Thoughts on Dealer "Undercoat and Paint Protection" package - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
General Technical Discussion General 5th Gen Tech
Anything that doesn't fit in one of the above categories goes here.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 31 Old 06-18-2010, 06:52 AM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Fairfax, VA
Posts: 75
 
Thoughts on Dealer "Undercoat and Paint Protection" package

When I bought my '10, I declined the "special" they were running on their undercoat/interior/paint protection package. Is it really worth the $300 or so they charge for this? Is this a sucker dealer add on or is it really going to help protect against rust, weather, etc?
Mikeinva is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 31 Old 06-18-2010, 07:03 AM
Veteran Member
 
RedJewel2SS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 4,449
 
no!

the entire body is already coated in an anti-rust protection beneath the paint and primer.

this step has been integrated in most modern vehicles before paint and before the vehicle is even delivered to the dealership

April 2010 Member/Car of the Month

Gone but not Forgotten!
RedJewel2SS is offline  
post #3 of 31 Old 06-18-2010, 08:41 AM
Veteran Member
 
demonspeed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 4,544
 
What he said. Just a way to make more money for them.

www.fquick.com/demonspeed
Present: '02 SS #7146
Past: '89 IROC-Z|'91 Z28|'00 SS #0795|'01 Z28
demonspeed is offline  
 
post #4 of 31 Old 06-18-2010, 10:55 AM
Veteran Member
 
weland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: S.F. Bay Area
Posts: 3,900
  
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeinva View Post
When I bought my '10, I declined the "special" they were running on their undercoat/interior/paint protection package. Is it really worth the $300 or so they charge for this? Is this a sucker dealer add on or is it really going to help protect against rust, weather, etc?
Not worth it.

Still legal in 16 states. It's happy. It's fun. It's Happy Fun Car.
Do not taunt Happy Fun Car.
weland is offline  
post #5 of 31 Old 06-18-2010, 11:03 AM
www.camaroscotty.com
 
Camaro Scotty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: www.heiserchevroletcadillac.com
Posts: 5,298
  
Garage
YES! but not for the price they offer! (For rustproofing only) NOT PAINT AND INTERIOR - you can do this yourself.

I see rustproofed trucks coming in perfect, and non-rustproofed trucks coming in with holes. You driving in salt? If so - how long do you want your car to last....?

http://www.camaroscotty.com
YAHOO IM:
CamaroScotty / FACEBOOK: Camaro Scotty
Camaro Scotty is offline  
post #6 of 31 Old 01-10-2011, 08:50 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 4
 
I got it. I think it was pretty worth it cause if I ever get a deep scratch I cant fix or dont feel like fixing myself I can just call them up and bring it in under warranty.
bigwayne3000 is offline  
post #7 of 31 Old 01-10-2011, 09:05 AM
Veteran Member
 
el ess X's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Aiken, SC
Posts: 3,055
  
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwayne3000 View Post
I got it. I think it was pretty worth it cause if I ever get a deep scratch I cant fix or dont feel like fixing myself I can just call them up and bring it in under warranty.
Good luck with that. I've never heard of a scratch protection warranty. They may have duped you into believing that.

2010 2SS/RS Auto, Sunroof, Engine Cover. Transformer Edition package.
2013 ZL1 ragtop #5478. 1 of 54 CRT M6 'verts.
el ess X is offline  
post #8 of 31 Old 01-10-2011, 09:07 AM
Veteran Member
 
POWERFREAK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: NY
Posts: 7,873
  
Quote:
Originally Posted by el ess X View Post
Good luck with that. I've never heard of a scratch protection warranty. They may have duped you into believing that.
I was thinking the same thing.

2010-2SS/RS/LS3/IBM/RP6: ECS-Paxton Supercharger / American Racing Headers & Exhaust / PFADT Suspension / DSS 9" 4.10 Rear / FOR SALE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taglane View Post
Powerfreak is the only one who actually understood anything.
POWERFREAK is offline  
post #9 of 31 Old 01-10-2011, 11:11 AM
Bully Proof
 
Envy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 7,086
  
Garage
My dealership did offer a Scratch & Dent policy that costs $799.00. It covered any scratch or dent smaller than a credit card. I purchased this coverage when I bought my car. However, when the dealership's P & B was unable to match the SGM paint to my expectations...I cancelled the coverage and received a refund.
Envy is offline  
post #10 of 31 Old 01-10-2011, 11:54 AM
Veteran Member
 
CyCam1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Nashville, TN
Posts: 1,285
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Envy View Post
My dealership did offer a Scratch & Dent policy that costs $799.00. It covered any scratch or dent smaller than a credit card. I purchased this coverage when I bought my car. However, when the dealership's P & B was unable to match the SGM paint to my expectations...I cancelled the coverage and received a refund.
Are you sure they didn't "ban" you for that???

Silver Ice Metallic 2013 Camaro 2LT
Born 7/29/2012 Delivered 4/24/2013
CyCam1
CyCam1 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome