Sticking clutch pedal issues - Tick Performance feels your pain! - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
Drivetrain Discussion Automatic | Manual | Drivetrain | Gears & Axles

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 Old 09-22-2011, 12:35 PM Thread Starter

Thumbs up Sticking clutch pedal issues - Tick Performance feels your pain!

As a new sponsor here on ModernCamaro, I'm seeing a few of threads made by folks having issues with their clutch pedals sticking to the floor during aggressive driving. We here at Tick Performance have a very good understanding of this all-too-familiar problem, as it has been happening to all performance-oriented GM vehicles for years. We've totally solved this issue in many other applications (you can even read about our Adjustable Master Cylinder kit for 04-06 GTO in GM High Tech magazine, here); unfortunately there is no 100% solution for the 2010+ V8 Camaro yet.

The cause of the problem: the stock clutch master cylinder simply doesn't flow enough fluid to push the clutch slave cylinder far enough to fully disengage the clutch. This produces extreme heat inside the bellhousing, boiling the fluid inside the hydraulic system (thus introducing air) and causing a faded (or totally dead) clutch pedal. Other side effects include difficulty shifting at high RPMs, difficulty engaging 1st and Reverse while stopped, shortened clutch life and shortened transmission life. We've been seeing this exact issue for years in many applications.

Known Band-Aids for the problem: Notice we say band-aids, not fixes. These items may help your problem, although they won't solve it:
  • Tick Performance Stainless Braided Clutch Line (here)
  • Lingenfelter Clutch Pedal Return Kit (here)
  • Tick Performance Slave Cylinder Shim Kit (3 Pack) (here)
  • Keeping fluid fresh and free of clutch dust
  • Using exotic, expensive aftermarket hydraulic fluid
  • We've even seen some reservoir modifications, etc
Unfortunately, these items will only help ease the symptoms of the problem, best case scenario.

There is only one way to SOLVE the problem: by upgrading the master cylinder to move more fluid. Our Adjustable Master Cylinder kits that utilize a bigger bore cylinder have solved this problem in thousands of other GM applications (93-02 F-Body, 97-08 Corvette, 04-06 GTO, etc) but in 2009, GM changed the way the computer monitors the clutch master cylinder, making it impossible to use our kit as designed. This leaves 2009+ Corvette owners, 2009 G8 GXP owners and 2010+ V8 Camaro owners without a solution for the time being.

We certainly haven't given up. Our engineers are still working to design a kit that will work as intended with the stock computer, but we've not gotten anything to build on - yet. I wish I had an ETA on a solution or at least a better idea on a timeline for everyone, but at this point there is no information available. Just know that we're definitely aware of the problem, we definitely know how to solve it, and we're working hard to make an Adjustable Master Cylinder Kit a reality for these cars.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 03-03-2012, 06:50 PM

Garage
Any updates on a solution for this issue yet that I may have missed? I had this happen to my 99 SS and I can't believe GM has yet to take care of this common problem!
post #3 of 3 Old 01-05-2019, 03:57 PM

Anyone know if there has been a solution to this problem yet? My clutch pedal is sticking in 1st gear and I'm sure it's only going to get worse.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page