Help!!! Slow times... - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
Drag Racing Getting your 5th Gen on the dragstrip - post results here!
STREET RACING CONTENT IS PROHIBITED

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 08-27-2011, 09:14 AM Thread Starter

Help!!! Slow times...

Took the camaro to the local 1/8th mile strip last night and I must say I am extremely disapointed with the times. Tried Several configurations on the traction control and found that having both traction control and stability track off with a 2000rpm launch gave me the best numbers. Any above 2000rpm and the track wouldn't hold the stock tires...

Anyway... Here's the best run numbers...

Reaction Time .513
60ft 2.117
330ft 6.060
594ft 8.674
1/8 ET 9.230
1/8 MPH 81.03

I had one pass with a 83.36MPH but a slower 9.275et and slower 2.245 60ft

Car is stock except for the Pypes Performance cat back exhaust. However using some online conversions I am would be looking at close to a 14.4 sec 1/4mile and that is unacceptable to me.

These times are about .5 sec slower than I was expecting and from watching several 4th gens and gto's I am thinking I must have an issue?

Advice? Do I need to do the fuse pull?

Thanks for any input you can offer. I want to try and make one more trip to the strip before replacing the rear tires... I am hoping to be in the 8.7 range or 13.5 1/4mi stock and I think that is being very conservative.

Last edited by coriroc; 08-27-2011 at 09:20 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 08-27-2011, 10:55 AM
Support MC & Troops

Read some of our threads, for track racing, I know we have some that could help ?
Plus give your camaro a tune, that will help !
Keep us updated on what you come up with

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Getting way pumped up ..LOL(Never giving up !)

The all new Convertible (Born 1/11/11) !, Welcome to the Fleet !
SHADOW 2013 GBA 2SS/RS A6 Vert (2/13/14)
"FROST 2011 SIM LT1 A6 " FIRST VERT MOTM AUGUST 2013
*PROTESTING GM*
"GIVE ME MY13'IBM ZL1 vert GM!"
post #3 of 9 Old 08-27-2011, 10:49 PM

LS3/L99?

post #4 of 9 Old 08-28-2011, 05:49 AM
Premium Member

Garage
The best thing you can do is practice your launch.

James 1:25 Ordered from Faulkner Chevy #NKCF02 1100 5/8/9 2000, 3300 7/16/9 TPW 7/20,GOT MY (low) VIN! 4000 7/24/9 ,Picked up 8/7/9!!! Signed Litho #45. Car signed by FBodfather 2011. Service: Jennings Chevy in PA. We don't "drift", kiddies... we POWER SLIDE! MOTM/COTM Sept 2012 Pro Patria Vigilans.
Click the pic.. I don't tolerate fools.
post #5 of 9 Old 08-28-2011, 09:26 AM Thread Starter

It's and L99. I know the launch makes a big difference but I thought these were low 13sec cars not mid 14's. One day I will be doing a tune but got way too much powertrain warranty left to void it.

I am going to try and do the fuse pull first. I have no idea what fuel the dealership put in so it very well may be running on an 87 octane tune.
post #6 of 9 Old 08-28-2011, 10:00 AM
Supporting Super Moderator

Launch is everything. Launch is were you pick up the most ET. I can floor it in my car in my sig for the first 60ft and let off and still coast to a high 7 or low 8 in the 1/8th, but my 60ft is around 1.4-1.5

Also ET is not effected by RT. They are two seperate timers. There are 2 beams that your front tires go thru on the start line. Once the light turns a RT timer starts then once the 2nd startline beam comes back together the RT timer stops and the ET timer starts then the ET timers stops when you pass the final beam at the end of the track.
To get the most ET you need to sit back as far as possible on those 2 beams at the start line. This gives you a rolling start when the ET timer starts. So when you stage you want to inch forward until you barely light the second stage light. If you roll and father then your roll out is reduced and you have less time to get rolling before the ET timer starts and you have a slower ET.
That is probley not anything to worry about untill you get your launch under control, but good to practice and will make a difference.

