Modern Camaro Forums banner

Let's compare Mustang & Camaro stock dyno charts!

30K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  ThomasWarren 
#1 ·
Something that's always interesting to look at is stock dyno charts....

Here are two separate dyno charts comparing a stock 2011 Mustang GT and a stock 2010 Camaro SS.
In each case, both cars are as stock as they rolled off the factory line, both are 6-speed manuals, and both are using 93 octane gas.

Dyno runs by IPS on the same day:
Red lines are Camaro, Blue lines are Mustang.

Dyno runs by LG Motorsports (same dyno, but different days)
Green lines are Camaro, Red lines are Mustang

While the peak numbers are similar, as you can see the power bands are quite different.

As you can plainly see by the dyno charts, Camaro definitely has the power advantage where it counts! :cool:

See less See more
#3 ·
What it doesn't take into consideration is gearing and weight. The Mustang has optional 3.73's (standard are 3.55 IIRC) vs. Camaro 3.45. Right there will help with the torque deficit. I don't even need to elaborate on weight as the Camaro is the porker of the two.

It's not all about dyno numbers :)

#6 ·
SO? Slap in a set of 4.11s

#7 ·
The only reasons Mustang is lighter is because the brakes are smaller, the wheels are smaller, and it has less equipment.
Bring those items up to par with Camaro's equipment and the weight difference would be negligible.

So... on the weight issue...
Take a base V8 Mustang and a base V8 Camaro...
  • Remove the Mustang's seats and put in the Camaro's seats - front and rear.
  • Take off the Mustang's brakes and put on the Camaro's brakes.
  • Take off the Mustang's wheels and tires and put on the Camaro's wheels and tires.
  • Remove the Mustang's live axle rear end and replace it with the Camaro's 4.5-link IRS.
  • Take out the Camaro's 2 curtain airbags and their associated sensors and electronics, and put them in the Mustang.
Now weigh the Mustang.
What you'll have is a vehicle that is only about 50lbs lighter than the base V8 Camaro, and still has a chassis that's not as rigid.
Add some steel reinforcements (aka more weight) to fix that.

(If I could afford to actually do this, I would!
....anyone got Uncle Donald's phone number? :D )

Why are Camaro's seats heavier? They're larger, thicker, and more comfortable.
Why are Camaro's brakes heavier? They're bigger.
Why are Camaro's wheels and tires heavier? They're larger in diameter and wider.
IRS is known to weigh considerably more than a live axle.
In 2003, the difference in weight between a Mustang's live axle and a Cobra's IRS was 80lbs, and that was a 4-link.
I would bet Camaro's 4.5-link IRS weighs 100lbs more than a Mustang's live axle.
Adding the 2 curtain air bags will of course add their weight.

Obviously none of the Camaro's parts would actually bolt up on the Mustang, but you get the idea. :)

#8 · (Edited)
On the street/track/bench, it doesn't matter "change this -- modify that." The fact of the matter is, the 5.0, while marginally underpowered compared to the 6.2, is still lighter and better geared from the factory. When people say "well, do this to the Camaro and..." Ok, then do the same to the Mustang. I remember these same conversations in 2002 with the introduction of the "Terminator."

I am a Camaro fan like everyone else on this site, I would even go as far to say moreso than many as I did not just jump on the Camaro bandwagon with the introduction of the 5th gen, but lets not be blinded by our loyalty. Knowing your competition is just as important as the pride in your own car.

#9 · (Edited)
Knowing how much of a difference 4.10's made in my car, if GM offered at least a 3.73 option, I think that would go a long way in helping the car NOT feel heavy to most people.

I'm not blinded by my loyalty...I thought it was a great car in stock form, but my eyes opened BIGTIME...the car is soooooo much better with all the mods I've done...it no longer feels like a heavy car and gone is that "drive by wire" feel.

#13 · (Edited)
the SS in Camaro stands for Stock Sucks...

i'll give the Mustang the nod from the factory, unfortunately, very few people race factory...

people seem to forget the Mustang comes with 3.73s and shorty headers from the factory... it dang well better run good, because a LS3 Camaro with 3.73s and Doug Thorley Shorties would put it on a GT, lol

the fact of the matter is, a LS engine is always a cam away from some serious numbers... its all fun and games to compare bolt-on to bolt-on... then comes a $350 cam, $800 worth of valve springs, retainers, and pushrods, and suddenly bring a blower for your Mustang....... I mean yeah, you can put cams in a Mustang.... but for that money, I could have a header/cam/nitrous camaro, lol... because its a $2000 job on a Pony and that is doing the install yourself

and don't even get me started on the spray, like the SBFs love the boost, the SBCs love the spray... and guess which one is cheaper... oh but people will say "yeah but you have to pay to fill your bottle"... i'll take a $40 fill up on a $1100 setup for an extra 150hp all day every day, its going to take A LOT of $40 fill ups to pay for a $7000 blower(well that kind of money for the kit and supporting mods/tuning), lol

#14 ·
the SS in Camaro stands for Stock Sucks...

i'll give the Mustang the nod from the factory, unfortunately, very few people race factory...

people seem to forget the Mustang comes with 3.73s and shorty headers from the factory... it dang well better run good, because a LS3 Camaro with 3.73s and Doug Thorley Shorties would put it on a GT, lol
:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

#16 ·
:agree: Chevy hands down !

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.