OEM speaker replacement and Factory Head Unit - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
Electronics & Audio Stereo Components | Lighting | Radars | Alarms

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 01-25-2012, 12:13 PM Thread Starter

OEM speaker replacement and Factory Head Unit

I know another member asked about upgrading his speakers and keeping the factory radio. I have a similar question but was hoping the audio gurus could chime in and offer some more feedback.

I went to a two local stereo shops a few days ago looking into replacing all the speakers and adding an amp and sub.

One shop told me that it wouldn't be a problem and it would sound great. Another shop said absolutely not and that to do the job right, a new head unit should be installed because the newer head unit (a Kenwood Navi) has more outputs and would provide a much clearer/cleaner sound. The same shop advised to leave the factory rears speakers in the deck and swap out the fronts only with some high dollar components and a sub and amp.

So my question for the knowledgable audio folks is this. Can the sound system be upgraded adequately using different speakers and amp and sub-woofer without changing the head unit out?

Thanks guys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 01-25-2012, 01:19 PM

Garage
The below is my opinion:

If you get the right components and amp combination, the factory radio can and will do just fine.

I have the factory Boston Audio system option.

I have only added a sub/amp to mine so far, but I did experiment with replacing the factory amplifier (that dirty seven channel mutant of a thing). I originally replaced the Boston amp with a small 4-channel Alpine, but it really lacked depth and felt a little empty to me.

Later, just for science, I replaced the small Alpine with a monster Alpine 3566 (6 channel) amp. The 3566 sounded incredible. I hooked the 6x9 woofers in the rear to it's sub channels, and then I connected the rear highs and front speakers (not including the center channel) to the other four outputs. It sounded really, really good. I actually considered keeping the factory speakers after hearing what they could do with a quality amp pushing them.

I only went back to the factory amp because I'm having trouble deciding where to mount that massive Alpine.

As far as "doing it right" requiring the replacement of the factory radio, I just don't believe that. I believe that the factory radio has the ability to do the job just fine, but I highly recommend replacing that factory amp (if your car has the Boston option).

Hopefully, I haven't overwhelmed you

K&N Typhoon CAI * Flowmaster American Thunder cat-back exhaust * Hurst Short Throw Shifter * Black Phantom Grille * Pioneer AVH-P8400BH - Scosche Dash Kit - Rockford Fosgate 3Sixty.3 - Rockford Fosgate T1000-1bdCP, T400-4, T1D215, T1692, T2652-S - SubThump 15" Camaro box - Dynamat Extreme - Stinger & Kicker RCA's - Monster, Tsunami, Streetwires, Scosche, and Kicker wiring - Stinger Distribution blocks - Tsunami Breakers - Tsunami and Rockford Fosgate set screw terminals
post #3 of 9 Old 01-25-2012, 01:24 PM Thread Starter

Not overwhelmed at all. I appreciate your input. I feel that it can be made to work with the factory radio but I'm no audiophile so what do I know. I do have the Boston Acoustic sound system

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkrider View Post
The below is my opinion:

If you get the right components and amp combination, the factory radio can and will do just fine.

I have the factory Boston Audio system option.

I have only added a sub/amp to mine so far, but I did experiment with replacing the factory amplifier (that dirty seven channel mutant of a thing). I originally replaced the Boston amp with a small 4-channel Alpine, but it really lacked depth and felt a little empty to me.

Later, just for science, I replaced the small Alpine with a monster Alpine 3566 (6 channel) amp. The 3566 sounded incredible. I hooked the 6x9 woofers in the rear to it's sub channels, and then I connected the rear highs and front speakers (not including the center channel) to the other four outputs. It sounded really, really good. I actually considered keeping the factory speakers after hearing what they could do with a quality amp pushing them.

I only went back to the factory amp because I'm having trouble deciding where to mount that massive Alpine.

As far as "doing it right" requiring the replacement of the factory radio, I just don't believe that. I believe that the factory radio has the ability to do the job just fine, but I highly recommend replacing that factory amp (if your car has the Boston option).

Hopefully, I haven't overwhelmed you

post #4 of 9 Old 01-28-2012, 04:02 PM

Garage
Glad I could help a little.

K&N Typhoon CAI * Flowmaster American Thunder cat-back exhaust * Hurst Short Throw Shifter * Black Phantom Grille * Pioneer AVH-P8400BH - Scosche Dash Kit - Rockford Fosgate 3Sixty.3 - Rockford Fosgate T1000-1bdCP, T400-4, T1D215, T1692, T2652-S - SubThump 15" Camaro box - Dynamat Extreme - Stinger & Kicker RCA's - Monster, Tsunami, Streetwires, Scosche, and Kicker wiring - Stinger Distribution blocks - Tsunami Breakers - Tsunami and Rockford Fosgate set screw terminals
post #5 of 9 Old 01-28-2012, 05:08 PM
Premium Member

Garage
Your biggest change in the sound will come from the speakers. The factory head unit is plenty clean enough, and if you want more power you can always add an amp inline.

James 1:25 Ordered from Faulkner Chevy #NKCF02 1100 5/8/9 2000, 3300 7/16/9 TPW 7/20,GOT MY (low) VIN! 4000 7/24/9 ,Picked up 8/7/9!!! Signed Litho #45. Car signed by FBodfather 2011. Service: Jennings Chevy in PA. We don't "drift", kiddies... we POWER SLIDE! MOTM/COTM Sept 2012 Pro Patria Vigilans.
Click the pic.. I don't tolerate fools.
post #6 of 9 Old 01-28-2012, 08:13 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys. I went with the Alpine amp and Alpine Sub- Alpine 6X9's And the component Alpine Pro's up front. Sounds pretty amazing. Same radio.
post #7 of 9 Old 01-28-2012, 08:15 PM

JL Audio has a complete speaker system for the camaro that utalizes the stock head unit,that will do the job.
post #8 of 9 Old 02-03-2012, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooters View Post
I know another member asked about upgrading his speakers and keeping the factory radio. I have a similar question but was hoping the audio gurus could chime in and offer some more feedback.

I went to a two local stereo shops a few days ago looking into replacing all the speakers and adding an amp and sub.

One shop told me that it wouldn't be a problem and it would sound great. Another shop said absolutely not and that to do the job right, a new head unit should be installed because the newer head unit (a Kenwood Navi) has more outputs and would provide a much clearer/cleaner sound. The same shop advised to leave the factory rears speakers in the deck and swap out the fronts only with some high dollar components and a sub and amp.

So my question for the knowledgable audio folks is this. Can the sound system be upgraded adequately using different speakers and amp and sub-woofer without changing the head unit out?

Thanks guys.
I installed Subthumps 5.1 system, which made my system come alive with the stock speakers. I will be installing the new Kenwood 9990HD unit when they are released. I will determine at that point if I want to change out the stock speakers, but they sound good with the current setup. I agree with your shops advice, but would start with the sub and amp install and see what you think at that point. You may save yourself some money.
post #9 of 9 Old 03-11-2012, 09:09 AM
Veteran Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drill View Post
JL Audio has a complete speaker system for the camaro that utalizes the stock head unit,that will do the job.
Does the system replace all the speakers if so is there a major teardown of the rear deck to install the rear speakers. I do not have the boston system..

2013 LT2/RS, Crystal Red Metallic, TAZ Jr.
2016 H-D Ultra Classic, Black Fire Purple, (PPE)
2015 H-D Street Glide, Superior Blue. (Old Blue) Traded
2012 Big Horn, RAM, Crew Cab, SLT, Dark Cherry Red Pearl (Betty Boop)
1998 Honda Accord 2d, daily driver.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page