LED Dash Lights install - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
Electronics & Audio Stereo Components | Lighting | Radars | Alarms

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 02-14-2011, 04:58 PM Thread Starter

LED Dash Lights install

Wassup everybody, I would like to know if anyone has any instructions on how to add LED lights behind the the door panels and dash inserts. I'm patiently waiting to get my car back and as soon as I'm adding Red Ostrich to the panels and would like to add some red light behind it.

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~ Aristotle
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 02-15-2011, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverback18 View Post
Wassup everybody, I would like to know if anyone has any instructions on how to add LED lights behind the the door panels and dash inserts. I'm patiently waiting to get my car back and as soon as I'm adding Red Ostrich to the panels and would like to add some red light behind it.
I've done that to the dash on my 2LT, and there are some threads on how to do that on that other site.

If you don't have any lighting now, you'll want to attach the lights to the yellow and black wires that light up your window switch.
post #3 of 5 Old 02-15-2011, 04:52 PM Thread Starter

ok cool, and some info is up on camaro5?

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~ Aristotle

post #4 of 5 Old 02-15-2011, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverback18 View Post
ok cool, and some info is up on camaro5?
Yes. Initially it was discovered by me that you could use the traction control switch, and the door window switches for attaching the lights in the door and in the dash.

Here is a catch though, the ambient light circuit is slightly different than the Instrument panel circuit. The only difference I can tell is that the light will not go off if you dim everything to their lowest levels.

You may want to check car-part.com or ebay and see if you can find some salvage 2LT or 2SS panels to get the door lights and trim.

I also discovered you can use any color 5mm LED light as long as you have the resistor on there so you don't fry it at 12 volts. You can attach them to light tubes VIA a small piece of aquarium tubing.

Hope that helps.
post #5 of 5 Old 02-15-2011, 06:11 PM

This is the system I used. It looks great. It is about 8 hours of labor and $40 worth of material.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47924

They show a plug by the fuse block that they say you can use for the ABL. It probably is not on your car. It was on the very early models but was eliminated in mid 2010. Read the entire thread before starting.

2SS/RS L99 A6, RotoFab CAI, Kooks LT headers w/High Flow cats, Borla CAT back, Heritage grill, SmartMirror, ABL lighting, drilled and slotted rotors w/Hawk pads, 400 watt amp.

Life is too short to drive an ugly car.
I bought mine from Camaro Scotty!

Last edited by dconradt; 02-15-2011 at 06:15 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page