First time at the strip - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
Drag Racing Getting your 5th Gen on the dragstrip - post results here!
STREET RACING CONTENT IS PROHIBITED

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 02-21-2010, 09:58 AM Thread Starter

First time at the strip

I decided it was time to take my 2010 Camaro LS3 to the strip just to see what she would do. I have had her since last June and have put about 4,500 miles on it so I figured it was about time. Only took 3 passes on a Friday night with the temp about 60 degrees. First pass was a 13.872 at 106.72 MPH. Overran first gear because the red line cam up faster than I expected. The second pass was a 13.512 at 108.74 which was a lot cleaner but still could do better as my 60' time was only 2.314. The third pass was a waste since I didn't get the tires dry before I tried to launch and ran a 16.142 at 102.66 mph with a 60' time of 2.899. I got a little sideways after the launch and did not run it hard through the rest of the gears. On all three passes I only ran through 3rd gear and close to red line at the top end so the car does pull great. There are no modifications except for a LMR CAI I had installed. The rest is totally stock. I will probably add a good set of headers and pipes all the way back. That should improve the times a little but that is all I have planned for now. I hope someone else has some numbers like mine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 02-21-2010, 10:06 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobGreenTX View Post
...I didn't get the tires dry before I tried to launch...
I would suggest staying out of the water all together unless you've got drag radials or slicks.

I'd also work on getting the launch down to lower the e/t before throwing more mods at it to get what you want.

www.fquick.com/demonspeed
Present: '02 SS #7146
Past: '89 IROC-Z|'91 Z28|'00 SS #0795|'01 Z28
post #3 of 9 Old 02-21-2010, 10:15 AM
Veteran Member

Applying mods is only making the car faster, not you.

Practice and once you feel you're car has hit it's plateau, then it's time for mods. That way you'll get more out of your car and be able to carry that skill over to other cars.

Last edited by 80s_Adam; 02-21-2010 at 11:17 AM.

post #4 of 9 Old 02-21-2010, 03:17 PM Thread Starter

I tried to stay out of the water box but they backed me up into it. I didn't know the tires where wet until I tried to launch. Thanks for the posts from Pittsburgh. I am originally from McKeesport and use to race at PID before it closed in the early 70s. I have some great memories from that track and a couple from the other track out 22.
post #5 of 9 Old 02-21-2010, 06:40 PM
Veteran Member

Never heard of PID. Do you have any more info on it? I've only been in the area less than a year. Pittsburgh Raceway Park is the track along 22. It seems very nice from the road, but I sold my car before we moved here so I haven't been able to find out!

post #6 of 9 Old 02-21-2010, 06:49 PM Thread Starter

I moved out of the area 22 years ago. PID stood for Pittsburgh International Dragway and was located on an old air strip outside of Bridgeville. There is a web site with some pictures on the web.
post #7 of 9 Old 02-21-2010, 06:59 PM

I have a question...everyone keeps talking about adding CAI, Exhaust, etc. but all of these mods are for nothing unless you get a tune to compliment them correct? Doesn't the ECU relearn after awhile? You first put say a CAI on and sure you will get a difference at the beginning, but eventually the computer adjust things so that you keep putting out the original stock numbers. I haven't dealt with performance mods because till this car I never really had a reason to, just trying to be informed and not in the dark.

Last edited by Big Poschmansky; 02-21-2010 at 07:00 PM. Reason: spelling
post #8 of 9 Old 02-22-2010, 03:50 AM Thread Starter

I have not had a tuneup yet and the CAI was installed over 4 months ago. I will be getting a tuneup sometime before this summer to allow the car to run better. I would not make any major updates without a tuneup. I was only reporting the numbers as a base line so when I take it in for a tuneup and dyno numbers capture I have a place to start.
post #9 of 9 Old 02-22-2010, 09:42 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobGreenTX View Post
I moved out of the area 22 years ago. PID stood for Pittsburgh International Dragway and was located on an old air strip outside of Bridgeville. There is a web site with some pictures on the web.
Found it, thanks!

http://www.pittsburghinternationaldragway.com/

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page