm still learning the process.

In the picture I have the line set at the highest level of knock retard (5.1). Small amounts of knock retard isn't horrible, but it isn't good. Also, if you look at the first box, you will Dyn Air in white, and the RPM's in yellow.

If you look at the histogram on the right, you see the actual "zones" that I was in while accelerating and it shows exactly where the knock retard was occurring during the log.

One neat thing I learned was this: in the histogram chart, you can see all the boxes with a 5 in them, well one is yellow. If you look at the chart display, and you see the white vertical line that goes through all four boxes, well that line is indicated by the yellow box in the histogram. That was my highest level of knock retard.

The goal is to remove the knock retard, so later tomorrow I will use the editor and change the spark advance to try to remove the retard. I will post pictures of it as I go along so someone can learn, or let me know if I'm doing something stupid.

Feel free to interject and let me know if I'm making a mistake somewhere along the way. I will use this thread to update what I do with the tunes as I go along.

**I do have a wideband that I will install when I install my headers**
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Knock Retard and Histogram.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	37561  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 05-16-2014, 01:03 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdemarce View Post

Since it's so hard to find tuning threads where people are explaining things, I'm going to start one with what I learn. I will include what I do right, and wrong so people can learn from my successes and failures.

The picture above is the first scan after I tuned the transmission. I removed the torque management and firmed up the shifts. I haven't done any major tuning as I'm still learning the process.

In the picture I have the line set at the highest level of knock retard (5.1). Small amounts of knock retard isn't horrible, but it isn't good. Also, if you look at the first box, you will Dyn Air in white, and the RPM's in yellow.

If you look at the histogram on the right, you see the actual "zones" that I was in while accelerating and it shows exactly where the knock retard was occurring during the log.

One neat thing I learned was this: in the histogram chart, you can see all the boxes with a 5 in them, well one is yellow. If you look at the chart display, and you see the white vertical line that goes through all four boxes, well that line is indicated by the yellow box in the histogram. That was my highest level of knock retard.

The goal is to remove the knock retard, so later tomorrow I will use the editor and change the spark advance to try to remove the retard. I will post pictures of it as I go along so someone can learn, or let me know if I'm doing something stupid.

Feel free to interject and let me know if I'm making a mistake somewhere along the way. I will use this thread to update what I do with the tunes as I go along.

**I do have a wideband that I will install when I install my headers**
Cool ,keep us posted

May 2014 MC Member of the Month!
post #3 of 9 Old 05-16-2014, 06:29 AM

Garage
Instead of starting with removing timing, you should start with fueling.

The car might just be getting lean and knocking instead.

Start the car, let it warm up completely (180*) and reset the fuel trims, then go for a nice long drive (~75 miles) nothing intense, just try to fill as much of the LTFT histogram and make sure the car is within -5 to 0 LTFT. Before you get the Wideband in, I would err on the side of the negative LTFT because rich isn't terrible.

I do find it odd that during the whole chart, your fuel trims have stayed zero. Are you not monitoring them?

2013 IOM Camaro 1LS - Daily Driver
1968 Camaro SS - Weekend Warrior
2000 Monte Carlo SS - CSC Powered Project Car

post #4 of 9 Old 05-16-2014, 06:30 AM
ModernCamaro.com Sponsor

Im going to throw a guess out here, but it looks like you have 23 degrees of timing being accepted at 6000 RPMs, but if you have 5 degrees of knock being removed, so your commanding 28 degrees of timing. That's a bit high.

2nd I don't see a wideband attached. You need to calibrate with a wideband. You don't know if your WOT AFR is 10 or 15 and there's a huge performance different between those marks.

I like being richer and target 12.5

Check out your car on our facebook page.
https://www.facebook.com/tampa.tuning

Tampa Tuning: [email protected]
post #5 of 9 Old 05-16-2014, 08:14 AM

Garage
Is 12.5 a touch too rich for an NA v8?

post #6 of 9 Old 05-16-2014, 11:15 AM
Veteran Member

Looking forward to updates on this so I'm ready when my warrenty runs out

2012 2SS / RS CRT; Additional Options: Highwing Spoiler, Sunroof, Window Tint, Splash Guards, Wheels, Nitro, Heritage Grill, MRT Louvers, Ported Throttle Body, Cold Air Inductions CAI, RX Sport Hood, someone's splitter, River City Strut Bar
Born On: 13 April 2012; Purchased: 27 August 2012
post #7 of 9 Old 05-16-2014, 11:39 AM Thread Starter
Premium Member

This is the stock tune with a little transmission tuning done. I will install the wideband once I install the headers I ordered.

I appreciate the conversation being started. It's hard to find people willing to talk about tuning.
post #8 of 9 Old 05-16-2014, 12:31 PM

Garage
I've heard that we lean out in stock form. The frame data doesn't look that long either, was the car fully warmed up?

post #9 of 9 Old 05-16-2014, 03:35 PM
ModernCamaro.com Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep View Post
Is 12.5 a touch too rich for an NA v8?
The more you lean it out the less timing it will accept.

I like 12.5 because it keeps it safer. That's about a full point leaner than factory. the key is to do it without the timing retarding.

Check out your car on our facebook page.
https://www.facebook.com/tampa.tuning

Tampa Tuning: [email protected]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page