strange noise from air vents - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
General Technical Discussion General 5th Gen Tech
Anything that doesn't fit in one of the above categories goes here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 03-18-2010, 04:02 PM Thread Starter

strange noise from air vents

i know this topic has been discussed before, but i looks like my problem is a bit diffrent from the other ones.

turning the vent to position 2 and up produces a somehow clattering sound with a high frequency that is not very loud but annoying.

i really don't know what produces the noise. it sounds like the fan would touch somewhere or a bearing is defect or something like that. it's quite difficult to describe. it does not disappear when i change the air output to floor or windshield or to recirculation. it only alters the volume of the noise a bit.
interrestingly, turning the temperature from cold to hot changes also the intensitiy of the noise. it is loudest near the hot position and then gets clearly more quiet in the hottest position.

perhaps the fan is the problem, but i'm really not sure.

the problem is that i live in switzerland / europe, and most chevrolet dealers here have no knowledge about the camaro since it is not officially sold here. so i doubt that they know of this problem or even know how to change the fan, if necessary.

any help would be great.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 06-11-2010, 10:43 PM

I've noticed it in mine too. At first I thought it was a transmission whine, but I think it is the air conditioning. Just havent taken it to the dealer about it since my car isnt exactly stock anymore.
post #3 of 4 Old 07-28-2012, 05:53 PM

Hmmm... add me to the list of people with blower fan noise. Just started today, and only when the fan is 3/4 of the way up or higher. It "rattles" like its hitting against something... not steadily enough to actually be something and not exactly random either... seems to me like the kind of sound a fan that is getting "loose" in its orbit would make. Sadly, mines out of warranty so gonna be on my own for this one.

post #4 of 4 Old 07-28-2012, 06:02 PM
Premium Member

Garage
Here is an idea, remove the cabin air filter (top of firewall curb side) and look for anything caught in the air intake. I was amazed how big it is and how easy it would be for anything to pass through to the fan if the filter was damaged.

Worth a shot, IMO.

2010 2SS/RS A6 L99 Born 09/16/2009 Vin#9146985
ModernCamaro Car of the Month Jan 2013
CAI,Axle back exhaust, V Max Throttle Body
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page