Drive Cycle wont Pass Inspection - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
Diagnostics & Tuning Diagnostics | Programming | Tuning

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 Old 07-26-2018, 08:12 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Drive Cycle wont Pass Inspection

About a month ago, I had a p0420 code and I cleared it with my Scan Gauge 2. I am guessing it reset all my readiness monitors. I drove around for 2 weeks and went to the DMV. I failed the inspection because the drive cycle failed. I looked it up and completed this about 6 times:

As soon as the engine starts, idle the engine in drive for two and one-half minutes, with the air conditioning (A/C) and rear defrost turned on, if equipped.
Turn the A/C and rear defrost off, and accelerate to 55 mph under moderate, constant acceleration. Hold at a steady speed of 55 mph for three minutes.
Decelerate (coast down) to 20 mph without braking (or depressing the clutch for manual transmissions).
Accelerate again back to 55 to 60 mph.
Hold at a steady speed of 55 to 60 mph for five minutes. Decelerate (coast down) to a stop without braking.

I went again on Monday and failed again so I removed my tune and set it back to stock. Last night I did the above about 5 more times and I failed again yesterday.

It total I have probably put on 400 miles since clearing the p0420 code and have completed the GM drive cycle about 10 times.

Does anyone know what else I can do to get all monitors ready?

Is the attached pic on the Scan Gauge 2 a good reference for readiness monitors? Right now it says "Not Ready" and I assuming I will be OK when it says "Ready" but I am not 100% sure how accurate the ScanGuauge 2 is.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3271.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	80.9 KB
ID:	52293  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 07-27-2018, 07:18 PM
Bully Proof

Garage
I had the same problem with my car and could not figure out why the drive cycles did not get my monitors to the READY state. After doing more research I discovered there was a little detail the drive cycle instructions didn't mention and that is your fuel tank MUST be between 1/4 and 3/4 full in order for the monitors to cycle properly. Once I discovered this I added more gas I had no problem completing the drive cycles and getting the monitors ready.

Also, the beginning of the drive cycles must be cold starts so you do have to let the car sit 12 to 24 hours between each complete drive cycle in order for the cycle to be effective. I hope this helps because I definitely know how frustrating your situation can be...GOOD LUCK!
post #3 of 3 Old 07-31-2018, 09:50 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks Envy.

Its been so hot that it is kinda hard to hit cold start temps. The engine temp is usually 100*+ by the time I have it started and I think I read it has to be under 90*.

I have also read that it could be my battery. My battery is still the original which is 7.5 years old but the car only has 51k miles so it still performs like new.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page