Upgrading my head unit... - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
Electronics & Audio Stereo Components | Lighting | Radars | Alarms

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 03-20-2014, 09:16 AM Thread Starter
Veteran Member
 
Chapel's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1,690
 
Upgrading my head unit...

Now that my income tax refund is coming in, I am considering upgrading my Camaro's audio system...at least the head unit. It is just too plain and boring to look at compared to whats out there. I originally wanted to upgrade to the MyLink system. But that's gonna cost about $2,000. So I went to the local audio shop and they put my on to the Alpine ive-W530 head unit. Cost is $450. The Alpine unit with navigation is an extra $400. And to install it I need a Metra install kit and the harness for it to work with my steering controls as well as to retain OnStar and XM. That kit costs an additional $530. While there I looked at a back-up camera which is $200 with install as well as a remote start which is $400 installed...it is much more expensive on manual trans equipped vehicles. So all in all I'm looking at over $1600. If I get the kit with nav then its over $2,000. I'd say that is a pretty decent price for everything. All my functions (steering controls, OnStar, XM) will continue working and it'll have a nice factory finish to it.

But now I'm looking at the Scosche install kit which is touchscreen, a bit cheaper, and does not require me to purchase an extra kit for the steering, OnSTar, and XM controls. I would just need a harness that costs like $35 to use OnStar. All factored in, the Scosche kit looks nicer and even with the extra harness it still saves me about $300. Here are some links to what I'm getting. As always, your input is greatly appreciated!!

Scosche install kit:
http://mediacdn.shopatron.com/media/...jpg?1378870987

Metra install kit:
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/attach...8&d=1310313593

Alpine ive-W530:
http://www.mycarforum.com/uploads/sg...W530ebtM_1.jpg

Today I'm gonna go back to the shop and see what other options there are available for a head unit.

2017 Camaro ZL-1 A10

2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee Hemi 5.7 - Tuned!!

Proud to be the March 2013 Member Of The Month!
Chapel is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 10 Old 03-20-2014, 09:39 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 101
 
How do you control heated seats on the Scosche? I don't see any buttons. To me the Scosche kit looks like it is inset more and easier to see the 4 pack gauges if you have them. Both seem nice, but I'd save the $300 with the Scosche. Have the MyLink systems even been successfully installed on the older models (2012 and back)?
StreetSS is offline  
post #3 of 10 Old 03-20-2014, 09:55 AM Thread Starter
Veteran Member
 
Chapel's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1,690
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetSS View Post
How do you control heated seats on the Scosche? I don't see any buttons. To me the Scosche kit looks like it is inset more and easier to see the 4 pack gauges if you have them. Both seem nice, but I'd save the $300 with the Scosche. Have the MyLink systems even been successfully installed on the older models (2012 and back)?
The Scosche has the control for the heated seats on the touch screen. To get MyLink on a non-equipped car you need the head unit, a harness for it, and I think a dealer would have to upgrade or install the computer that runs MyLink. I'm not sure if anyone has done the upgrade. It isn't cost efficient compared to an aftermarket set-up. I saw members on the other site talking about it on a couple different threads but I don't know if anyone has actually done it.

2017 Camaro ZL-1 A10

2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee Hemi 5.7 - Tuned!!

Proud to be the March 2013 Member Of The Month!
Chapel is offline  
 
post #4 of 10 Old 03-20-2014, 10:51 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 101
 
Thanks. I'd like to add this setup as well but I am not sure I want to spend the cash right now. I've heard good and bad about each unit, but I think the common element with the bad experiences may be an improper install. If it turns out great for you, it may tempt me to upgrade. I am thinking it will be less $ for me since I have the backup camera in the mirror and don't plan on adding a remote start. If I do buy the install kit and end up having issues, I will give the vendor the every opportunity to resolve. My comment on the other forum was geared directly to a service I received from a C5 vendor where it was best to just move on with my life. As it turns out, that was a good decision. See last part of sig below.

