Dealing with the AFM - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
Diagnostics & Tuning Diagnostics | Programming | Tuning

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 01-26-2016, 06:41 PM Thread Starter

Dealing with the AFM

I have a lot to learn about the Camaro and all of the computer, tuning etc that can be done with them.
Wondering how I start to even learn about all that can be done?

I despise the AFM on my car, it just feels like it lugs all the time at cruse. Then it bumps when it changes back to all cylinders.

I did some searches and touched the surface a little.

Can I have the AFM turned off and who can do this for me other than an expensive dealer? Can I buy a system and start doing some of this tuning myself?

My Camaro SS is a 2010 so it has no warranty.

Thanks,

Glenn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 01-26-2016, 07:50 PM
Premium Member

Garage
Search for "Range AFM" killer. I have one on my SS and it is the best mod I ever made. It plugs into the OBD port under the dash. It can be unplugged or plugged in anytime, running or not.

It keeps all 8 cylinders running all the time. About $200.00 but well worth it.

2010 2SS/RS A6 L99 Born 09/16/2009 Vin#9146985
ModernCamaro Car of the Month Jan 2013
CAI,Axle back exhaust, V Max Throttle Body
post #3 of 12 Old 01-29-2016, 03:54 PM
Premium Member

Garage
Mine's all but unnoticeable.

James 1:25 Ordered from Faulkner Chevy #NKCF02 1100 5/8/9 2000, 3300 7/16/9 TPW 7/20,GOT MY (low) VIN! 4000 7/24/9 ,Picked up 8/7/9!!! Signed Litho #45. Car signed by FBodfather 2011. Service: Jennings Chevy in PA. We don't "drift", kiddies... we POWER SLIDE! MOTM/COTM Sept 2012 Pro Patria Vigilans.
Click the pic.. I don't tolerate fools.

post #4 of 12 Old 02-04-2016, 03:24 AM
ModernCamaro.com Sponsor

Right Range technology AFM disabler is a very reliable device designed specifically for GM engines. You can check more info about it here: Range Technology® - Active Fuel Management Disabler Device
It's very affordable, only about $199.

If you want to do custom performance tunes you can take a look at performance programmers such as Hypertech® Max Energy Programmer, Bully Dog® Triple Dog GT Tuner or DiabloSport® Trinity Programmer (Prices range from $300 to $600 depending on the functions and the screen size).

Please not that you can't use both at the same time (as they use the same ODB II port).

Find them here: 2010 Chevy Camaro Performance Chips & Programmers

Chevy Camaro http://www.carid.com/chevy-camaro-accessories/

Call Toll Free: 800.505.3274 | Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | YouTube

Last edited by CARiD; 02-05-2016 at 02:51 AM.
post #5 of 12 Old 02-04-2016, 03:15 PM

Hello there, Glenn;

Hope you're doing well. Just wanted to give you an opportunity to have a good look at our Active Fuel Management or Displacement on Demand kit we offer for your SS.

It's one of our most popular upgrades for the Camaro in that not only does it remove the AFM system but also provides a great deal of performance, improved valvetrain reliability and wonderful sound at the same time.

We sell a lot of them and the feedback we receive back from our customers is extremely positive.

So what are you getting with this kit?
  • Choice of Livernois Motorsports Camshaft - Yes, your choice. Whether you want something really loud and "lopey", more low end power or something for the race track. You have a choice of any of our performance camshafts.
  • Livernois Motorsports Dual Valve Spring Package (Livernois Motorsports Dual Valve Springs, Titanium Retainers, Valve Spring Locators, Locks, & Valve Seals)
  • ARP Head Bolts
  • MLS Head Gaskets
  • Hardened Performance Pushrods
  • GMPP LS7 Lifters
  • GMPP LS2 Lifter guide kit
  • GMPP LS2 Valley Cover
  • GMPP Valve Cover Breather Block-Off
  • GMPP LS7 Camshaft Sprocket
  • GMPP Timing Chain Dampner
  • GMPP PCV Hose for Non-DOD applications
  • GMPP Exhaust Gaskets
  • ARP Timing Chain Bolts

I am not sure how many miles you have on your SS, Glenn, but as you can see by the list of parts we include in the kit, there is quite a lot we are upgrading.

Just so you know, you would also need one of our MyCal tuners to accompany the kit. This provides custom tuning for your camshaft and for the AFM delete itself. With the tuner you will see amazing power gains and also benefit from our lifetime performance tune updates and support.

So what are we looking at? The Active Fuel Management/DOD delete kit runs at $1,429.99 and the performance tuner $599.99

It's a pretty great deal when you realize what you're getting

If you would like more information about the kit or if you have any questions, please don't hesitate to get in touch with us. We also have some great YouTube videos of GM vehicles with this kit and also what gains just the camshaft upgrade alone that you would be getting with the kit can bring.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCv...BM4BA7QsduHeLw

Thanks so much!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DODDelete.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	48785  
post #6 of 12 Old 02-05-2016, 08:16 AM Thread Starter

There are so many ones to choose from. I don't want anything too complicated for me to do. I really just want to turn off the AFM system, and if needed tweak some settings. I don't plan to go into the engine at all.
Any advice on the best one? I see plug in ones that are automatically programmed for better power and fuel but do they turn off the AFM?

Thanks for the input!
post #7 of 12 Old 02-05-2016, 02:19 PM
Premium Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CARiD View Post
Right Range technology AFM disabler is a very reliable device designed specifically for GM engines. You can check more info about it here: Range Technology® - Active Fuel Management Disabler Device
It's very affordable, only about $199.

If you want to do custom performance tunes you can take a look at performance programmers such as Hypertech® Max Energy Programmer, Bully Dog® Triple Dog GT Tuner or DiabloSport® Trinity Programmer (Prices range from $300 to $600 depending on the functions and the screen size).

Please not that you can't use both at the same time (as they use the same ODB II port).

Find them here: 2010 Chevy Camaro Performance Chips & Programmers
If you just want the quick and easy way to defeat this feature, the Range is the way to go.

James 1:25 Ordered from Faulkner Chevy #NKCF02 1100 5/8/9 2000, 3300 7/16/9 TPW 7/20,GOT MY (low) VIN! 4000 7/24/9 ,Picked up 8/7/9!!! Signed Litho #45. Car signed by FBodfather 2011. Service: Jennings Chevy in PA. We don't "drift", kiddies... we POWER SLIDE! MOTM/COTM Sept 2012 Pro Patria Vigilans.
post #8 of 12 Old 02-08-2016, 06:50 AM
ModernCamaro.com Sponsor

post #9 of 12 Old 01-13-2017, 03:23 PM

Disabling the afm using tuning will take care of some of the complaints owners have.
This does not however remove the prone to fail afm lifters.
Installing the dod delete kit we offer available with or without remote tuning(mods dependent) keeps your car running strong and reliable.
What an opportunity to add that bump stick you always wanted
post #10 of 12 Old 01-14-2017, 06:15 AM
Premium Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livernois Motorsports View Post
Disabling the afm using tuning will take care of some of the complaints owners have.
This does not however remove the prone to fail afm lifters.
Installing the dod delete kit we offer available with or without remote tuning(mods dependent) keeps your car running strong and reliable.
What an opportunity to add that bump stick you always wanted
"prone to fail afm lifters"

Data please. If this is a GM-documented issue, please post your source. A little preventive maintenance may be in order....

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page