Modern Camaro Forums banner

Auto or Manual

3K views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  Midnight SS L99 
#1 ·
Choices Auto or Manual. What made you pick one over the other.
For me I've owned both. so this time i went with comfort. got tired of stop and go traffic. and the autos of today or no slush boxes of the 70's and 80's.
Plus the paddles or fun. i had a 2013 5.0 Mustang auto. and i can say the camaro's auto is way better. great transmission

#2 ·
Well I was up in the air originally, wasn't hard set on one or the other ... went and drove the automatic, but the dealer didn't have a manual ... I asked them to let me know when they got a manual in ... they never did (bold fail) ... I had mine built out with everything I wanted, so I knew exactly what I was shopping for or was going to order when the 13's came out (it was too late to order a 12 and there wasn't anything close to I wanted anywhere within reason) ... I went on vacation in SC and did my usual check on what was available and up popped "my" Camaro, everything I wanted ... it was an automatic, so I took it. I have driven a manual since, my was that touchy. Of course, my clutch experience was all on little economy 4 bangers, so I'm sure it was getting used to something new more than anything else. That all said, I am perfectly happy with my auto.

#3 ·
I went with the auto. It's a touch faster than the manual, easier in heavy traffic, which I have to endure daily, plus, I can use TapShift any time I want to.

#5 ·
I just wanted a base model car since it's my daily driver.

The 2LS had poor gearing and lack of features, for less money I could get a manual with better gearing and a posi.

I went with the manual for that reason.

#6 ·
I was back and forth until I read they (GM) were going to use the Tremec manual trans. :barf: I knew the track record of that trans from my time in the automotive world as a tech and service writer and with the "shared" fluid system with the brakes I saw a recipe for disaster. Especially with my planned mods.... Plus I was tired of shifting!

Hello 6L80E! A really great trans out of the box and when the mods started, its' programming could be further "optimized" to go with everything. Talk about lightning shifts!! :eek:

LOVE MY TAPSHIFT! :yay:

#7 · (Edited)
Sorry, I see this is an 3 year old thread....now

I was a little disappointed in the L99 when I first bought it but thats only because Im new to the 5th gen. Camaro and all of its features.
After the first month I have most of it figured out. I can put the shifter in "M" = sport mode, and double click the fun button and drive the car "without" the paddle shifters and its a totally different animal. The car actually knows when I want to be aggressive and when Im just cruising and compensates on its own.

Just the K&N performance air intake woke up the throttle response and the resonator delete with X pipe and borla axle back gave it the sound I wanted so that did the trick. I love it.

I'm happy enough with it for now in that configuration to postpone a complete Dyno Tune until a later date.

Over all Im totally impressed.

Reactions: JWD621
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.