2010 Camaro at 16? - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
General Technical Discussion General 5th Gen Tech
Anything that doesn't fit in one of the above categories goes here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 44 Old 03-07-2010, 09:18 PM Thread Starter

2010 Camaro at 16?

Should a 16 year old get a camaro as there first car? what do everyone think about it and the pricing insurance etc.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 Old 03-07-2010, 09:54 PM

Garage
I would recommend starting with something else as your first car. I was 17 when I got my camaro but I had about 2 years of driving 2 accidents(one a year ago today) but both were not my fault. I also have not gotten any tickets. When I was 16 and driving I tried to be as safe as possible but did have some close calls. That is why I would start with something else as your first car, till you get the hang of things.

2009 Yamaha R1
2011 Corvette Grand Sport
2010 2SS/RS Black & IOM Modifications
post #3 of 44 Old 03-07-2010, 10:21 PM

If he can buy it he can have it.

That's how I was raised anyway. My first car was a 76 Camaro because I paid for it.

post #4 of 44 Old 03-08-2010, 05:50 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MValdez17 View Post
I would recommend starting with something else as your first car. I was 17 when I got my camaro but I had about 2 years of driving 2 accidents(one a year ago today) but both were not my fault. I also have not gotten any tickets. When I was 16 and driving I tried to be as safe as possible but did have some close calls. That is why I would start with something else as your first car, till you get the hang of things.

Well said !!!!!!! however I will say if you can afford it yourself then its yours.
post #5 of 44 Old 03-08-2010, 06:52 AM
Supporter of common sense

Depends on the family financial situation, if they have no problem affording it, I see no problem with them having it

Joe :: Over Anxious 67 Camaro RS/SS L78
5thgenblog.com // Michigan Classics
Chevrolet Camaro in Transformers // My ebaY auctions

Hot Rod Search Google searches for gearheads!
post #6 of 44 Old 03-08-2010, 07:26 AM
Veteran Member

the SS is a lot of power for someone new to driving... but the V6 would be a comfortable fit... i wouldn't recommend any teenager to get a brand new car, they have a 99.99% chance of wrecking it, and better to wreck an older model that is easier to repair or replace than a brand new, first year of production vehicle that doesn't have many replacement parts yet!

April 2010 Member/Car of the Month

Gone but not Forgotten!
post #7 of 44 Old 03-08-2010, 07:32 AM
Veteran Member

insurance would be the big one to look into as well. that could make or break your decision. i know that here in alberta if you're a male under 25 you can basically expect to pay more for insurance then a monthly payment on a vehicle. if you're 16 though you won't be able to legaly stand on a loan application, so it would have to be in your parents name. so i guess it boils to if your parents will buy it for you

welcome to alberta we eat cow, drill oil and rope calves

wants to push you down a flight of stairs to see if you are like a slinky or if you bounce like a ball... either way, I am quite sure I will be amused
post #8 of 44 Old 03-08-2010, 07:50 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitty View Post
insurance would be the big one to look into as well. that could make or break your decision. i know that here in alberta if you're a male under 25 you can basically expect to pay more for insurance then a monthly payment on a vehicle. if you're 16 though you won't be able to legaly stand on a loan application, so it would have to be in your parents name. so i guess it boils to if your parents will buy it for you
that's odd, because i'm 22; full coverage insurance on my 98 dakota was $70 per month when it was labelled as a full time vehicle and for my SS it is $110 per month... not that big of a difference. (i have homeowner, multi-car, & safe driver discounts)

i tried getting them to list the camaro as a part time vehicle, but because it was newer and i was not 25 or married they had to list it as my full time vehicle, so now my truck is listed as a part time vehicle at $50 per month. and the jet ski is a measely $25 per month (everything full coverage)

April 2010 Member/Car of the Month

Gone but not Forgotten!
post #9 of 44 Old 03-08-2010, 08:06 AM
Veteran Member

It all depends on how the 16 yr old drives, there is a lot of power in these cars V6 or V8, with great power comes......... and all that. The money thing should be the second thing to worry about, because if they can't drive in the first place it dose not really matter what you give them, and adding a high performance vehical to that situation is just asking for trouble and sorrow.

Go to http://www.cheers*****.com/Camaro.html to view picictures of my Camaro!
post #10 of 44 Old 03-08-2010, 08:17 AM
Camaro Focus Group Member

i didn't get a Camaro when i was 16... tho i REALLY, REALLY wanted one. my mom got me a Corsica instead... and i'm glad she did. my first car was a learning experience... i backed into someone, curb checked a wheel when i decided to drive without my glasses, ran over a pipe, the doors got keyed by my bf's ex, it got egged by another ex, i learned how crappy turtle wax is... and other things i'm so glad i didn't have to put a Camaro thru. by the time i was 19 and i bought my 98 V6 Camaro, i was much wiser and took utmost care of that car. the cost of insurance and horsepower are other good considerations too.

"All alone in my funeral home, playing in blood, there's just got to be something wrong with me" -Slayer-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page