CEL On 278 Miles After Header Install - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
Diagnostics & Tuning Diagnostics | Programming | Tuning

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 12-13-2014, 05:29 PM Thread Starter

CEL On 278 Miles After Header Install

My car has thrown the dreaded but expected CEL only 278 miles after I installed the headers, from what I have read the rear O2 sensors are usually the culprit.
I am going to check the code just to be sure I am not damaging anything.
Both AutoZone and O'Riley's here in Centennial, CO said they would read the OBD-II code for free.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 12-13-2014, 06:03 PM
Premium Member

Garage
Most likely, you need a tune.

James 1:25 Ordered from Faulkner Chevy #NKCF02 1100 5/8/9 2000, 3300 7/16/9 TPW 7/20,GOT MY (low) VIN! 4000 7/24/9 ,Picked up 8/7/9!!! Signed Litho #45. Car signed by FBodfather 2011. Service: Jennings Chevy in PA. We don't "drift", kiddies... we POWER SLIDE! MOTM/COTM Sept 2012 Pro Patria Vigilans.
Click the pic.. I don't tolerate fools.
post #3 of 7 Old 12-13-2014, 06:18 PM Thread Starter

Good point, a tune is indeed needed but I am waiting till after I install my Bo White Ported Throttle Body. In the mean time I will check the code to make sure I didn't break something else.

post #4 of 7 Old 12-14-2014, 06:03 AM
Premium Member

Garage
Here's a nice SuperChevy article on bolt-ons in a 5thGen.

5th-Gen Camaro Bolt-On Mods - Mods For the Masses

James 1:25 Ordered from Faulkner Chevy #NKCF02 1100 5/8/9 2000, 3300 7/16/9 TPW 7/20,GOT MY (low) VIN! 4000 7/24/9 ,Picked up 8/7/9!!! Signed Litho #45. Car signed by FBodfather 2011. Service: Jennings Chevy in PA. We don't "drift", kiddies... we POWER SLIDE! MOTM/COTM Sept 2012 Pro Patria Vigilans.
Click the pic.. I don't tolerate fools.
post #5 of 7 Old 12-14-2014, 08:29 AM
RDP Motorsport USA

Once you fit headers you will always get a lean or rich code, P0420 P0430 P1133 P1153 etc you will need to have the car tuned to remove the code as well as give you the extra added performance from your header upgrade, its well worth the dollars that you will invest in the tune to maximise the vehicles performance and remove the CEL light.

www.rdpstore.com Ph: 440 358 5500 or 440 251 8571 SLP / Kooks / SCT / Diablosport / Cold Air Inductions / Whipple / Vortech / TruTrac /Edelbrock / Fore Innovations / DSS / Hayes / Turbonetics / Vredestein / Borla / Maganflow / Corsa / Stainless Works / Hotchkis / EBC / Magnuson / Airaid / Whiteline /Fore Innovations / Snow /Trickflow / Moroso / Hp Tuners / Brembo / Rotofab and much much more
post #6 of 7 Old 12-14-2014, 09:34 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by patriotpa View Post
Here's a nice SuperChevy article on bolt-ons in a 5thGen.

5th-Gen Camaro Bolt-On Mods - Mods For the Masses
Thanks for the nice article (here is the link to second part Mods for the Masses Part 2). Glad to see that I have done most of what's on their list save the underdrive pulley, the tune will be next month. Anyone else happen to do the same/similar mods and for what HP gain? Pure stock my car dyno'ed at 365 RWHP I had it dyno'ed after the mods listed below but before a tune and it hit 404 RWHP, almost 40 HP gain. Hope the tune pulls a few more HP out.

My mods:
  • CAI cold air intake
  • ADM scoop
  • Roto-Fab w/w relocate
  • Stainless Power LT headers
  • Stainless Works High flow Cats
  • Hearthrob cat back H-pipe with high flow mufflers

Last edited by MickGIS; 12-14-2014 at 03:31 PM.
post #7 of 7 Old 12-15-2014, 04:41 PM Thread Starter

Yes, thankfully it was only those two expected codes:
P0420 - Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold (Bank 1)
P0430 - Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold (Bank 2)

Went to O'Reilly Auto Parts here in Centennial, CO and they read the codes for free.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page