Speaker and Amp issue - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
Electronics & Audio Stereo Components | Lighting | Radars | Alarms

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 Old 06-19-2012, 08:19 AM Thread Starter

Speaker and Amp issue

i recently had a front component speakers put in doors hooked up to an Amp with the Factory Head unit. There is hissing sound coming from front speaker now with Stereo on or off. IT only goes away if car is off and running system off battery.
The shop i took it to said i need to replace the HU with an aftermarket stereo to fix the problem.

My question is , has anyone had a similar problem? Do i need to replace the head unit or was it just a bad install? And should i take it to another shop to have looked at? Any suggestions would be great.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 06-19-2012, 04:17 PM
Veteran Member

Garage
I would def take it to another shop! It sounds to me like they have the power/ground source for the amp running too close to/or sharing a "noisy" power/ground source that comes "live" when the key goes to the "run" position....

Chuck
2010 SIM 2SS/RS A6 SC - Born on 10/05/09
MyCamaroBuildInfo

"You Were Really Flyin' When I Passed You Back There!"
February-2013-MOTM-Winner
post #3 of 15 Old 06-19-2012, 04:39 PM
Premium Member

Garage
It sounds like they want to sell you a head unit you don't need.

James 1:25 Ordered from Faulkner Chevy #NKCF02 1100 5/8/9 2000, 3300 7/16/9 TPW 7/20,GOT MY (low) VIN! 4000 7/24/9 ,Picked up 8/7/9!!! Signed Litho #45. Car signed by FBodfather 2011. Service: Jennings Chevy in PA. We don't "drift", kiddies... we POWER SLIDE! MOTM/COTM Sept 2012 Pro Patria Vigilans.
Click the pic.. I don't tolerate fools.

post #4 of 15 Old 06-19-2012, 06:28 PM

I would agree that the power and signal wires are ran together. Anyone have any luck with the amp turn on wire when using the factory head unit without the ba stereo?
post #5 of 15 Old 06-23-2012, 12:37 AM

You would get more "noise" using the high outputs of a stereo VS RCA's that most aftermarket stereos have but shouldn't be that much. Check into ground loop isolators easy and cheap fix.

2000 Red 1SC Z28 A4 - dead for now
2005 Black GTO M6 6.0 - Split daily driver
1987 Silver Fiero GT - Split daily driver
post #6 of 15 Old 07-29-2012, 07:53 PM

Audio control lc6 is a good option because gives you a remote out that only comes on Withe audio signal......... And run your audio cables on opposite sides of the car... Power on one side signal on the other is a good rule as far as other cars are concerned camaros are alittle tricky since the battery and signal can both be caught in the trunk most noise is caused by using RCA cables that were too long for the job and just get tucked under the carpet by the battery and excessively long power cables

Custom installer 25 years in the game............ owner of Voo Doo Customs

Last edited by Poohdogger; 07-30-2012 at 11:52 AM.
post #7 of 15 Old 07-30-2012, 07:23 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpalamar View Post
i recently had a front component speakers put in doors hooked up to an Amp with the Factory Head unit. There is hissing sound coming from front speaker now with Stereo on or off. IT only goes away if car is off and running system off battery.
The shop i took it to said i need to replace the HU with an aftermarket stereo to fix the problem.

My question is , has anyone had a similar problem? Do i need to replace the head unit or was it just a bad install? And should i take it to another shop to have looked at? Any suggestions would be great.
This is a bad install, but a hiss that happens whether the radio is on or off is not because of running the RCA's with the power wire. Sounds like they wired your amp turn on to a source that stays on whenever the ignition is on. That is not correct. This is why I frown upon wiring the remote to the cigarette lighter.

Also, you don't need a new head unit. You just need your amp remote turn-on wired to the proper wire.

K&N Typhoon CAI * Flowmaster American Thunder cat-back exhaust * Hurst Short Throw Shifter * Black Phantom Grille * Pioneer AVH-P8400BH - Scosche Dash Kit - Rockford Fosgate 3Sixty.3 - Rockford Fosgate T1000-1bdCP, T400-4, T1D215, T1692, T2652-S - SubThump 15" Camaro box - Dynamat Extreme - Stinger & Kicker RCA's - Monster, Tsunami, Streetwires, Scosche, and Kicker wiring - Stinger Distribution blocks - Tsunami Breakers - Tsunami and Rockford Fosgate set screw terminals
post #8 of 15 Old 01-26-2013, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkrider View Post
This is a bad install, but a hiss that happens whether the radio is on or off is not because of running the RCA's with the power wire. Sounds like they wired your amp turn on to a source that stays on whenever the ignition is on. That is not correct. This is why I frown upon wiring the remote to the cigarette lighter.

Also, you don't need a new head unit. You just need your amp remote turn-on wired to the proper wire.
Not judging your audio knowledge, but how do you run rca's with the power wire in a car that has the battery in the trunk?

Custom installer 25 years in the game............ owner of Voo Doo Customs
post #9 of 15 Old 01-26-2013, 09:21 AM
Premium Member

Garage
Also, a good, CLEAN amp should not hiss. It should generate NO sound of it's own, unless you have the volume WAY up with no music playing, then you'll hear a bit of amplifier hiss, but not much with an amp that's got a good, solid design. My 2KW bridged amp at home is extremely quiet unless it's wide open, which I've almost never done.

James 1:25 Ordered from Faulkner Chevy #NKCF02 1100 5/8/9 2000, 3300 7/16/9 TPW 7/20,GOT MY (low) VIN! 4000 7/24/9 ,Picked up 8/7/9!!! Signed Litho #45. Car signed by FBodfather 2011. Service: Jennings Chevy in PA. We don't "drift", kiddies... we POWER SLIDE! MOTM/COTM Sept 2012 Pro Patria Vigilans.
Click the pic.. I don't tolerate fools.
post #10 of 15 Old 01-27-2013, 08:45 AM

Another good thing to remember is that for the best signal to noise ratio, you need to have the amp's inputs as low as possible. With the amp's inputs turned up to 1/2 way or more, you also amplify the noise too. That's why a head unit with 4 volt or better outputs sounds better. It helps you to turn down the amp's inputs by driving the amp with more voltage fron the source. This is what gets a better dynamic range and more transparent sound. The higher the source's voltage, the farther away you are from hearing the hiss or noise. Always look at an amp's S/N ratio when really clean sound is desired.
When designing our competition systems we used studio equipment with 24 volt outputs to reject even more noise. Of course that was back in the early 90's!! I took a whole weekend class from Dave Navone and Rich Clark on troubleshooting noise. (They were world leaders in car audio at the time)
I can help more if you can tell me more about which amp and which method it is hooked up to the factory head.
Randy

2010 Rally Yellow 2SS M6 with Black rally stripes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page