Audio system upgrade without replacing head unit? - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
Electronics & Audio Stereo Components | Lighting | Radars | Alarms

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 01-03-2013, 04:04 PM Thread Starter

Question Audio system upgrade without replacing head unit?

Hey y'all. So I got new speakers for Christmas but when I installed them they have even less bass than the factory ones! I checked the polarity and all is well; clarity is great but I want more thump.

My boyfriend offered me his amp and sub. I plan on installing them but I do not want to change the head unit. I hate the way aftermarket ones look and do not have the crazy money to spend on that. Will adding a sub and amp still give me what I want? I don't want anything crazy; just a little more oomph. Please advise. Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 01-03-2013, 04:23 PM
Premium Member

Garage
Swap back in the factory speakers and add the sub and amp in the trunk. It's already wired for an amp and sub.

James 1:25 Ordered from Faulkner Chevy #NKCF02 1100 5/8/9 2000, 3300 7/16/9 TPW 7/20,GOT MY (low) VIN! 4000 7/24/9 ,Picked up 8/7/9!!! Signed Litho #45. Car signed by FBodfather 2011. Service: Jennings Chevy in PA. We don't "drift", kiddies... we POWER SLIDE! MOTM/COTM Sept 2012 Pro Patria Vigilans.
Click the pic.. I don't tolerate fools.
post #3 of 9 Old 01-03-2013, 04:28 PM Thread Starter

But if I do that I'm out the speaker money... I used a gift card for them and I've already installed the front ones so I can't really return them...

post #4 of 9 Old 01-03-2013, 04:46 PM
Premium Member

Garage
If it sounds better with the factory speakers, chalk it up to a lesson learned, then put them on Ebay.

Listen to the speakers. Adjust the tone controls to get it as close as you can to what you want, without the bass. Are the highs nice and clear, or are they fuzzy and indistinct?
Is the midrange (vocals, guitar) solid and full-sounding?

If you can answer positively to both questions, then install the sub to fill in the bass.
If not, put the factory speakers back in, then install the sub.

James 1:25 Ordered from Faulkner Chevy #NKCF02 1100 5/8/9 2000, 3300 7/16/9 TPW 7/20,GOT MY (low) VIN! 4000 7/24/9 ,Picked up 8/7/9!!! Signed Litho #45. Car signed by FBodfather 2011. Service: Jennings Chevy in PA. We don't "drift", kiddies... we POWER SLIDE! MOTM/COTM Sept 2012 Pro Patria Vigilans.
post #5 of 9 Old 01-03-2013, 04:49 PM Thread Starter

Oh the clarity on them is amazing! The highs and kids sound fantastic
post #6 of 9 Old 01-03-2013, 05:38 PM
Premium Member

Garage
...then add the sub and see how it goes, just beware of resonance. You want a solid thump! on a bass drum, not a BZZZZZZZZZZZ of sheet metal vibrating.

Loud, resonating lows are easy, and not what you want. Good, quality, balanced sound is a bit harder, but worth the trouble. A sealed subwoofer enclosure is the best way to go.

post #7 of 9 Old 01-03-2013, 08:41 PM Thread Starter

It's in a sealed box so hopefully I'm good there. I had hoped to install myself and save money but I've only done speakers and head units, never amp and sub. Where's the wiring? Is it there on a 1LT?
post #8 of 9 Old 01-03-2013, 09:51 PM

Bring it up to NJ, I'll help you with that!!!

Order #: VBBDZ1
2017 Camaro ZL1
Hyper Blue Metallic A10, PDR, NAV, Premium floor mats

Ordered: 12/26/16
March 2014 Member/Car Of the Month
post #9 of 9 Old 01-04-2013, 06:59 AM
Veteran Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BowtieBelle View Post
It's in a sealed box so hopefully I'm good there. I had hoped to install myself and save money but I've only done speakers and head units, never amp and sub. Where's the wiring? Is it there on a 1LT?
Don't think there will be any wiring in the trunk to accommodate an amp on a 1LT. You have a non-BA system, yes?

The best way to do it is with Steve's stuff. Get a harness for your car here:

Camaro Coupe 2010 & Up -

Then you will have all the connections you need for signal & turn on for the amp. From there you just connect the sub to the amp.

Chuck
2010 SIM 2SS/RS A6 SC - Born on 10/05/09
MyCamaroBuildInfo

"You Were Really Flyin' When I Passed You Back There!"
February-2013-MOTM-Winner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page