Aftermarket Audio/Video without losing HUD, On*, Bluetooth, Steering Wheel Controls - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
Electronics & Audio Stereo Components | Lighting | Radars | Alarms

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 Old 12-04-2012, 12:31 PM Thread Starter

Aftermarket Audio/Video without losing HUD, On*, Bluetooth, Steering Wheel Controls

I want to change out the head unit for a DVD/Nav (either by Alpine or JVC) I see there are aftermarket mounting kits that will offer a DDIN set-up and replace the HVAC controls - but my questions are:

1. Can I retain the functionality of the HUD? It serves as a caller ID, as well as for song titles, temperature and GPS directions from Onstar. I wouldn't be heart broken to lose the on-star directions because it will be a DVD-Nav unit I'm replacing it with, but I would be slightly hesitant to replace the factory radio if I would lose song titles, what input, phone # caller ID, etc and they would not show up on the HUD. Honestly call me spoiled if you want but I love the HUD so much I might not ever buy another car without it.
2. Can I use the factory location for a new blue-tooth mic? From what I can tell each mic is specific to brand of radio, so if it has to be swapped out - can I use the same location near the sun-roof/garage door openers?
3. I the center console there is a USB input and a audio-in jack which is the perfect place to stash my android phone or my ipod and it's directly linked to the radio. I wouldn't care if they had to be in the glove box, but the factory location is a pretty stellar location for the USB port. Can that be re-used to be an input for an aftermarket radio?
4. Steering wheel buttons - I don't want to lose the source button, mute, answer/hang up, song advance or volume controls on the wheel, and I want them to retain their fuctionality, can it be done?
5. Will this effect the shark fin antenna? Can I still use that antenna for satellite radio, AM/FM?
6. The back-up sonar sensors - will they still work? They seem to be wired through the rear speakers right now.
7. If I replace this radio does onstar go with it?

These are the things that are making me nervous about replacing the radio - but even with the Boston Acoustic package it's just not loud enough for my liking - I'd like to change out the head unit, give it a nice clean stock look with an aftermarket head unit - retain all the functionality of the stock system and add amps and a sub to complete the project - any information that can be provided would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
-Andy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 12-31-2012, 12:36 PM

Hey there,

I have looked into this extensively, and have also done a couple stereo swaps on the 5th Gens.

From what I've been able to find, and to the best of my knowledge, I'll offer my answers to your questions:

1.) I felt EXACTLy the same way about my HUD. I didn't wanna lose all the song and caller information that the factory HU provides through the HUD. However, a good aftermarket HU will provide all that information for you on the screen of the HU. All the other features from your HUD that are not associated with the factory HU will still work (i.e. temp, MPH, tach, turn indicators, high beams, compass, etc.). I disconnected the OnStar as soon as the original factory trial was over. I don't need turn-by-turn or any of the other stuff. OnStar also tracks vehicle data like speed and location - so I prefer to not have my car broadcast how fast and where I am all the time.

2.) Yes, you can use the factory location - in fact, that is exactly what I did. I removed the factory mic in the overhead console, and installed the mic from the aftermarket HU I got.

3.) Yes, you can retain the factory USB port location - but not the wiring as far as I know. The reason I've found for this is because the wiring from the USB port splits inside of the loom. There are two power wires and they split off and go towards the drivers side of the dash. The remaining wires split off and go towards the factory HU's wiring harness. What I did that was much easier than chasing down each individual wire was to remove the factory USB port, and install my own USB female port in the same location, run it up to the new aftermarket HU, and plug it in to the back. This way, you don't cut/splice any wires, and retain the USB port location. As far as I know, there aren't any interfaces on the market that retain the full functionality of the factory USB port for use with an aftermarket HU.

4.) All your steering wheel buttons can still be retained, provided your aftermarket HU supports an input for SWC. The Metra Dash kit has the interface needed for this, and my aftermarket HU has the input in the back for it.

5.) You'll need two adapters for the antennas. For AM/FM, you'll need a GM Metric adapter for aftermarket stereos like this... Metra 40-GM10 GM Mini Jack To Motorola Car Antenna Adapter 265-580

For XM sat radio, you'll need an XM tuner like
Amazon.com: SiriusXM SXV200v1 Connect Vehicle Tuner for SiriusXM-Ready Car Stereo Receivers: Electronics Amazon.com: SiriusXM SXV200v1 Connect Vehicle Tuner for SiriusXM-Ready Car Stereo Receivers: Electronics
You will need to remove the square plug end on the factory antenna lead in your car, and then the antenna plug will fit directly into the XM tuner module. You may need to use some tape around it to secure it so it won't work it's way loose.

6.) The backup sensors can work - but this will take some doing on your part. What I did was splice into the factory stereo harness, and run a pair of wires up to the (no longer in use) factory center speaker. I can help you with step-by-step on this if you have the desire to do this, but I will tell you, it ain't easy if you aren't used to doing some wiring. I am, and I'm also totally anal retentive to doing things with insane levels of attention to detail, so it was something that I wanted to tackle and accomplish.

7.) OnStar will still work as normal, as long as you make sure you hook up the mute wire to the aftermarket HU from the Metra Dash Kit (or whatever adapter kit you choose to use).

If you need any help or detailed pictures of what I did to my car, check out these pics... Stereo Install | Facebook

Hope all that helps.

BLESSINGS!
Sam
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page