Took it to the drag strip - I need HELP to learn to launch! - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
Drag Racing Getting your 5th Gen on the dragstrip - post results here!
STREET RACING CONTENT IS PROHIBITED

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 Old 04-24-2010, 12:13 PM Thread Starter

Took it to the drag strip - I need HELP to learn to launch!

So I took the car out to the track for the first time….and I couldn’t launch it for nothing.

I’ll start off by saying that I have an LS3 with about 1,500 miles and stock tires. I was running at an 1/8th mile track and the best I was able to run was 9.16 with a worst of 9.52.

Every time I tried to launch it would wheel hop all the way through 1st and part of 2nd. Once it caught it pulled nice and hard. I tried it with TC & Stabiltrack turned off, in Competitive Mode, and just the way it sits. Every time I still got wheel hop. On time I even tried to leave a little soft and shortly after leaving the line I hammered it…..soon as I did it would wheel hop.

As I was leaving I had a GTO guy come up to look over the car. We started talking and I told him about the wheel hop. He said that in his GTO he gets on the line, lets out about half way on the clutch until it starts to grab, eases off the clutch a little, and leaves at about 1,500 before getting on it after leaving. I didn’t get a chance to try that because the lanes were about to close and I had already started beer time at that point but I plan on trying it again in a couple weeks.

Anyone have any tips or pointers to help me get off the line without so much wheel hop?

It sucked….I got a good handful of compliments on the car yet I was one of the slower newer muscle cars out there. I know it will turn a much better time if I can get it to launch better.

-1969 SS Convertible (real SS with factory A/C) Mariner Blue - 350/5-speed. Owned since November 1985.
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/Gloss White Extended stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS | Magnaflow 3" cat-back | ADM tune (411 hp / 412 tq) | Halltech | MGW w/Race Knob | Spohn Trailing Arms | Hotchkis | TRS HID projectors | VMax ported TB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 04-24-2010, 12:33 PM
Camaro Focus Group Member

it is very tricky to find the sweet spot. some things that can help: you can lower the air pressure in your stock tires to about 18psi, try slipping the clutch a bit more (don't just dump it), and keep the RPM between 1500 and 2000 at launch (more than that and you'll just fry the tires). if you still have problems, you can always invest in a set of "drag bags" which are basically just air bags for inside the rear springs.

"All alone in my funeral home, playing in blood, there's just got to be something wrong with me" -Slayer-
post #3 of 15 Old 04-24-2010, 01:26 PM

These cars should have very little if any wheel hop.

Launching a manual car is something you'll get a feel for after a few trips to the track. You want to find that sweet spot where the car feels like as if it's almost bogging down right off the line. It's all about "squeezing" the throttle on a manual and not just nailing it.

a dirty ass track will also cause this............tell them to clean the **** off the first 60 ft

Last edited by SIXX A.M.; 04-24-2010 at 01:28 PM.

post #4 of 15 Old 04-25-2010, 07:28 AM

Sounds like bad track prep.

Try this next time.

Try a knee jerk launch. You hold your rpms at say 2500 rpms or so and then to launch just lift up on clutch (knee jerk) without adding any additional throttle. Don't push down any further on the gas pedal until your car is moving off the line. Once you feel your car moving off the line, then roll into the gas.
Depending on trap prep you can vary your launch rpms up or down. You might stall or have a slight hesitation once you leave the line while learning. But your 60' times should be much improved. This method really helps prevent wheel hop.

2010 Camaro 2SS/RS, L99 A6
Bolt ons (12.10 @ 113.60 mph, 1.77 sec 60')
post #5 of 15 Old 04-28-2010, 10:47 PM

I read a bunch of opinions on how to launch the car then went to the track with a good idea on what to do and the best I ran was a 14.0 with a 2.8 60'. Then I took the car out a couple late nights and practiced launch after launch on a desolate road till I felt confident. Next trip to the track I ripped a 13.0 with a 2.3 60' on my first pass. By the end of the day I bested a 12.7 with a 2.08 60'. Moral of the story, everyone can tell you how they launch the car but in the end you have to learn your car your way. I find not revving at all and riding out the clutch so much that you think you'll haze it out the hole is the best method on street tires. I also turn TC and stabilitrac completely off.

post #6 of 15 Old 04-30-2010, 02:31 PM
Veteran Member

Sounds like someone went to NorthStar in Denton lol
post #7 of 15 Old 04-30-2010, 03:15 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jekyll-N-Hyde View Post
Sounds like someone went to NorthStar in Denton lol
LOL.....yep....got the itch back again.

I had started saving up for headers and a tune and now I'm about to blow that on Trailing Arms, a set of wheels, and drag radials.

Look what showed up on the front door a little while ago. These are extemely nice trailing arms!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sphon_TA.1.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	145.4 KB
ID:	6136  

-1969 SS Convertible (real SS with factory A/C) Mariner Blue - 350/5-speed. Owned since November 1985.
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/Gloss White Extended stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS | Magnaflow 3" cat-back | ADM tune (411 hp / 412 tq) | Halltech | MGW w/Race Knob | Spohn Trailing Arms | Hotchkis | TRS HID projectors | VMax ported TB
post #8 of 15 Old 04-30-2010, 03:32 PM
Veteran Member

its not just you a lot of people are having launching problems i got friends who go weekly and they are having problems with the surface.

kenedale has a NEW surface i hear

those trailing arms should help reduce your wheel hop

Last edited by Jekyll-N-Hyde; 04-30-2010 at 03:40 PM.
post #9 of 15 Old 04-30-2010, 03:51 PM Thread Starter

Here is some links to the video just in case no one has seen them.
http://www.spohn.net/shop/2010-Chevr...ontiac-G8.html

http://www.spohn.net/delsphere/

post #10 of 15 Old 05-04-2010, 10:42 AM Thread Starter

Got the Trailing Arms installed last night.
https://www.moderncamaro.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=23247

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page