What to do for winter storage - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
General Technical Discussion General 5th Gen Tech
Anything that doesn't fit in one of the above categories goes here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 12-06-2009, 04:45 PM Thread Starter

What to do for winter storage

Ive heard so much regarding storing my car for winter. I plan to store it in my neighbors garage. Going to start it weekly and let it run for about 20 minutes. What about the tires?? I'm not planning on jacking the car up off the ground. Also, do dryer sheets work as a mouse repellant?? Don't think they have mice but never know. Please help! Thanks. Deb
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 12-06-2009, 05:30 PM

I've been storing my big motorcycles at winter for years.

A few important things I, and others do:

Most important is to add Sta-Bil gas stableizer to the gas.

It stops the gas from gumming up and causing problems.

I pull the battery, bring it inside and charge it every 2 or 3 weeks.

Others leave it on the bike, in the garage and attach a good low level charger to it. Our bike batteries are a lot smaller though.

I store my bike at an unheated storage facility. I chose one (metal building) out of the sun to prevent condensation and chrome rusting. Good idea to wax any exposed chrome on steel.

Most all of us do not start the bikes during storage to prevent condensation within the enging.

I don't even go to visit it, during storage as opening the garage door will create instant condensation all over the bike.

Some put cardboard under the tires if setting on concrete but I never have with no problems.

I will have no problem storing my Camaro as I bought it for winter use.

Use my Goldwing for many more miles in the summer. Won't give that up for any Camaro. 0-60 in 3.77 sec.
post #3 of 5 Old 12-07-2009, 01:49 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by debbede View Post
Ive heard so much regarding storing my car for winter. I plan to store it in my neighbors garage. Going to start it weekly and let it run for about 20 minutes. What about the tires?? I'm not planning on jacking the car up off the ground. Also, do dryer sheets work as a mouse repellant?? Don't think they have mice but never know. Please help! Thanks. Deb
If its only for the winter, Just before you are going to put it away get the car low on gas then fill the high octane and mix in stabild as you fill.. The tires should have no problem.. If you think theres mice put out some glue traps under the car.. If u have to store it for longer then there are a couple of other things but for you that should be good.

Good luck..

Chance Favors The Prepared Mind!

Quote:
Originally Posted by el ess X View Post
Look at it this way, if you have "Camaro" written on your car somewhere, you're already starting with a great platform!!

post #4 of 5 Old 12-07-2009, 05:00 AM

Moth Balls and dryersheets for critters, Sta-Bil in the gas, and start it every 3 to 4 weeks for 20 min. or so to keep everything lubed and injectors clear. Also ground tarp and GM cover.
post #5 of 5 Old 02-11-2010, 05:42 PM

Storage

Ya, like he said!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page