audio upgrade advice - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
Electronics & Audio Stereo Components | Lighting | Radars | Alarms

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 10-30-2011, 07:50 AM Thread Starter

Smile audio upgrade advice

Newbie here with a '12 RS convertible. I'd like to upgrade my audio system.
I like the factory radio and want to keep it. What can I add to increase sound (quality and volume) in my car? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 10-30-2011, 08:24 AM
Veteran Member

A new amp for volume, new speakers and/or a digital sound processor for quality. EDIT: You can snag those here: http://www.crutchfield.com/ at decent prices, great company.
The only bad thing about the 'vert is that the rear speakers are only like 3.5"..which doesn't leave much with which to work.

Also do you have the boston acoustics sound system or the normal setup?

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Clarkson
A turbo, exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, with a supercharger, air goes in, witchcraft happens and you go faster.
Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

Last edited by Luwinkle; 10-30-2011 at 08:26 AM.
post #3 of 11 Old 10-30-2011, 04:56 PM Thread Starter

Base system

post #4 of 11 Old 10-31-2011, 10:37 AM
ユキヒョウ

Too bad it's for a 'vert. I have a corner sub+enclosure and amp that I took out of my '10 SS before I traded it.

2019 1SS/1LE

Last edited by Nancygrl; 10-31-2011 at 10:40 AM.
post #5 of 11 Old 11-01-2011, 10:06 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaromark View Post
Base system
Crutchfield, they'll show you what they have that fits the car.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Clarkson
A turbo, exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, with a supercharger, air goes in, witchcraft happens and you go faster.
Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #6 of 11 Old 11-02-2011, 10:40 AM
ユキヒョウ

For all my other vehicles past & present I've used crutchfield, been pretty happy with their offerings.

2019 1SS/1LE
post #7 of 11 Old 02-22-2012, 01:01 PM

I recommend you call Dennis Dummer at Double D Mods at (608) 568-3011.

I'm not affiliated with him in any way. He's a supporting vendor of the Corvette Forum. I've purchased a Kenwood head unit and speakers from him in the past.

He knows his stuff and is a really good guy to work with. His prices are as good as anyone else's I've seen.

I've only done Corvette audio business with him, but I expect he knows his Camaro stuff as well.
post #8 of 11 Old 02-23-2012, 12:12 PM

I second that for Dennis. He is very knowledgeable and is very responsive to phone calls and e-mails.
post #9 of 11 Old 02-23-2012, 03:33 PM
Premium Member

Garage
Go with Crutchfield. They even have wiring kits that plug right in with NO cut and splice, and NO hacking up your nice new Camaro.

James 1:25 Ordered from Faulkner Chevy #NKCF02 1100 5/8/9 2000, 3300 7/16/9 TPW 7/20,GOT MY (low) VIN! 4000 7/24/9 ,Picked up 8/7/9!!! Signed Litho #45. Car signed by FBodfather 2011. Service: Jennings Chevy in PA. We don't "drift", kiddies... we POWER SLIDE! MOTM/COTM Sept 2012 Pro Patria Vigilans.
Click the pic.. I don't tolerate fools.
post #10 of 11 Old 06-04-2014, 06:54 PM

I kept my factory head unit too, lot of features already in it so why not keep it..

this is a good thing to use,, it includes a harness that interfaces directly between your radio and speakers so you can add a 4 channel amp without cutting any factory wiring,you just have to run power from your ignition..

Amazon.com: PAC AA-GM44 Amplifier Integration Interface for Select 2010 and Up GM Vehicles: Automotive Amazon.com: PAC AA-GM44 Amplifier Integration Interface for Select 2010 and Up GM Vehicles: Automotive

now you can use the included adapter to convert the signal to RCA amp signals or you can do what I did and modify the harness to send speaker level inputs to an amp that will accept them,,, the later is good because you don't have to mount the converter and run separate power and ground lines to it,, plus find a place to mount it, there is not much room behind the stock head unit either,,

Also I atrongly suggest that you get a 5 channel amp, especially with your convertible so you can add a Sub later if you desire, I regret only using a 4 channel because now I want a sub.. although it's not as big an issue in my coupe because it has 6x9's in the back which give plenty of bass.

also you can use a higher quality signal converter like this if you like, but I decided not too because the amp had lots of setting on it's own anyway and using this type of converter only makes the install more complicated.

AudioControl LC6i (Gray) 6-channel line output converter for adding outboard amps to your factory audio system at Crutchfield.com

and of course the most important thing is to replace the speakers, that by itself is the single best thing you can do for sound quality, they put the cheapest pieces of junk they can make in at the factory.

2012 1LS Silver Ice - Mods - SS Strut Brace, RX Catch Can, BBK CAI, TRS Bi-Xenon HID's, Blackout Grill, RX65 Radar Detector, 700watt 4 Channel Amp with Kicker Speakers, 4Pack Gauges Added, 30% tint. Baer Drilled Rotors & pads, 20" American Racing. Awesome car.

Last edited by CyberPunk223; 06-04-2014 at 07:04 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page