Condensation inside headlight - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
Electronics & Audio Stereo Components | Lighting | Radars | Alarms

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 10-14-2011, 10:34 AM Thread Starter

Condensation inside headlight

https://www.moderncamaro.com/forum/at...1&d=1318609970

I noticed that I keep getting condensation inside my drivers side headlight and turn signal. The passenger side is always dry. I'm going to take it back to the dealer, but wanted to know if anyone else has experienced the same issue.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo (6).JPG
Views:	1004
Size:	110.9 KB
ID:	11865  

2012 2LT RS 45th Anniversary Edition
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 10-20-2011, 01:23 PM

Has not happened to me yet. That blows. Take it back and have them replace it.
post #3 of 9 Old 10-20-2011, 01:37 PM
Supporting Super Moderator

01-08-42-001H: Exterior Lamp Condensation and Replacement Guidelines - (Jan 5, 2011)

Subject: Exterior Lamp Condensation and Replacement Guidelines

Models: 2011 and Prior GM Passenger Cars and Trucks (including Saturn)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This bulletin is being revised to add the 2011 model year. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 01-08-42-001G (Section 08 - Body and Accessories).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The following information is being provided to better define the causes of condensation in exterior lamps and includes guidelines for determining the difference between a lamp with a normal atmospheric condition (condensation) and a lamp with a water leak.

Some exterior lamps, such as cornering, turn signal, backup, headlamps or tail lamps may exhibit very small droplets of water, a fine mist or white fog (condensation) on the inside of the lamp lens. This may be more noticeable on lamps with "multi-lens" designs and may be normal during certain weather conditions.

Condensation occurs when the air inside the lamp assembly, through atmospheric changes, reaches the "dew point". When this takes place, the moisture in the air within the lamp assembly condenses, creating a fine mist or white fog on the inside surface of the lamp lens.

Most exterior lamps on General Motors vehicles use a vented design and feature a replaceable bulb assembly. They are designed to remove any accumulated moisture vapor by expelling it through a vent system. The vent system operates at all times, however, it is most effective when the lamps are ON or when the vehicle is in motion. Depending on the size, shape and location of the lamp on the vehicle, and the atmospheric conditions occurring, the amount of time required to clear the lamp may vary from 2 to 6 hours.

Completely sealed headlamp assemblies (sealed beams) are still used on a limited number of models being manufactured today. These lamps require the replacement of the complete lamp assembly if a bulb filament burns out.

Condensation
2006 TrailBlazer Shown

A Fine Mist or White Fog on the Inside Surface of the Lamp Lens Occurring After a Period of High Humidity
• May be located primarily in the lens corners (near the vents) and SHOULD NOT cover more than half the lens surface.

• The condition should clear of moisture when the vehicle is parked in a dry environment, or when the vehicle is driven with the lights ON.

• A comparison of the equivalent lamp on the opposing side of the vehicle indicates a SIMILAR performance.

If the above conditions are noted, the customer should be advised that replacement of a lamp assembly may not correct this condition.

Water Leak
New Style Pickup Shown

Numerous & Various Size Drops of Water Collecting on the Inside Surface of the Lamp Lens After the Vehicle Has Been Exposed to Rain or a Car Washing Environment
• A condition that covers more than half the surface of the lamp lens.

• An accumulation of water in the bottom of the lamp assembly.

• A condition that WON'T clear when the vehicle is parked in a dry environment, or when the vehicle is driven with the lights ON.

• A comparison of the equivalent lamp on the opposing side of the vehicle indicates a different performance.

Any of the above conditions would indicate the need to service the lens or lamp assembly.

1998 Camaro A4 7.06 @ 96.5 MPH NA 1.47 best 60ft
2010 Camaro Tube Chassis work in progress

post #4 of 9 Old 10-20-2011, 01:41 PM

I have the same issue on my Malibu on the drivers side only.

I have to take mine in. It does it everytime it rains. I know that later it will turn the inside of the lamp and make it have a haze on the inside.

I think I need to take it thru the car wash for about 4 days in a row and then take it in so they don't try to give me crap about not having enough water inside of it. IMO if it is doing this then they should replace it becasue it will ruin the lense.

post #5 of 9 Old 10-20-2011, 01:59 PM Thread Starter

Mine does it even if I haven't washed it or hasn't rained. If there is high humidity it does it. I'm going to take it to the dealer this weekend and see what they say.

post #6 of 9 Old 10-20-2011, 02:24 PM
Bully Proof

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezzmo View Post
Mine does it even if I haven't washed it or hasn't rained. If there is high humidity it does it. I'm going to take it to the dealer this weekend and see what they say.
When they replace it...you need to be sure that they replace both headlamps because the HIDs change colors slightly with age. So if you have HIDs...they need to be replaced at the same time or they will vary slightly in color which should be totally unacceptable in a new 45th Anniversary Camaro or any new Camaro for that matter.
post #7 of 9 Old 10-20-2011, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Envy View Post
When they replace it...you need to be sure that they replace both headlamps because the HIDs change colors slightly with age. So if you have HIDs...they need to be replaced at the same time or they will vary slightly in color which should be totally unacceptable in a new 45th Anniversary Camaro or any new Camaro for that matter.
Are the HIDs made into the lense? If not they probley won't relplace the bulb, so there would be no change.

post #8 of 9 Old 10-20-2011, 11:57 PM

Well being a GM tech I can tell you that the dealer will not replace both headlights to avoid one being slightly different in color.
And that there are certain criteria to replace a headlamp for condensation just cause water gets in it does not mean you'll be getting a new one , but maybe if ur an ignorant enough customer they will do it to shut you up and keep you happy. Happens at my dealership all the time.
post #9 of 9 Old 10-21-2011, 06:15 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
but maybe if ur an ignorant enough customer they will do it to shut you up and keep you happy. Happens at my dealership all the time.
We I can assure you that unless they give me the answer that I want, I can get pretty "ignorant".

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page