Definitions of "Stock" - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
General Technical Discussion General 5th Gen Tech
Anything that doesn't fit in one of the above categories goes here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 03-17-2010, 12:00 PM Thread Starter

Definitions of "Stock"

I just thought it might be fun to start a friendly debate on what peoples different opinions of a "Stock" car are and what their reasoning is. Now I know some people are very passionate about this so let's try to keep it fun and not make anything personal!

I'm personally kind of on the fence on a few things. I think things like air filters that would be replaced due to maintenance anyhow do not void a car of it's "Stock" classification. So here is a short list of parts that I feel can be "replaced" and still allow the car to remain classified as "stock"

1. Air filters (filter only, not an entire CAI kit).
2. Tires - as long as they mount onto the wheels that came with the car.
3. Plug wires - they would be replaced later due to maintenance anyhow.
4. Spark Plugs - again a maintenance item.
5. Fluids - Engine oil, Transmission fluid, brake fluid, differential fluid, etc...
6. Brake Pads - as long as they fit into the OEM calipers
7. Brake Rotors - again as long as they are designed as a direct replacement with no other supporting modifications required.
8. Muffler(s) - muffler only, not the entire CAT back.
9. Battery(ies) - as long as it's designed as a direct replacement in the stock location.
10. One I'm on the fence with is Tuning. On one hand I feel that tuning only maximizes the "stock" potential of the engine since OEM's need to worry about warranties and are therefore going to be a little more conservative in their tunes. But I can see the other side of the coin too where some people feel that a tune disqualifies a car as "Stock".

So let's hear what some other peoples ideas are.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 03-17-2010, 12:10 PM
Veteran Member

General wear and tear items such as fluids, filters, and tires. Tires are tricky as a drag radial would not be stock. So an equivalent replacement would be the more detailed definition. Same with brakes as there are plenty of upgrades such as Hawk or EBC.

Mufflers are not wear items. Tuning is not a wear item.

It's very simple to define stock, IMO.

There is also a "Showroom Stock" which would be identical replacements such as Delco parts and the same tires.

www.fquick.com/demonspeed
Present: '02 SS #7146
Past: '89 IROC-Z|'91 Z28|'00 SS #0795|'01 Z28
post #3 of 11 Old 03-17-2010, 12:26 PM
Camaro Focus Group Member

^ i agree

"All alone in my funeral home, playing in blood, there's just got to be something wrong with me" -Slayer-

post #4 of 11 Old 03-17-2010, 12:28 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonspeed View Post
General wear and tear items such as fluids, filters, and tires. Tires are tricky as a drag radial would not be stock. So an equivalent replacement would be the more detailed definition. Same with brakes as there are plenty of upgrades such as Hawk or EBC.

There is also a "Showroom Stock" which would be identical replacements such as Delco parts and the same tires.
Yes I feel that "Showroom Stock" is a little easier to define and set boundaries for that the singular term "stock". Adding the term "showroom" in that title pretty much defines for you.
post #5 of 11 Old 03-17-2010, 12:37 PM
Veteran Member

when I think of "stock" I ONLY think of drivetrain. But when a warranty company is concerned, they don't like ANY aftermarket parts. Not that using non-ac delco plugs is gonna upset anyone, but if you read your owners manual, it does tell you to use GM approved fluids, ac delco parts etc...blah blah blah.

2010-2SS/RS/LS3/IBM/RP6: ECS-Paxton Supercharger / American Racing Headers & Exhaust / PFADT Suspension / DSS 9" 4.10 Rear / FOR SALE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taglane View Post
Powerfreak is the only one who actually understood anything.

Last edited by POWERFREAK; 03-17-2010 at 05:25 PM.
post #6 of 11 Old 03-17-2010, 01:16 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick 2K2 SS View Post
Yes I feel that "Showroom Stock" is a little easier to define and set boundaries for that the singular term "stock". Adding the term "showroom" in that title pretty much defines for you.
There is a difference, though (at least in my definition). "Showroom Stock" is 100% identical to how it was delivered from GM (not from the dealer, mind you, as dealers can put all sorts of things on and sell as new). Showroom Stock may have had a new set of tires or a new air filter put on at some time in the vehicle's life, but those items will be the direct GM replacement part.

"Stock" is factory equivalent. You are not getting Z rated tires to replace all-seasons, and you're not going to change the heat range of the spark plugs. Yes, you can use a different supplier (NGK plugs versus Delco, or Goodyear's versus Pirelli), but the parts will be equivalent.

Any deviation from that will result in a modified vehicle. Any form of computer programing (other than a GM service update) will also result in a modified vehicle (such as Tim was razzed when he posted the fastest "stock" A6 time )

Last edited by demonspeed; 03-17-2010 at 07:25 PM.
post #7 of 11 Old 03-17-2010, 02:07 PM Thread Starter

I guess you'll always be stuck with your shark fin then if you want to remain "stock" Just razzing you a little demonspeed since your avatar description says "shakfin hater"!!
That's why I think this is fun though, just to see what everyones opinions are. No right or wrong answers, just fun discussions.
post #8 of 11 Old 03-17-2010, 02:59 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick 2K2 SS View Post
I guess you'll always be stuck with your shark fin then if you want to remain "stock" Just razzing you a little demonspeed since your avatar description says "shakfin hater"!!
That's why I think this is fun though, just to see what everyones opinions are. No right or wrong answers, just fun discussions.
Yup, not saying I'm right or wrong

And I will pray they remove the fin in the future

post #9 of 11 Old 03-17-2010, 05:07 PM
Veteran Member

I generally concur with demonspeed's assessment. I appreciate modded cars as well as factory stock cars. I do believe it is MUCH harder to restore a car to factory stock status though.

2010 2SS/RS Auto, Sunroof, Engine Cover. Transformer Edition package.
2013 ZL1 ragtop #5478. 1 of 54 CRT M6 'verts.
post #10 of 11 Old 03-17-2010, 05:11 PM
Supporter of common sense

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonspeed View Post

Well put

+1

Joe :: Over Anxious 67 Camaro RS/SS L78
5thgenblog.com // Michigan Classics
Chevrolet Camaro in Transformers // My ebaY auctions

Hot Rod Search Google searches for gearheads!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page