best way to launch an A6 V8? - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
Drag Racing Getting your 5th Gen on the dragstrip - post results here!
STREET RACING CONTENT IS PROHIBITED

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 33 Old 10-27-2011, 04:03 PM Thread Starter

best way to launch an A6 V8?

so i raced my buddy the other day (no worries people, pretty remote road) who has a 2005 Mitsubishi Evo.. i beat him twice, first time at 2 car lengths and the second at just under one.. he couldn't live it down and were going again tomorrow for $100.. im wondering tho, whats the best way to launch my sexy black beast? as in how much on the throttle and how much on the break? should i use Sport mode and floor it? or use the tap shift? basically, im asking for a 1/4 mile racing 101 from the veteran camaro drivers/racers..

thanks in advance for the tips and im looking at vids online on this Evo and hoping that i didnt just throw away $100.. lol anyway ill try to get someone to record and ill post up video after the carnage..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 Old 10-27-2011, 05:51 PM
Premium Member

Garage
Post the road, date and time of the next race, please.

James 1:25 Ordered from Faulkner Chevy #NKCF02 1100 5/8/9 2000, 3300 7/16/9 TPW 7/20,GOT MY (low) VIN! 4000 7/24/9 ,Picked up 8/7/9!!! Signed Litho #45. Car signed by FBodfather 2011. Service: Jennings Chevy in PA. We don't "drift", kiddies... we POWER SLIDE! MOTM/COTM Sept 2012 Pro Patria Vigilans.
Click the pic.. I don't tolerate fools.
post #3 of 33 Old 10-28-2011, 07:24 AM
Veteran Member

Garage
Sport Mode FTW. It will make every shift perfectly at the best/same RPM.

Depending on if you exceed your traction limits at WOT, you might want to turn off TC. It is a real buzz-kill that pulls timing to deal with wheel spin.

Chuck
2010 SIM 2SS/RS A6 SC - Born on 10/05/09
MyCamaroBuildInfo

"You Were Really Flyin' When I Passed You Back There!"
February-2013-MOTM-Winner

Last edited by hypurone; 10-28-2011 at 07:58 AM.

post #4 of 33 Old 10-28-2011, 07:46 AM

Garage
I haven't raced mine, but i have an A6 v8. Sport mode by default doesn't drop to first. Only by using the tap shift's can I get into first. So, I don't think sport mode will automatically launch you in first. I believe it does in the V6's though.
post #5 of 33 Old 10-28-2011, 09:23 AM

Actually, unless you have some crazy weird tune from the factory, it will always start out in 1st, in Drive or Sport. If you're in Manual mode (having used the tap shift without exiting that mode), and come to a stop it will automatically downshift to 2nd, and then will start out in 2nd, but in just plain Sport mode (with no tap shifting), it will always do 1st gear. You can even make it start out in 3rd gear in Manual mode if your so inclined.

Many people race in Manual mode, tapping to shift when they think is best, but in all actuality, as stated earlier, racing in Sport mode (no tap shifting) is the best, and will shift perfectly and on time every time, more so if you have a trans tune. I've done manual mode a few times, and have hit the rev limiter on a number of occasions; not good for a race.

- Jeremy
post #6 of 33 Old 10-28-2011, 09:49 AM
Veteran Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Actually, unless you have some crazy weird tune from the factory, it will always start out in 1st, in Drive or Sport. If you're in Manual mode (having used the tap shift without exiting that mode), and come to a stop it will automatically downshift to 2nd, and then will start out in 2nd, but in just plain Sport mode (with no tap shifting), it will always do 1st gear. You can even make it start out in 3rd gear in Manual mode if your so inclined.

- Jeremy
See, now that is exactly what I remember. And after I had some more coffee really questioned my doubting it...

Chuck
2010 SIM 2SS/RS A6 SC - Born on 10/05/09
MyCamaroBuildInfo

"You Were Really Flyin' When I Passed You Back There!"
February-2013-MOTM-Winner
post #7 of 33 Old 10-28-2011, 09:59 AM

Garage
Quote:
Actually, unless you have some crazy weird tune from the factory, it will always start out in 1st, in Drive or Sport. Many people race in Manual mode, tapping to shift when they think is best, but in all actuality, as stated earlier, racing in Sport mode (no tap shifting) is the best, and will shift perfectly and on time every time, more so if you have a trans tune. I've done manual mode a few times, and have hit the rev limiter on a number of occasions; not good for a race.

- Jeremy
so.. I can only speak for what I see on my car.. 2011 ss vert (bone stock). put the shift lever to M - while completely stopped and the car is in second gear. Maybe I'm missing something. Only by using the tap shifter am I able to put the car in manual mode and select my gears.
post #8 of 33 Old 10-28-2011, 10:02 AM

Wow, thats weird, I haven't driven a late auto 2011 yet... interesting.
So when in Sport mode, you come to a stop, if you then hit the left tap button (to go into manual downshift), it will actually kick the car forward some, as it shifts into 1st gear?

- Jeremy
post #9 of 33 Old 10-28-2011, 10:08 AM

Garage
Quote:
Wow, thats weird, I haven't driven a late auto 2011 yet... interesting.
So when in Sport mode, you come to a stop, if you then hit the left tap button (to go into manual downshift), it will actually kick the car forward some, as it shifts into 1st gear?

- Jeremy
Exactly.. if you have a V8. the V6's are geared a bit different and they will always go to first. You can validate this by upshifting when you are stopped and see what gear it is shows and subtract 1.

The below is taken from a post on another forum, and that's the way it works on mine.

To clarify this a little more:

1. DRIVE: regular driving

2. SPORT MODE 1: Shift down to "M" and push the gas and go! the trans will shift automatically but the shift points are higher

3) is MANUAL mode where the shifter is in M and you use the paddles to shift. You HAVE to up shift but can let the the computer do the down shift. IN this fashion, the computer will put you into 2nd gear and never 1st. To want to get into 1st, you have the tap shift it further.

4) is just like 3) but you control both the up and down shift. This is by far the "sportiest" as you completely control when to shift. There are still protections because the computer can deny your shift, so it's safe.

If you are in MANUAL mode (i.e. tap shifting with paddles) you can remain in this mode as long as you want. Once you put the shifter back to D or hold the right paddle for a few seconds in 6th gear (not in all A6s) then you are out of the MANUAL mode. You will have to move the shifter to M again before you can use the tap shifts.

An important note in M mode, you should think like a stick shift driver to enjoy this mode. Get the engine rev up fairly quickly and and then shift. If you just lightly ease into the gas and shift, the delays (slipping like) will be more noticeable. Test it out and enjoy.

Competition Mode have to do with traction and stability controls and not the transmission.

Last edited by Cam62; 10-28-2011 at 10:11 AM.
post #10 of 33 Old 10-28-2011, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam62 View Post
Exactly.. if you have a V8. the V6's are geared a bit different and they will always go to first. You can validate this by upshifting when you are stopped and see what gear it is shows and subtract 1.

The below is taken from a post on another forum, and that's the way it works on mine.....
I agree with that quoted post, in Manual mode it will only downshift to 2nd gear, but in Sport it will go all the way to 1st...
Maybe I'll have to find a late 2011 and drive it.

- Jeremy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page