audio questions?????? - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
Electronics & Audio Stereo Components | Lighting | Radars | Alarms

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 Old 07-29-2012, 07:41 PM Thread Starter

Smile audio questions??????

Ask me its what I do ........I can answer pretty much any question you may have im also m.e.c.p master certified...

Custom installer 25 years in the game............ owner of Voo Doo Customs

Last edited by Poohdogger; 07-29-2012 at 07:43 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 07-30-2012, 07:26 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poohdogger View Post
Ask me its what I do ........I can answer pretty much any question you may have im also m.e.c.p master certified...
I have a question for you - where are you from?

Also, welcome from a fellow autosound enthusiast.

K&N Typhoon CAI * Flowmaster American Thunder cat-back exhaust * Hurst Short Throw Shifter * Black Phantom Grille * Pioneer AVH-P8400BH - Scosche Dash Kit - Rockford Fosgate 3Sixty.3 - Rockford Fosgate T1000-1bdCP, T400-4, T1D215, T1692, T2652-S - SubThump 15" Camaro box - Dynamat Extreme - Stinger & Kicker RCA's - Monster, Tsunami, Streetwires, Scosche, and Kicker wiring - Stinger Distribution blocks - Tsunami Breakers - Tsunami and Rockford Fosgate set screw terminals
post #3 of 23 Old 07-30-2012, 11:48 AM Thread Starter

Ft.worth,Texas and thank you for the welcome.....

post #4 of 23 Old 07-30-2012, 02:33 PM

I just got a 2012 1LT the other week and I have a JL sub that I would like to add to the system. However I do not have the Boston system in my car and it looks like there is no stock amp. How would you suggest adding to the current system.(There is not an RCA hook up on the stock head unit for an amp)
post #5 of 23 Old 07-30-2012, 10:12 PM Thread Starter

There are a few ways to do so. The cheap way in which you do the work yourself and go shopping for parts. First you will need the appropriate amp kit that includes all of the cables you will need main power,ground,remote turn on,speaker wire and RCA's also called signal cables as for signal you will need an way to interface thats where an l.o.c or line out convert comes in on this deal you can get signal from the rear deck speakers as for remote turn on you can go to either power port the drawback to getting power from these Ports is that they turn on when the key is on and if you were to turn the radio off there could be a hiss or thump when being turned off or on . There are companoes that have made interfaces that can help out with these two issues Audio Control this company has been building processors for practically every situation check them out look at the lc2 lc 6,7,8

post #6 of 23 Old 08-13-2012, 09:50 PM

Which aftermarket head unit would you recommend specifically for the 5th G. and which dash kit do you like the best?

At what point does the charging system and battery need to be beefed up to power amps?

Are there any really good books which would help make decisions and make it possible for DIY? I saw only one which was the "for idiots" and unless I could browse thru it, I would not buy.
post #7 of 23 Old 08-15-2012, 03:46 PM Thread Starter

I would stay away from Kenwood a JVC. Reason being is that kenwood was bought out by jvc in April and quality has gone down the tubes especially on kenwoods side. I like pioneer and alpine head units as for install kits for our cars Metra is the one I would use... As for power upgrades the first would be an optima battery the first reason would be weight savings..second would be reliability...third would be because it has half the resistance of a lead acid battery....as far as books go the internet is your Oyster

Last edited by Poohdogger; 08-16-2012 at 02:42 PM.
post #8 of 23 Old 08-16-2012, 01:30 PM

I am currently using rca converters from the pre-amplified lines to jl audio amps. I have jl subs and amps. I like high quality sound. The sound quality using the factory head unit is decent but seems a bit off. Is there much quality increase moving to an aftermarket head unit like an Alpine, or is it not worth the extra time and money for only a marginal gain. Im not sure if the acoustics of the car make it mid-rangy or its the source signal. I had the same equipment in another car and it was a very high quality sound. Thanks
post #9 of 23 Old 08-16-2012, 02:40 PM Thread Starter

The quality of sound depends on the quality of the source that it comes from most of the time ill tell my customers the same..... But if you want to keep a factory look I would look into Audio Control products ive used them for years

post #10 of 23 Old 08-18-2012, 09:31 PM

Aight Poohdogger, here goes....I recently had a sub installed in my 2LT with the Boston Acoustics system. The shop simply installed my stuff, using a LOC that is connected to one of the rear speakers. I have a JL 500/1 pushing a JL W6 10 sub. I ebayed a custom box. The box is ported and faces the rear. When I picked it up from the installer, the guy said I hope you like it loud. You couldn't hear anything but bass! I turned the bass all the way down on the head unit, and all the way down on the amp. I have one of the JL Remote bass control knobs. The only thing I bought was the box. I already had everything else and didn't want to sink a ton of money. I just wanted a little more punch to the setup. I really like the quality of the JL stuff I own(I have a stealth box in my Tundra). I just want to lessen the bass the system puts out. I guess I have reached the age where there is such a thing as too loud. I was wondering if the Subthump harness would give me more control? Could you please help?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page