Stock Pontiac G8 GT dyno tune = +34rwhp! - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
Dyno Results & Bench Racing Dyno your 5th Gen? Post the numbers here! How fast will it go?

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 04-05-2008, 09:45 PM Thread Starter
ModernCamaro.com Founder / Former Camaro Disciple

Stock Pontiac G8 GT dyno tune = +34rwhp!

34rwhp picked up on a dyno tune, and still on 87 octane

Taken from another forum:

Quote:
Got to dyno a bone stock Pontiac G8 today. Nice car. Boy does GM cover their back-sides with all the timing reduction for temperature in coolant and IAT. Also very rich mixture.

Spent lots of time working on the tune since this customer would only run 87 octane. The results were very positive.

Baseline numbers were 279 rwhp, 299 rwtq
Tuned numbers were 313 rwhp, 328 rwtq

Because this tune was done on a Mustang dyno, we were also able to run the G8 on a 1/4 simulation.

Stock 1/4 mile dyno run: 13.44 @ 104 mph
Tuned 1/4 mile dyno run: 12.81 @ 109 mph
Tuned 1/4 mile dyno run with torque management removed: 12.49 @ 111 mph

Don't know how accurate the 1/4 mile dyno runs will be compared to the track, but a 13.44 @ 104 mph is not too far off of what stock G8s seem to be running. The owner plans on taking the car to the track soon so we'll have some real world results to back these up. Gotta love technology. We dropped nearly a second ET and we didn't have to turn a wrench.

I also made the AFM much more aggressive so the motor will cruise in 4 cylinder mode all the time cruising down the highway. I know this was good for a 2-3 mpg gain on my Suburban. I would expect similar gains on the G8. In this day of nearly $4 per gallon fuel, it's nice to gain over 30 rwhp and increase fuel economy at the same time.
Very nice!! Now tune it for 93 octane, and it'd pick up another 5-10hp.

Wow, these things are going to respond nicely to mods!

2001 Camaro Z28 H/C/I LH6 A4 3.42

Like ModernCamaro.com on Facebook!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 04-05-2008, 10:05 PM
See You On Course

That's amazing! Guess I'll be taking my Camaro to a dyno shop as soon as I get it for this same treatment. It's funny that GM can't tune these stock for these better numbers.

2010 Stock IBM 2SS/RS

I found $80 in my jeans pocket. The kid in me said "buy nerf guns and candy!" But then the adult in me said "buy vodka, nerf guns and candy!"

post #3 of 9 Old 04-06-2008, 12:34 AM
Veteran Member

nahh id do a 89 octane tune so i don't have to buy the stuff that is 3.50 a gallon but that is kool what motor is in this car?

post #4 of 9 Old 04-06-2008, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazjetman View Post
nahh id do a 89 octane tune so i don't have to buy the stuff that is 3.50 a gallon but that is kool what motor is in this car?

the one that possible will be in the new Camaro

1994 Z28 Autobot

I would like to thank the person that came up with these fine avatar and signature's.
post #5 of 9 Old 04-06-2008, 12:11 PM

That's alot to free up on 87 octane. The fuel mileage probably jumped as well.
post #6 of 9 Old 04-06-2008, 12:59 PM
Veteran Member

I don't see the Dodge Challenger coming close to these numbers. Way to go, GM!!!! High performance, good value, good looks, good MPG. Where is Japan now? Maybe they can confiscate a G8 and try to copy it, cuz thats what they do best.

Bob Lutz: "There's no doubt that a design-driven philosophy is the only one that will work. People who are not sensitive to design, people who don't care about vehicles, people who view a vehicle as an appliance, they just default to Toyota. We will never win that one."
post #7 of 9 Old 04-06-2008, 01:57 PM
Mid
Super Moderator

I must say, I'm impressed with the G8....If I need more space and every day driving comfort, I'd buy this over the Camaro.

post #8 of 9 Old 04-06-2008, 02:18 PM

wtf 12.4 just a tune no power adders?
post #9 of 9 Old 04-06-2008, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavin View Post
wtf 12.4 just a tune no power adders?
That's the dyno simulation 1/4 mile time in a perfect world. Still, that is impressive as hell.

I'm liking the G8 more and more. Once my wife gets her's she will be wondering why I want to drive it all the time. LOL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page