Adding the gps to a 2013 ss - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
Electronics & Audio Stereo Components | Lighting | Radars | Alarms

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 Old 04-22-2013, 05:59 AM Thread Starter

Smile Adding the gps to a 2013 ss

I didnt wanna pay the extra money to get the gps from the dealer.Does anyone know if it can be added after the fact. Thanks in advance for any info given
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 04-22-2013, 05:54 PM
Veteran Member

Garmin Anything has to be better than the OnStar navigation. Sorry, I can't answer with a true suggestion, but the has to be something out there.

2012 2SS / RS CRT; Additional Options: Highwing Spoiler, Sunroof, Window Tint, Splash Guards, Wheels, Nitro, Heritage Grill, MRT Louvers, Ported Throttle Body, Cold Air Inductions CAI, RX Sport Hood, someone's splitter, River City Strut Bar
Born On: 13 April 2012; Purchased: 27 August 2012
post #3 of 16 Old 04-27-2013, 12:21 AM Thread Starter

Yeah i used to install all this stuff for a living. I don't even really need it i just wanted to know if it was at all possible

post #4 of 16 Old 07-01-2013, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreck View Post
I didnt wanna pay the extra money to get the gps from the dealer.Does anyone know if it can be added after the fact. Thanks in advance for any info given
dreck,

Just picked my new Camaro up this past weekend and noticed the same thing.
If I read the instruction manual correctly you have to contact On-Star and get a subscription set-up. The manual doesn't have a section describing it's actual function as far as I can tell.

I intend to do the same thing myself later on in the year to set mine up. If anyone know more about it please chime in for us both.

Mail Clerk
post #5 of 16 Old 07-01-2013, 12:40 PM
Veteran Member

Dreck, I have the 2LT without the navigation system. I bought a Garmin GPS and went to ProClips for their excellent mounting system. It works great and doesn't block the Mylink for all the other stuff that I use. It is a lot less expensive and it is easily updated using your computer.

Silver Ice Metallic 2013 Camaro 2LT
Born 7/29/2012 Delivered 4/24/2013
CyCam1
post #6 of 16 Old 07-02-2013, 03:29 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailclerk View Post
dreck,

If I read the instruction manual correctly you have to contact On-Star and get a subscription set-up. The manual doesn't have a section describing it's actual function as far as I can tell.

I intend to do the same thing myself later on in the year to set mine up. If anyone know more about it please chime in for us both.

Mail Clerk
definitely do not rely on OnStar a Garmin is infinitely better and cheaper

2012 2SS / RS CRT; Additional Options: Highwing Spoiler, Sunroof, Window Tint, Splash Guards, Wheels, Nitro, Heritage Grill, MRT Louvers, Ported Throttle Body, Cold Air Inductions CAI, RX Sport Hood, someone's splitter, River City Strut Bar
Born On: 13 April 2012; Purchased: 27 August 2012
post #7 of 16 Old 07-02-2013, 06:50 PM

the onstar works good enough, I never got lost with it, it's not perfect and not as good as a garmin, ofcourse $18 a month for onstar,,, here's my set-up, this gps can play mp3's too so I use it for that..yeah, it's kind of a pain to read but it play the audio though the speakers so you really don't have to look at it while driving.

post #8 of 16 Old 07-02-2013, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreck View Post
Dreck...if I understand you correctly, you purchased your 2013 with out the navigation option. From what I read from another camaro site, it is not possible to add this after the fact.

Can base MyLink be upgraded to NAV version? - Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

2012 1LT/RS AGM convertible M6

post #9 of 16 Old 07-03-2013, 05:30 AM
Veteran Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mailclerk View Post
dreck,

Mail Clerk
Mail Clerk, did yours come with the NAV in the My link, it was a 795 option, if you did then there will be a button on the upper right side of the screen that says NAV, I will take a pict tonight if you want and post.

2013 LT2/RS, Crystal Red Metallic, TAZ Jr.
2016 H-D Ultra Classic, Black Fire Purple, (PPE)
2015 H-D Street Glide, Superior Blue. (Old Blue) Traded
2012 Big Horn, RAM, Crew Cab, SLT, Dark Cherry Red Pearl (Betty Boop)
1998 Honda Accord 2d, daily driver.
post #10 of 16 Old 07-04-2013, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guapo View Post
Mail Clerk, did yours come with the NAV in the My link, it was a 795 option, if you did then there will be a button on the upper right side of the screen that says NAV, I will take a pict tonight if you want and post.
Guapo,

Yes my My-link did come with NAV as I've tried the button you described. The odd thing is that I contacted Sirius XM and they said my system is active. I can get XM radio /music signals? Why the NAV system isn't getting a GPS signal I couldn't say. I asked XM to refresh my signal twice and turning to channel 1 hasn't gotten me anywhere.

I wonder If I need to imput anything for it to be reconized Perhaps a name, address or something I'm pretty sure now that the issue is with in the radip unit itself.

Does anyone have any idea of what's going on? I think I have only a omplimentary two month trial on this and want to at least observe how good it is.

Mail Clerk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page