2010 SS - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
Drag Racing Getting your 5th Gen on the dragstrip - post results here!
STREET RACING CONTENT IS PROHIBITED

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 09-15-2014, 06:47 PM Thread Starter

2010 SS

So I took my A6 to the track for the first time Friday. I have headers, CAI, Cat Deletes, Ted Jannetty tune with street tires. I ran 8.67 about 4 times in a row. I got into 2nd round and ran a 8.668. I couldn't grip. I was spinning through out half track in 2nd gear on Stock Pirellis. I feathered it on the 2nd round and ran a bit faster. Needless to say I need new tires.... What should I be running?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 09-15-2014, 07:01 PM
Veteran Member

Garage
For max traction you should lower the rear tire pressures when at the track. If your tires are almost worn out or you just plain hate the Pirelli's like I did, then yes you should look at other tires. Nitto Invo's are a fantastic all around tire. I use them (albeit in larger sizes) to help with traction problems I have induced on my beast. The Nitto NT-05's are a more grippy version that would deliver about as much traction as you could get without going to a drag radial (NT-05R)...

As always there are a lot of diff tires out there and you have to make a decision about traction vs wear vs cost etc.... I am recommending the Nitto's based on all 3 categories and FHE with them.

The only other tire I would consider at this point (IF they ever get around to making a 315) would be the Comp 2's. But then I am still trying to get some mileage out of mine as I HATE having to have my custom wheels messed with!

Chuck
2010 SIM 2SS/RS A6 SC - Born on 10/05/09
MyCamaroBuildInfo

"You Were Really Flyin' When I Passed You Back There!"
February-2013-MOTM-Winner
post #3 of 9 Old 09-15-2014, 07:09 PM Thread Starter

I actually went and bought Comp 2. I hope they grip better. What do yall recommend for tire pressure at the track? What kind of times shouls I expect?

post #4 of 9 Old 09-15-2014, 07:37 PM Thread Starter

And yes I really disliked the Perellis
post #5 of 9 Old 09-16-2014, 08:47 AM
Veteran Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by traviss224 View Post
I actually went and bought Comp 2. I hope they grip better. What do yall recommend for tire pressure at the track?
You will need to experiment with the pressures. As a baseline I would start with 30-32psi cold, then start messing around with it. On my 65 GTO I had to lower them to 26 for best traction (they were bias not radial) and I run the Invo's at 32 all day, every day on the rear of the Camaro on the street....

Chuck
2010 SIM 2SS/RS A6 SC - Born on 10/05/09
MyCamaroBuildInfo

"You Were Really Flyin' When I Passed You Back There!"
February-2013-MOTM-Winner
post #6 of 9 Old 10-05-2014, 11:58 PM Thread Starter

Well i got down to 8.37 1.9s 60. However I am still spinning some but things are getting better.
post #7 of 9 Old 10-11-2014, 09:32 PM

Garage
my neighbor bought a 2014 roush

Like I said above. My neighbor recently purchased a 2014 Stage 3 Roush Mustang. 3 weeks after buying the CaR he had the pullies changed. He has 639 rwhp. So we decided to line them up because I'm so tired of hearing how fast his Stang is. I beat him by 1.5 car links. He says he couldn't get any traction and he was spinning half way down the track. Now he is buying street slicks. Either way both cars have street tires and the Bowtie WON..
Just goes to show the difference in drivers.
Go Bowtie !!

post #8 of 9 Old 11-06-2014, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by traviss224 View Post
Well i got down to 8.37 1.9s 60. However I am still spinning some but things are getting better.
Try running with a full tank of fuel you need the weight to get better traction.

I know it is opposite of what most do but worth a try on the stock tires.

Ted.

Technical information, Parts Sales, Professional Installation, and Custom Dyno Tuning.
Ted Jannetty, Jannetty Racing Ent Inc.
203-753-7223
[email protected]
Performance Parts
post #9 of 9 Old 09-11-2018, 05:12 AM

M&H makes the best tire for street and strip cars. There is nothing close. And just to make sure we're not in the Land of Make Believe your times are for 1/8 mile correct?

Twice forever banned from C5 club and working on a 3rd
No Hope
Ratt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page