Turnsignals intio DRLs and Running Lights - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
Electronics & Audio Stereo Components | Lighting | Radars | Alarms

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 01-04-2012, 05:58 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Turnsignals intio DRLs and Running Lights

Is there a way to modify the front turn signals into DRLs?

In other words, on all the time except when blinking....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 02-05-2012, 05:30 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Got tired of waiting

Went searching on another forum and found the instructions.

These are the two plugs you are looking for. One is the headlight plug, the other the turn signal plug.

This is what the turn signal socket looks like from the back. On the RS-equipped cars, the center hole is missing the DRL wire that the non-RS cars have standard. This hole must be drilled out with a 7/32 drill bit to run an 18 gauge wire thru it.

Once the hole has been drilled out, you can pass the wire thru the hole. Draw it thru, then remove about 1/16" insulation. Pull the wire back until it is flush in the plug. Tape the three wires together to maintain the center wire in its correct position.

Take the free end of the wire, and utilizing a t-tap, connect it to the brown wire on the right side headlamp plug (green wire on the left side headlamp plug).

This is the finished product. I ran another set of lines from these lines to the DRLs, and now they are also running.

post #3 of 9 Old 02-07-2012, 05:36 AM
Veteran Member

Garage
Does that also make the turn signal a running light if you have the headlights off?

2013 LT2/RS, Crystal Red Metallic, TAZ Jr.
2016 H-D Ultra Classic, Black Fire Purple, (PPE)
2015 H-D Street Glide, Superior Blue. (Old Blue) Traded
2012 Big Horn, RAM, Crew Cab, SLT, Dark Cherry Red Pearl (Betty Boop)
1998 Honda Accord 2d, daily driver.

Last edited by Guapo; 02-07-2012 at 05:42 AM.

post #4 of 9 Old 02-11-2012, 08:03 AM Thread Starter

Garage
All the lights would be on except the headlights during the day. Halos, markers, and Turnsignals. I'll post up a photo of what it looks like during the day.

I have now gone one step further and added switchback leds, so now my turnsignals are white and turn yellow for signaling.
post #5 of 9 Old 02-11-2012, 08:08 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Here ya go

With Switchbacks installed

Last edited by jhiiidoc; 02-11-2012 at 08:14 AM.
post #6 of 9 Old 03-11-2012, 09:03 AM
Veteran Member

Garage
bump

2013 LT2/RS, Crystal Red Metallic, TAZ Jr.
2016 H-D Ultra Classic, Black Fire Purple, (PPE)
2015 H-D Street Glide, Superior Blue. (Old Blue) Traded
2012 Big Horn, RAM, Crew Cab, SLT, Dark Cherry Red Pearl (Betty Boop)
1998 Honda Accord 2d, daily driver.
post #7 of 9 Old 03-11-2012, 09:31 AM
Bully Proof

Garage
My Camaro was not RS equipped so when the performance shop wired my OEM RS headlamps...they wired my HIDS as DRLs and wired the halos to the turn signals so I've always had this set up...but without the fogs on because I have a separate control for that.

I've since taken Envy to two other performance shops (because Quantum went out of business) to have the wiring changed...and both places screwed with my car for a full day and couldn't figure out a thing. Neither place charged me for the work they did because they both said "no problem" we can do that easily. But they did give me quotes of $1000-$1500 to bring the car back and spend as long as it takes their electrical guys to figure it out. But that's ridiculously more than I paid for the install in the first place so I said no thanks. ..Envy will have to stay different.

Last edited by Envy; 03-12-2012 at 02:52 AM.
post #8 of 9 Old 03-16-2012, 01:22 AM

I see how you ran the third wire for the turn siginals. And the extra set for the DRLs, what did you do for the HALOs.

2011 2SS/RS Blk on Blk, M6, CAI intake, MGW shifter, Pfadt lowering springs, & sway bars, Borla "S" Type cat-back, ARH headers, SLP underdrive pulley, 160 termostat, Tune(Matt) Tune Time Performance, Elite Engineer catch can, & tunnel brace, DRL harness (Fieldgoal's) Tinted rear lights, & sidemarkers, Lloyd Mats, AAC LED's drl, dome, license plate, and trunk.
post #9 of 9 Old 03-16-2012, 04:23 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Halos are on the same circuit as the wire that is t-tapped. So when the DRLs are powered, they come on, and vice-versa, so everything stays on. Headlamps are on a different circuit.

2010 CAMARO 2SS/RS, InTune, BBK Chrome Headers w/ Hi-Flo Cats, DynoMax Cat-Back, Volant CAI, Ported Throttle Body, Eibach Sway Bars, Eibach Springs, SubThump Stealth BA Replacement System, JDP Halos, RGB LED Mailslot Scanner, Carbon Stripe Kit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page