electric seat heaters - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
Electronics & Audio Stereo Components | Lighting | Radars | Alarms

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 01-23-2013, 12:55 AM Thread Starter

Lightbulb electric seat heaters

Just out of warrenty my drives seat heater died. For most people this would not happen, however with my bad back I use the heated seat year round and when it was working it did a better job than the pain pill the DR gives me. I did contact GM and they were surprised that the heated failed early. GM did try to help, but being I never have ever taken the car to the dealer for anything that there was nothing they could do. The reason that I will never take my car to the local dealer is that they have a very poor rep around town. I did talk to the GMC dealer next door which has a highly rated service department and one of the mechanics told me it takes about an hour to change the heating elements. So later this week I will order the heating elements and a new seat cushion being the seat will be apart. As a backup the mechanic I talked to is a longtime friend of my brother, so if problems arise one phone call should solve the problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 01-23-2013, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by c192ps View Post
Just out of warrenty my drives seat heater died. For most people this would not happen, however with my bad back I use the heated seat year round and when it was working it did a better job than the pain pill the DR gives me. I did contact GM and they were surprised that the heated failed early. GM did try to help, but being I never have ever taken the car to the dealer for anything that there was nothing they could do. The reason that I will never take my car to the local dealer is that they have a very poor rep around town. I did talk to the GMC dealer next door which has a highly rated service department and one of the mechanics told me it takes about an hour to change the heating elements. So later this week I will order the heating elements and a new seat cushion being the seat will be apart. As a backup the mechanic I talked to is a longtime friend of my brother, so if problems arise one phone call should solve the problem.

c192ps,

I am sorry to hear that your heated seats are no longer working for you. Feel free to contact me with any concerns or questions you may have.

Ashley
Chevrolet Customer Assistance

Available 8:00 AM - 12:00 AM EST
post #3 of 5 Old 01-23-2013, 09:43 AM

I see by your profile that you have an SS with DRL/fogs.

Check to see if the DRL/Fogs are working. If not that is the root cause to why the seat heater won't work.

Just went through this myself .

post #4 of 5 Old 01-27-2013, 07:46 PM

You need someone either at a dealer, or a mechanic with a scan tool capable of looking at the inputs and outputs of the BCM. My seat heater sometimes will turn on but won't go off. Or won't turn on at all. This affects both seats when it malfunctions. I have traced it to be a software glitch in the BCM (body control module). The reason I suspect this is that the scan tool shows the inputs from both switches working properly, and I can acutate the outputs to turn on the seats via the scantool. Usually happens while driving. If I pull over and shut the key off for a few minutes then turn the ignition back on, all is fine. It hasn't happened in a while, and now the car is sleeping so I can't verify if it still happens. I would like to know how you make out with the repair. Also, the heater elements can be checked with an ohm meter to see if they have continuity. Furthermore, there are many other things to consider before just replacing the heater part. Like bad relays, etc...
Randy

2010 Rally Yellow 2SS M6 with Black rally stripes
post #5 of 5 Old 01-27-2013, 08:12 PM

The DTC for a failed seat heaters are as follows:
Driver Heated seat element control-
open or high resistance - B2425 0D

resistance between terminal 1 and 2 should measure between .5 - 5.0 ohms
check once with seat un occupied and again with someone sitting on cushion.

My guess is that it is the k29 control module if both the back and bottom heaters are not functioning.
There is alot to this system. You should not just throw parts at it to fix it.
The heaters used in these seats are the same for alot of other gm products around the globe. It's probably not the heater elements.
Also check for any objects that may have gotten under the seat near the wiring and damaged it.
Randy

Edit: the heaters are in series. So if the cushion is bad, the back won't work and vice versa.

2010 Rally Yellow 2SS M6 with Black rally stripes

Last edited by Yellow 2SS; 01-27-2013 at 08:14 PM. Reason: new info
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page