Sub enclosure in trunk. Front or rear facing - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
Electronics & Audio Stereo Components | Lighting | Radars | Alarms

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 11-15-2011, 12:26 AM Thread Starter

Sub enclosure in trunk. Front or rear facing

Hi all I wanna put a Sub enclosure in trunk of my 2010 camaro. I cant decide on Front or rear facing and ported or sealed sub box. Help..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 11-15-2011, 10:06 AM
Veteran Member

Garage
Sealed will get a better crisp beat. Ported is louder and not as crisp. I have a 10inch sub with 250wt amp pushing it and it sounds great. It sits in the left side fender area. Check out my pics and you will see it. Go to SubThump - and you can see more choices and get either side so you still have a trunk left over.
Bill

2010 Camaro 2SS/RS 6spd 426hp
December 2013 Member of the Month
post #3 of 8 Old 11-27-2011, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kc0cmj View Post
Sealed will get a better crisp beat. Ported is louder and not as crisp. I have a 10inch sub with 250wt amp pushing it and it sounds great. It sits in the left side fender area. Check out my pics and you will see it. Go to SubThump - and you can see more choices and get either side so you still have a trunk left over.
Bill
Great find and reasonably priced!

post #4 of 8 Old 01-03-2012, 10:57 PM

Garage
Unlinke other speakers, the direction the sub faces is not so important UNLESS you are using the placement to push air. Otherwise, forward, rearward...you won't really hear a diff if it is a simple sealed enclosure. Band-pass (ported) boxes, you'll want that port facing where the air will not immediatley strike a surface...they usually work best facing rear. These boxes are great for deep bass, are tuned to produce specific frequency ranges, and are not so much for SPL so don't expect them to hit very hard. And, as stated earlier, the bass hit will not be as crisp, but it will be deep and low if the box (port) is tuned right.
post #5 of 8 Old 03-13-2012, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhiiidoc View Post
Unlinke other speakers, the direction the sub faces is not so important UNLESS you are using the placement to push air. Otherwise, forward, rearward...you won't really hear a diff if it is a simple sealed enclosure. Band-pass (ported) boxes, you'll want that port facing where the air will not immediatley strike a surface...they usually work best facing rear. These boxes are great for deep bass, are tuned to produce specific frequency ranges, and are not so much for SPL so don't expect them to hit very hard. And, as stated earlier, the bass hit will not be as crisp, but it will be deep and low if the box (port) is tuned right.
Actually a rear facing sub will sound better......the longer the sound has to travel the more impact it has....sealed boxes play all types of music and have better power handling and better attack..ported will be efficient and sound really good provided it plays at the frequency it is tuned for.......bandpass enclosures arent really so great for mobile audio most of the enclosers have the woofers mounted the the sealed part of the box which a bad thing because by the time you hear the woofers coming apart its too late ,but if a bandpass is designed right it can sound really Good

Last edited by Poohdogger; 03-13-2012 at 10:49 PM.
post #6 of 8 Old 03-16-2012, 10:46 AM

This is the rear facing enclosure i purchased from subthump..I think it sounds great
post #7 of 8 Old 03-18-2012, 05:49 PM
Premium Member

Garage
A sealed enclosure is the way to go for overall sound quality. Loud is easy. A quality, balanced sound at high volume is a bit harder to achieve, but worth it. No boomy bass-heavy sound. Just more of it, across the entire range, in balance with the rest of your system.

James 1:25 Ordered from Faulkner Chevy #NKCF02 1100 5/8/9 2000, 3300 7/16/9 TPW 7/20,GOT MY (low) VIN! 4000 7/24/9 ,Picked up 8/7/9!!! Signed Litho #45. Car signed by FBodfather 2011. Service: Jennings Chevy in PA. We don't "drift", kiddies... we POWER SLIDE! MOTM/COTM Sept 2012 Pro Patria Vigilans.
Click the pic.. I don't tolerate fools.
post #8 of 8 Old 03-18-2012, 06:19 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by patriotpa View Post
A sealed enclosure is the way to go for overall sound quality. Loud is easy. A quality, balanced sound at high volume is a bit harder to achieve, but worth it. No boomy bass-heavy sound. Just more of it, across the entire range, in balance with the rest of your system.
Amen...sound quality is so much better than SPL.

2010 CAMARO 2SS/RS, InTune, BBK Chrome Headers w/ Hi-Flo Cats, DynoMax Cat-Back, Volant CAI, Ported Throttle Body, Eibach Sway Bars, Eibach Springs, SubThump Stealth BA Replacement System, JDP Halos, RGB LED Mailslot Scanner, Carbon Stripe Kit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page