If you just got the car from a dealer it is very likely that it has 87 in it. I used to work for a couple dealers and we never put anything but 87 in any car. Some dealers may, but I doubt there are many that put 93 in. Still it comes down to the launch. If you coming out spinning, more power is just going to make it spin more. Drag radial will make a huge difference.

1998 Camaro A4 7.06 @ 96.5 MPH NA 1.47 best 60ft
2010 Camaro Tube Chassis work in progress
post #7 of 9 Old 08-28-2011, 06:53 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonppr View Post
Launch is everything. Launch is were you pick up the most ET. I can floor it in my car in my sig for the first 60ft and let off and still coast to a high 7 or low 8 in the 1/8th, but my 60ft is around 1.4-1.5

Also ET is not effected by RT. They are two seperate timers. There are 2 beams that your front tires go thru on the start line. Once the light turns a RT timer starts then once the 2nd startline beam comes back together the RT timer stops and the ET timer starts then the ET timers stops when you pass the final beam at the end of the track.
To get the most ET you need to sit back as far as possible on those 2 beams at the start line. This gives you a rolling start when the ET timer starts. So when you stage you want to inch forward until you barely light the second stage light. If you roll and father then your roll out is reduced and you have less time to get rolling before the ET timer starts and you have a slower ET.
That is probley not anything to worry about untill you get your launch under control, but good to practice and will make a difference.

If you just got the car from a dealer it is very likely that it has 87 in it. I used to work for a couple dealers and we never put anything but 87 in any car. Some dealers may, but I doubt there are many that put 93 in. Still it comes down to the launch. If you coming out spinning, more power is just going to make it spin more. Drag radial will make a huge difference.
I will go practice the launch. I knew about the RT and ET being not related. I was pretty impressed with my first few RT's (best was the .513 on a .500 light). I used to race years ago (had an 87 IROC 350 TPI) just never took the 2010 until this weekend. I have had the car since April 09 and never did the fuse pull. My guess is part of the problem just might be the dealer putting in 87 octane. Car now as 20,000 miles.

Does anyone know for sure if the dealership can tell if the computer has been reprogrammed and returned to stock. I have read conflicting information on this. I know a tune can shave as much as .5sec or more by its self due to the torque management.

Thanks Again... Keep the input coming.
post #8 of 9 Old 08-29-2011, 11:58 AM
Supporting Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by coriroc View Post
I will go practice the launch. I knew about the RT and ET being not related. I was pretty impressed with my first few RT's (best was the .513 on a .500 light). I used to race years ago (had an 87 IROC 350 TPI) just never took the 2010 until this weekend. I have had the car since April 09 and never did the fuse pull. My guess is part of the problem just might be the dealer putting in 87 octane. Car now as 20,000 miles.

Does anyone know for sure if the dealership can tell if the computer has been reprogrammed and returned to stock. I have read conflicting information on this. I know a tune can shave as much as .5sec or more by its self due to the torque management.

Thanks Again... Keep the input coming.
From what I understand about the tune, yes.
But I could be wrong. I am not 100% sure if it has a flash counter or not.
I know they can tell if it has been a tune on it while it has a tune, because they can check the bytes on the pcm vs stock, but if it does have a flash counter it will count up how many times it has been programed.

https://www.moderncamaro.com/forum/205902-post10.html
https://www.moderncamaro.com/forum/205903-post11.html

I sent you a PM

1998 Camaro A4 7.06 @ 96.5 MPH NA 1.47 best 60ft
2010 Camaro Tube Chassis work in progress
post #9 of 9 Old 01-23-2012, 08:18 AM
Veteran Member

I couldn't pull better than a 2.2 60 ft at BMP but it ran an avg [email protected] bone stock.

2010 Camaro 2 SS/RS ZEX Wet Shot, Typhoon 63 series CAI, DR Formato Tuned
JULY 2013 M.O.M winner!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page