Launching With Automatic Transmission - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
Drag Racing Getting your 5th Gen on the dragstrip - post results here!
STREET RACING CONTENT IS PROHIBITED

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 05-13-2010, 04:01 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member
 
RedJewel2SS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 4,449
 
Launching With Automatic Transmission

this is a goofy little video i found... no speakers here at work, but the video looks funny, yet informative!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ly6Ki...layer_embedded

April 2010 Member/Car of the Month

Gone but not Forgotten!
RedJewel2SS is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 13 Old 05-13-2010, 05:18 PM
Veteran Member
 
demonspeed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 4,544
 
That is essentially how it is done, but higher HP cars, and cars with so-so tires will want to roll into the gas so as to keep from going up in smoke.

www.fquick.com/demonspeed
Present: '02 SS #7146
Past: '89 IROC-Z|'91 Z28|'00 SS #0795|'01 Z28
demonspeed is offline  
post #3 of 13 Old 05-13-2010, 08:46 PM
Veteran Member
 
bamaproshop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Wetumpka, Alabama
Posts: 8,645
  
Garage


Awesome

2014 2LT/RS with spring edition package. Proud Litho Owner #28.
bamaproshop is offline  
 
post #4 of 13 Old 07-15-2010, 01:27 PM
Member
 
hddan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Boston
Posts: 338
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonspeed View Post
That is essentially how it is done, but higher HP cars, and cars with so-so tires will want to roll into the gas so as to keep from going up in smoke.
You are right about rolling in. My first pass at New England Dragway last year, I did what he said and sat there smokin' em up with my L99 A6, tc off. I learned to let the wheels catch while rolling into the throttle. It is hard to do this because every instinct says "go for it", don't do it, discipline yourself. This is done in "M", not "D". Do NOT use tapshift. When I did, I was into the rev limiter before I could re-act and shift.
hddan is offline  
post #5 of 13 Old 07-15-2010, 01:53 PM
Senior Member
 
JoJo Zzang's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Missouri
Posts: 585
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by hddan View Post
You are right about rolling in. My first pass at New England Dragway last year, I did what he said and sat there smokin' em up with my L99 A6, tc off. I learned to let the wheels catch while rolling into the throttle. It is hard to do this because every instinct says "go for it", don't do it, discipline yourself. This is done in "M", not "D". Do NOT use tapshift. When I did, I was into the rev limiter before I could re-act and shift.
So you put it in manual mode but don't use tapshift?
JoJo Zzang is offline  
post #6 of 13 Old 07-15-2010, 02:05 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member
 
RedJewel2SS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 4,449
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiCEADDiCTBOY View Post
So you put it in manual mode but don't use tapshift?
well, when you shift to the M, your DIC will have an "S" at the bottom left of the screen which stands for "Sport Mode", it shifts automatically, but the shifts are firmer and quicker. once you touch the tapshift, the S changes to whatever gear you shifted to and does not shift automatically, hence "manual mode"

April 2010 Member/Car of the Month

Gone but not Forgotten!
RedJewel2SS is offline  
post #7 of 13 Old 07-15-2010, 02:12 PM
Senior Member
 
JoJo Zzang's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Missouri
Posts: 585
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJewel2SS View Post
well, when you shift to the M, your DIC will have an "S" at the bottom left of the screen which stands for "Sport Mode", it shifts automatically, but the shifts are firmer and quicker. once you touch the tapshift, the S changes to whatever gear you shifted to and does not shift automatically, hence "manual mode"
Really? So I can drive in "M" without ever touching the tap shift? Is that ok for the car? I've never done that...
JoJo Zzang is offline  
post #8 of 13 Old 07-15-2010, 02:41 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member
 
RedJewel2SS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 4,449
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiCEADDiCTBOY View Post
Really? So I can drive in "M" without ever touching the tap shift? Is that ok for the car? I've never done that...
they wouldn't make it an option if it wasn't okay

April 2010 Member/Car of the Month

Gone but not Forgotten!
RedJewel2SS is offline  
post #9 of 13 Old 07-15-2010, 03:07 PM
Senior Member
 
JoJo Zzang's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Missouri
Posts: 585
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJewel2SS View Post
they wouldn't make it an option if it wasn't okay
so if this sounds or is a stupid question...but, then why bother driving in "D" if "M" is "better"?
JoJo Zzang is offline  
post #10 of 13 Old 07-15-2010, 04:29 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member
 
RedJewel2SS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 4,449
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiCEADDiCTBOY View Post
so if this sounds or is a stupid question...but, then why bother driving in "D" if "M" is "better"?
dunno, i don't even look down when i shift, and it automatically goes into D, but when i feel like getting on it, i switch to M

April 2010 Member/Car of the Month

Gone but not Forgotten!
RedJewel2SS is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome