Wheel Repair – DIY - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
Do-It-Yourself and How-To Write-ups Show us how it's done! Post your DIY and HOW-TO write ups here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 09-19-2011, 07:58 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Post Wheel Repair – DIY

Wheel Repair – Do It Yourself

I recently purchased factory 21″s for my 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS from a seller on Craigslist. This option retails for $5,400, but I was able to buy them for less than $2,000. However, there were a few scuffs on one of the wheels. Since these are polished wheels, I thought I would try and repair the damage myself. I purchased a wet sanding kit specifically made for cars. Grits in this kit included 1000, 1500, 2000, 2500 and 3000. I also purchased some Mother’s polishing rub.

Here is what the scuff looked like prior to my attempt to repair the damage. As you can see in the photo, there are numerous marks on the wheel and they are very obvious.

I started with grit 1000 and began wet sanding the area with the damage. I then switched to 1500, 2000, 2500 and 3000. With each grit change, I would sand a little extra to try and blend the damaged area with the rest of the wheel.

After 20 minutes of sanding using the different grits, I then applied numerous coats of the Mother’s polishing rub. It’s a big improvement compared to the initial photo. I plan to buy another kit which starts at 500 grit. There is one small pit that was a little too deep for the 1000 grit. The 500 grit should remove all traces of the pit.

I hope you find this “Do It Yourself” guide useful!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 09-19-2011, 08:01 PM
Supporter of common sense

Looks great! Thanks for the write up.

Joe :: Over Anxious 67 Camaro RS/SS L78
5thgenblog.com // Michigan Classics
Chevrolet Camaro in Transformers // My ebaY auctions

Hot Rod Search Google searches for gearheads!
post #3 of 9 Old 09-19-2011, 08:42 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by OverAnxious View Post
Looks great! Thanks for the write up.
Thanks and you're welcome. It's scary when you're sanding the wheel, it really gets dull and you think it will never get back to normal...but it does!

post #4 of 9 Old 09-20-2011, 11:50 PM
Premium Member

Garage
Thanks for the write up, we all can use helpful tips like this. It is this kind of help that makes this forum what it is....the members!

2010 2SS/RS A6 L99 Born 09/16/2009 Vin#9146985
ModernCamaro Car of the Month Jan 2013
CAI,Axle back exhaust, V Max Throttle Body
post #5 of 9 Old 09-25-2011, 08:47 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWD621 View Post
Thanks for the write up, we all can use helpful tips like this. It is this kind of help that makes this forum what it is....the members!
Happy to help! A bunch of really nice people here!

post #6 of 9 Old 08-29-2013, 08:57 PM

Great write up. Shouldn't you clear coat the rims as this is how they came from the factory?
post #7 of 9 Old 08-30-2013, 08:06 AM

My boyfriend bought a set of 20" SS wheels last year for $500 on Craigslist, they had some curb rash on them. He also wet sanded and buffed them out, 95% of the damage came out and you can hardly tell they were damaged. You did a great job fixing your wheel too, congrats on the new addition.

NEOCC Member since 2013
post #8 of 9 Old 08-30-2013, 10:07 AM
Veteran Member

the 20" wheels were a $470 dollar option ... not OEM wheels? And boy those 21" Pirellis are like twice the cost of the 20's don't wear them out too fast

2012 2SS / RS CRT; Additional Options: Highwing Spoiler, Sunroof, Window Tint, Splash Guards, Wheels, Nitro, Heritage Grill, MRT Louvers, Ported Throttle Body, Cold Air Inductions CAI, RX Sport Hood, someone's splitter, River City Strut Bar
Born On: 13 April 2012; Purchased: 27 August 2012
post #9 of 9 Old 08-30-2013, 02:30 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro2SSRS View Post
Wheel Repair – Do It Yourself

I recently purchased factory 21″s for my 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS from a seller on Craigslist. This option retails for $5,400, but I was able to buy them for less than $2,000. However, there were a few scuffs on one of the wheels. Since these are polished wheels, I thought I would try and repair the damage myself. I purchased a wet sanding kit specifically made for cars. Grits in this kit included 1000, 1500, 2000, 2500 and 3000. I also purchased some Mother’s polishing rub.

Here is what the scuff looked like prior to my attempt to repair the damage. As you can see in the photo, there are numerous marks on the wheel and they are very obvious.

I started with grit 1000 and began wet sanding the area with the damage. I then switched to 1500, 2000, 2500 and 3000. With each grit change, I would sand a little extra to try and blend the damaged area with the rest of the wheel.

After 20 minutes of sanding using the different grits, I then applied numerous coats of the Mother’s polishing rub. It’s a big improvement compared to the initial photo. I plan to buy another kit which starts at 500 grit. There is one small pit that was a little too deep for the 1000 grit. The 500 grit should remove all traces of the pit.

I hope you find this “Do It Yourself” guide useful!
looks great!! i have polished alumn too and they def dont seem as shiny as they were when i bought the car, i may have to try this also, where did u get the mothers polish from??

2012 1SS/RS IBM M6 Halltech YellowJacket CAI, Kooks 1/7/8 LT's Corsa Sport CatBack SLP 160 Stat
426/424 rwhp/rwtq Kaltech Tune SOLD!!!!

April 2013 COTM Winner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page