Modern Camaro Forums banner

Adding the gps to a 2013 ss

10K views 15 replies 8 participants last post by  SSmoked_U 
#1 ·
I didnt wanna pay the extra money to get the gps from the dealer.Does anyone know if it can be added after the fact. Thanks in advance for any info given

#2 ·
Garmin :) Anything has to be better than the OnStar navigation. Sorry, I can't answer with a true suggestion, but the has to be something out there.

#4 ·
dreck,

Just picked my new Camaro up this past weekend and noticed the same thing.
If I read the instruction manual correctly you have to contact On-Star and get a subscription set-up. The manual doesn't have a section describing it's actual function as far as I can tell.

I intend to do the same thing myself later on in the year to set mine up. If anyone know more about it please chime in for us both.

Mail Clerk

#6 ·
definitely do not rely on OnStar a Garmin is infinitely better and cheaper

#5 ·
Dreck, I have the 2LT without the navigation system. I bought a Garmin GPS and went to ProClips for their excellent mounting system. It works great and doesn't block the Mylink for all the other stuff that I use. It is a lot less expensive and it is easily updated using your computer.

#7 ·
the onstar works good enough, I never got lost with it, it's not perfect and not as good as a garmin, ofcourse $18 a month for onstar,,, here's my set-up, this gps can play mp3's too so I use it for that..yeah, it's kind of a pain to read but it play the audio though the speakers so you really don't have to look at it while driving.

#11 ·
To the best of my knowledge the two system are not connected. But since my XM is still working I'm not sure. To the best of my knowledge my NAV should work when the ON star and XM expire. Since I dont like either of them..but we will see since they should both expire on 11 July 13.

#12 ·
Guapo,

Your right buddy;) On-Star and SiriusXM are considered separate units and so my previous mentioning of On-Star wasn't suppose to be.

In my investigation SiriusXM is providing the info by signal for the NAV system which includes getting items like weather, gas stations, movies, traffic etc.

It's just for some reason my My-link radio isn't getting a GPS signal to sink all this together. When the complimentary service expires I intend to get a yearly subscription to keep it going BUT first I can't take advantage unless it works properly.

If I can't get it going then I'm heading to my local GM dealership to have it looked at. After all it's under warranty. It's just a wish it would work NOW so I can have piece of mind:thumbsup:

Mail Clerk

#13 ·
My dealer had it all setup and ready when I picked up my 13.

#14 ·
Guapo,

Just got off the phone with On-Star and SiriusXM radio aout gettin the signal refreshed again. To no avail it still doesn't work!!! If my plans work out I'll just have to take it in to my local GM dealership and have it corrected along with mounting the front license plate braket. I guess thisis what happens when I go through a service offered from my credit union.:eek: My bad:(

Thank you all for your help but in the meantime I can't do anything about it.

Mail Clerk

#15 ·
Mailclerk, please check your list of options for your 2LT. If there isn't one listed for Navigation System option for $795, then you do not have it. I think this is your problem. I don't think you have the Nav System add on. Check it to be sure on the car's window sticker. My guess is it is not on there. This will save you some headaches and maybe some unnecessary hassle. :thumbsup:

#16 ·
I don't see an update on this thread so I assume Mailclerk has figured out this issue. However I do agree with CyCam1 that he does not have the Nav option. They use the same head unit. I don't have that option either but I do have the button. It is not controlled thru XM. It is a stand alone system. Onstar nav is totally different as well. I do like that if I use the Onstar service it shows up on my MyLink screen. Not as a map but at least as arrows lol. I too was wondering if adding it later was possible. Hate to hear it isn't.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.