Last edited by StreetSS; 03-20-2014 at 01:33 PM.
StreetSS is offline  
post #5 of 10 Old 03-20-2014, 12:00 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member
 
Chapel's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1,690
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetSS View Post
Thanks. I'd like to add this setup as well but I am not sure I want to spend the cash right now. I've heard good and bad about each unit, but I think the common element with the bad experiences may be an improper install. If it turns out great for you, it may tempt me to upgrade. I am thinking it will be less $ for me since I have the backup camera in the mirror and don't plan on adding a remote start. If I do buy the install kit and end up having issues, I will give the vendor the every opportunity to resolve. My comment on the other forum was geared directly to a service I received from a C5 vendor where it was best to just move on with my life. As it turns out, that was a good decision. See last pat of sig below.
Haha, aww man, I was hoping you wouldn't bring that up lol!! But in retrospect, I was being a little bit of a prick. However, at the time I made that reply to you over on C5, I did not realize you were the same "StreetSS" from here...otherwise I would not have came at you like that. So, I apologize for that.

And yea you are totally correct about the install. It seems that most of the issues are installation related. I could only find reviews from 2012 and I believe the Scosche system has been updated since then. I am going to the audio shop today to ask them what their opinion is and to find out some pricing. I am pretty sure I'm gonna go with Scosche provided I get good feedback. I'll post back in an hour or so...

2017 Camaro ZL-1 A10

2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee Hemi 5.7 - Tuned!!

Proud to be the March 2013 Member Of The Month!
Chapel is offline  
post #6 of 10 Old 03-20-2014, 01:33 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 101
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapel View Post
Haha, aww man, I was hoping you wouldn't bring that up lol!! But in retrospect, I was being a little bit of a prick. However, at the time I made that reply to you over on C5, I did not realize you were the same "StreetSS" from here...otherwise I would not have came at you like that. So, I apologize for that.

And yea you are totally correct about the install. It seems that most of the issues are installation related. I could only find reviews from 2012 and I believe the Scosche system has been updated since then. I am going to the audio shop today to ask them what their opinion is and to find out some pricing. I am pretty sure I'm gonna go with Scosche provided I get good feedback. I'll post back in an hour or so...
Not a big deal at all.
StreetSS is offline  
post #7 of 10 Old 03-20-2014, 03:43 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member
 
Chapel's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1,690
 
I can't find the Scosche kit anywhere. They're out of stock all over the country. One company says they'll have some by next Friday...but you know how that always goes..."next Friday" will turn into middle of the Fall.

2017 Camaro ZL-1 A10

2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee Hemi 5.7 - Tuned!!

Proud to be the March 2013 Member Of The Month!
Chapel is offline  
post #8 of 10 Old 03-20-2014, 07:28 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 101
 
sucks. did you try double d mods?
StreetSS is offline  
post #9 of 10 Old 03-21-2014, 01:22 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member
 
Chapel's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1,690
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetSS View Post
sucks. did you try double d mods?
I took a look (thanks for the heads up) but it looks like they're charging about $40 more than most other places. I'll keep looking.

2017 Camaro ZL-1 A10

2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee Hemi 5.7 - Tuned!!

Proud to be the March 2013 Member Of The Month!
Chapel is offline  
post #10 of 10 Old 04-18-2014, 09:49 AM
Member
 
CyberPunk223's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 275
 
IMHO putting money into a car stereo is the best mod you can do, while your doing all that don't forget to upgrade the most important part of the system, the speakers. it would be nice to have a touch screen & gps, and the alpine will put out more power & better sound too,,

but I went the cheap way, just an amp & 4 speakers, sounds great but now you have me thinking, maybe it's worth it to upgrade the HU.

2012 1LS Silver Ice - Mods - SS Strut Brace, RX Catch Can, BBK CAI, TRS Bi-Xenon HID's, Blackout Grill, RX65 Radar Detector, 700watt 4 Channel Amp with Kicker Speakers, 4Pack Gauges Added, 30% tint. Baer Drilled Rotors & pads, 20" American Racing. Awesome car.
CyberPunk223 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome