Denver Area Tunes - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
Diagnostics & Tuning Diagnostics | Programming | Tuning

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 11-04-2014, 09:56 AM Thread Starter

Denver Area Tunes

I sent emails on November 1st to the following Colorado tuners and as of 11/4/14:

The Boost Creep Ltd.........$495 by email response

RMCR Performance..........$575 by email response

Finish Line Dyno..............$500 to $600 (uses HP Tuners) by phone call

Dyno-Pro........................No Response

American Intense Racing...No Response

How long can I drive before getting a tune?
Prices seem high is this normal?
Disappointed the other two tuners did not even bother to respond.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 11-05-2014, 04:19 PM
Premium Member

Garage
We've got a couple of excellent tuners on here.

James 1:25 Ordered from Faulkner Chevy #NKCF02 1100 5/8/9 2000, 3300 7/16/9 TPW 7/20,GOT MY (low) VIN! 4000 7/24/9 ,Picked up 8/7/9!!! Signed Litho #45. Car signed by FBodfather 2011. Service: Jennings Chevy in PA. We don't "drift", kiddies... we POWER SLIDE! MOTM/COTM Sept 2012 Pro Patria Vigilans.
Click the pic.. I don't tolerate fools.
post #3 of 10 Old 11-06-2014, 09:57 AM Thread Starter

So I made an appointment with Finish Line Automotive Performance they are less then 2 miles from the DIY shop where I will be installing the headers. This tune shop says they use HP tuners and I will get a chip too. I am a neophyte and I am not sure what that means.

post #4 of 10 Old 11-06-2014, 04:08 PM
Premium Member

Garage
There IS NO chip on the Camaro. If they really said that, I'd go somewhere else.

Do a mail order tune from Tampa Tuning.

You can't go wrong with them....

James 1:25 Ordered from Faulkner Chevy #NKCF02 1100 5/8/9 2000, 3300 7/16/9 TPW 7/20,GOT MY (low) VIN! 4000 7/24/9 ,Picked up 8/7/9!!! Signed Litho #45. Car signed by FBodfather 2011. Service: Jennings Chevy in PA. We don't "drift", kiddies... we POWER SLIDE! MOTM/COTM Sept 2012 Pro Patria Vigilans.
Click the pic.. I don't tolerate fools.

Last edited by patriotpa; 11-06-2014 at 04:10 PM.
post #5 of 10 Old 11-07-2014, 09:48 AM Thread Starter

Some advice from our member CHAPEL:
Anyway, yea for emailed tunes, those prices look way to expensive. Unless the price includes an actual brand new hand held tuner device and life-time tune updates for future mods. Dyno tunes from what I can remember usually cost around $400 - $600 for simple bolt-on mods. Supercharged, aggressive cams, turbos, nitrous, etc, usually cost a little more.

The way most newer cars are tuned these days are with a hand held device uploading either a canned tune or a custom tune into your ECU. When you want to return to the stock tune you would simply flash the stock tune back into the ECU via the OBD2 port. I believe some tuners use a device that plugs into your OBD2 port and stays there. When you want to return it to the stock tune you would simply unplug it from the port. So there are different ways to tune. HP tuners, SCT, and Diablosport seem to be the more popular and more widely used tuning programs out there.

Your best bet would be to find a company that uses the handheld tuner you prefer. Make sure they are reputable and have been around for a while. And make sure that whatever tune they have you datalog so they can make sure the tune is right for you. Here is how it works...

A tuner should write you a custom safe tune based on the car and mods. After you flash the tune in, you drive the car for whatever amount of miles they specify so the ECU can learn the tune and the mods. Then they'll have you datalog certain parameters at certain speeds. You then email the datalog to them, they view it, and make any necessary adjustments either to correct the AFR or to get more power out of it. Then you'd do the entire process over again until the tuner feels that the car is running at its optimum for the mods you have. It could take a few different tunes before it is perfect. But you do not want a tuner who just gives you a custom tune and sends you off without checking it and seeing if it needs adjustment.

I hope this info helps. Make a few calls to different places. See what they have to say, what deals they offer, what their prices are, how their customer service is, what tuning programs they use, and take some notes. If you have any questions or are confused about something then do not hesitate to ask them to clarify things. And feel free to ask me as well and I'll try to help as much as I can.
post #6 of 10 Old 11-07-2014, 02:02 PM Thread Starter

Going with American Intense Racing for the dyno tune for $475. I'll let you know how it turns (tunes) out.
post #7 of 10 Old 11-22-2014, 06:08 AM
ModernCamaro.com Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by patriotpa View Post
There IS NO chip on the Camaro. If they really said that, I'd go somewhere else.

Do a mail order tune from Tampa Tuning.

You can't go wrong with them....
Thanks guys. Correct, there is no chip. Its all computer based, so I change the calibration in your Camaro's computer to sync up with your modifications.

$150 bucks for a mail order tune on a vehicle with Bolt Ons. You can reach me at:
[email protected]

Thanks
Phil

Check out your car on our facebook page.
https://www.facebook.com/tampa.tuning

Tampa Tuning: [email protected]
post #8 of 10 Old 11-25-2014, 10:23 PM

Garage
Mick,
I think you made the right decision! Clint at A.I.R. did me great this summer. Very knowledgable and an all around great guy.
Dyno tuned to a laptop is the bomb. He can change the shift points in Sport mode also....there is no guesswork when you're on a dyno; he can make an adjustment and check results realtime.
I went with 25% firmer shifts; shiftpoints set at 500 rpm higher. 1.5 mpg more and 2 tenths less at Bandimere Speedway. Enjoy....
post #9 of 10 Old 12-08-2014, 05:06 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickGIS View Post
At the tuners today they did a few runs on the dyno then checked the sensor readings from my car and said that the sensor readings were pretty optimal and that they probably could not get much more out of this engine. So the final results were 404.66 WHP / 404.26 RWTQ, not bad for just bolt ons with no tune needed.
Upon reflection I realize just how sour an experience it was with Dyno-Pro and AIR (American Intense Racing) both in Arvada, CO.
Clint at AIR seemed to be very accommodating two weeks ago when I went double my time while installing the headers and had to reschedule our tune appointment (that Tuesday the 11th it was also the middle of a snow storm). We rescheduled for Tuesday the 25th. It turns out AIR and Dyno-Pro are right next door to one another and AIR uses Dyno-Pro's equipment. I showed up a few minutes early and the Dyno-Pro tech thought I was bringing a Porsche. They hooked the Camaro to their dyno and pulled a few times. The Dyno-Pro tech said they were having problems with their equipment and the first run was the only good one. The Porsche showed up on a trailer and the Dyno-Pro guy said they could not get any more HP out of this engine so a custom tune was unnecessary. He printed out the run and agreed he would email me the dyno data. Still no data but it's only been a few days but I did send them an email reminder.

Looking back it seems he wanted to get working on the Porsche. All the time on the dyno neither Clint nor anyone from AIR ever made an appearance.
So from this encounter I would not recommend either AIR (American Intense Racing) nor Dyno-Pro both on Gray St in Arvada, CO.
post #10 of 10 Old 01-24-2017, 08:20 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickGIS View Post
Upon reflection I realize just how sour an experience it was with Dyno-Pro and AIR (American Intense Racing) both in Arvada, CO.
Clint at AIR seemed to be very accommodating two weeks ago when I went double my time while installing the headers and had to reschedule our tune appointment (that Tuesday the 11th it was also the middle of a snow storm). We rescheduled for Tuesday the 25th. It turns out AIR and Dyno-Pro are right next door to one another and AIR uses Dyno-Pro's equipment. I showed up a few minutes early and the Dyno-Pro tech thought I was bringing a Porsche. They hooked the Camaro to their dyno and pulled a few times. The Dyno-Pro tech said they were having problems with their equipment and the first run was the only good one. The Porsche showed up on a trailer and the Dyno-Pro guy said they could not get any more HP out of this engine so a custom tune was unnecessary. He printed out the run and agreed he would email me the dyno data. Still no data but it's only been a few days but I did send them an email reminder.

Looking back it seems he wanted to get working on the Porsche. All the time on the dyno neither Clint nor anyone from AIR ever made an appearance.
So from this encounter I would not recommend either AIR (American Intense Racing) nor Dyno-Pro both on Gray St in Arvada, CO.
I had RMCR (Rocky Mountain Competitive Research in Colorado Springs, CO) perform a tune on my 2010 Camaro SS. They initially did a road tune and then brought it in to the shop for a dyno tune.

The RMCR tune got another 24.25 HP and 21.63 TQ to the rear wheels.

Turns out neither AIR (American Intense Racing) or Dyno-Pro both on Gray St in Arvada, CO know what they are doing. Glad I took my Gen5 to RMCR.

Last edited by MickGIS; 01-24-2017 at 08:44 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page