Windshield Replacement - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
General Technical Discussion General 5th Gen Tech
Anything that doesn't fit in one of the above categories goes here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 45 Old 10-04-2010, 11:55 AM Thread Starter

Windshield Replacement

I'm hoping Scotty, Eric, or Anna will be able to chime in and tell me if this quote sounds reasonable or not.

I had a weak moment yesterday and let my girlfriend drive my car (first mistake I made) to the local Sam's Club. We were just about to pull into the parking lot when I heard a loud noise. I look up just in time to see the rear tires on the passenger side of the Wal-Mart/Sam's Club tractor trailer up on the curb as he cut the corner too sharp and kicked up some rocks. Well, one of those rocks decided to jump over the car in front of us and hit the passenger side of my windshield, causing pretty substantial damage. We pulled in behind him and waited for him to park before I confronted him. He was oblivious (or at least pretended to be) to the fact that he hit the curb with his rear tires. I asked him to follow me to the corner of the curb and even after seeing the fresh damage, he still claimed that he didn't hit it. We took a walk to the rear tires of his trailer and found that the two outer tires on the passenger side were both blown, much to his "surprise." We exchanged information and on I went.

I took my car in to the dealership today to get a quote for the windshield to be replaced and it came to $971.43! I'm not paying a penny of this, but I still found that quote shocking. $809.43 was for the actual windshield and the rest was labor and taxes.

Does a windshield for these cars really cost $809? or is the dealership trying to get the most out of the insurance company?

2010 1LT RS, M6, Silver w/black stripes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 45 Old 10-04-2010, 12:42 PM
Veteran Member

$809

JBA Cat Back Exhaust
Pfadt Adjustable Sport Sway Bars
Pfadt Drop Springs
Misc Appearance Changes

Other Car~93 SVT Lightning #260 w/408
post #3 of 45 Old 10-04-2010, 12:54 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroChic View Post
$809
Haha, my thought exactly! I'm not even paying a penny of it and that quote made my stomach turn a little bit...I can't imagine what I would do if it were coming out of my pocket.

post #4 of 45 Old 10-04-2010, 02:05 PM
ZL1 @ MSRP

WOW!! It seems like a lot of money to me.

We don't install glass here, we use a couple of local auto-glass companies, so I don't know how much the windshields cost.

Can you call one to get a 2nd opinion?

Anna Bearinger
Sparta Chevrolet
616-887-1791
[email protected]

PROUD NAVY MOM
post #5 of 45 Old 10-04-2010, 02:21 PM
Veteran Member

be sure to get a GM windshield, and not aftermarket!

when i bought my truck, the passenger door window was scratched underneath the tint, so i made them replace it. they said they could order one and it take a few days, but they couldn't guarantee it wasn't OEM. i suggested they swap the windows out of one of their trucks on the lot while THEY wait for the window to come in.

the things sales people will go through to make a sell

April 2010 Member/Car of the Month

Gone but not Forgotten!
post #6 of 45 Old 10-04-2010, 02:40 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJewel2SS View Post
be sure to get a GM windshield, and not aftermarket!
Aftermarket is not an option. I called Safelite for a 2nd quote and it was nearly half of what the dealership came in at ($470 + tax), but I want to stick with an OEM windshield...especially since it is at someone else's expense.

post #7 of 45 Old 10-04-2010, 02:47 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSinMaine View Post
Aftermarket is not an option. I called Safelite for a 2nd quote and it was nearly half of what the dealership came in at ($470 + tax), but I want to stick with an OEM windshield...especially since it is at someone else's expense.
you will probably get a call from the insurance adjuster trying to convince you to take the cheaper windshield... they're always trying to save money

but you have the right to pick which one you want

happened to me on my old truck, they said either replace the bedside with a used one or they would total the truck... i didn't have much of a choice since it was my only mode of transportation!

April 2010 Member/Car of the Month

Gone but not Forgotten!
post #8 of 45 Old 10-04-2010, 03:24 PM
Veteran Member

Garage
I had to have mine replaced (rock hit it on interstate and cracked it) Mine cost $509.00 got to love insurance

2014 2LT/RS with spring edition package. Proud Litho Owner #28.
post #9 of 45 Old 10-04-2010, 03:34 PM
Supporter of common sense

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSinMaine View Post
OEM parts are often aftermarket parts in a different box - GM does not make windshields

Regarding the incident, most of us have been there. Not sure why you would confront the other driver, most of the time that can lead only to a negative experience, sounds like yours did not, thankfully.

This will probably go through your insurance company (in Michigan it would for sure) don't expect the trucking company to come up with a penny, sounds like an unfortunate case of bad timing and I wouldn't expect them to pay any of it.

Good luck with the repairs

Joe :: Over Anxious 67 Camaro RS/SS L78
5thgenblog.com // Michigan Classics
Chevrolet Camaro in Transformers // My ebaY auctions

Hot Rod Search Google searches for gearheads!
post #10 of 45 Old 10-04-2010, 05:43 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverAnxious View Post
OEM parts are often aftermarket parts in a different box - GM does not make windshields

Regarding the incident, most of us have been there. Not sure why you would confront the other driver, most of the time that can lead only to a negative experience, sounds like yours did not, thankfully.

This will probably go through your insurance company (in Michigan it would for sure) don't expect the trucking company to come up with a penny, sounds like an unfortunate case of bad timing and I wouldn't expect them to pay any of it.
If it were a rock in the road that a tire just happened to kick up, that's a different story. In my particular situation, the driver made a mistake, took too sharp of a turn, went up on the curb, blew two tires, and kicked up a rock that hit my windshield. He was at fault.

As far as the confrontation...a .45 cal semi-auto + concealed permit always makes that a bit easier. Also, his insurance company has already made the claim and the windshield will be replaced on wednesday, no questions asked by them. It actually went pretty smoothly.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page