Rear End Popping - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
General Technical Discussion General 5th Gen Tech
Anything that doesn't fit in one of the above categories goes here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 Old 07-31-2011, 08:24 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Rear End Popping

I noticed somthing today that kind of has me worried. When i backed out of my garage and turned the wheel it felt and sounded like a "popping" noise came from the rear end. If you know what a truck sounds like if you try to turn really sharp on asphault while in 4 wheel drive, it was that type of sound. Anyone else heard this? car only has 1000 miles on it....hope i didnt get a lemon haha

2011 Camaro 1LT RS. Summit White. Cyber Gray Metallic stripes. Heritage Grille. Stay tuned...more to come!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 08-01-2011, 07:05 AM
Support MC & Troops

Keep an eye/ear on it, I haven't heard any issues, but things, always happen,
if it happens again take it to yo dealer, wright down the dates & times it happens
hope that help's, sorry if not.
I had my rear-end gear go out on me truck w/ only 500 + something miles ,
I was the only person that had a issue like this for a couple years me dealer stated,
years later from their dealership, they still had no one have me issue w/me rear-end.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Getting way pumped up ..LOL(Never giving up !)

The all new Convertible (Born 1/11/11) !, Welcome to the Fleet !
SHADOW 2013 GBA 2SS/RS A6 Vert (2/13/14)
"FROST 2011 SIM LT1 A6 " FIRST VERT MOTM AUGUST 2013
*PROTESTING GM*
"GIVE ME MY13'IBM ZL1 vert GM!"
post #3 of 15 Old 08-01-2011, 05:47 PM
Premium Member

Garage
Take it back to the dealer ASAP, it needs the limited slip additive installed. Mine did this early on last year but found a bad bearing as well and had to be rebuilt. Most of the common noise's from rear end are because of lack of or not enough of the additive.
Hope this helps.
JW

2010 2SS/RS A6 L99 Born 09/16/2009 Vin#9146985
ModernCamaro Car of the Month Jan 2013
CAI,Axle back exhaust, V Max Throttle Body

Last edited by JWD621; 08-02-2011 at 05:09 PM.

post #4 of 15 Old 08-01-2011, 06:03 PM
Veteran Member

Garage
^^
Agree. ASAP. But see if can get to reproduce the noise first. Then have them get in the car with you.

Buzz
2010 Synergy Green 1LT

post #5 of 15 Old 08-14-2011, 06:52 PM

Garage
Any resolution? Mine is doing this as well. Pops once when I start to back up and again when I start moving forward. Almost like the rearend is binding then unbinding.

2011 2LT/RS CGM
post #6 of 15 Old 08-14-2011, 08:04 PM Thread Starter

Garage
There is a TSB per Chevrolet on the issue. It happens with both the corvettes and camaros. Something to do with the posi trac in the rear end. Easy fix, take it in to your dealer, tell them u know theres a tsb on it and the resolution is some type of additive for the rear end fluid. Dropped it off when they opened and picked it up around lunch. Didnt cost a dime. Hope this helps!!

2011 Camaro 1LT RS. Summit White. Cyber Gray Metallic stripes. Heritage Grille. Stay tuned...more to come!!
post #7 of 15 Old 08-14-2011, 08:35 PM

Garage
Thanks!

2011 2LT/RS CGM
post #8 of 15 Old 09-01-2011, 02:11 PM

Garage
So I went to the dealer today for the car's first oil change and brought up the issue of the popping noise. I was told by the service "advisor" that the tech looked everything over and checked the driveline. Everything looked normal and that a clunking noise is normal when a car is shifted from park to drive. I told her I have an M6, not automatic, and it "pops", not "clunks". I then asked if the tech heard the noise and she said no, but everything was fine. I laughed, took my keys back, and left. I have an appointment at another dealership to have this looked at. Does anyone happen to have the TSB# that applies to this? Thanks for the help!

2011 2LT/RS CGM
post #9 of 15 Old 09-01-2011, 07:29 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I found this that another member posted on another thread....print this and take it in and tell them to take care of it haha

PI0137A: Rear Axle Chatter Type Noise on Low Speed Turns - (Feb 24, 2011)

Subject:

Rear Axle Chatter Type Noise on Low Speed Turns

Models:

2010-2011 Chevrolet Camaro

Equipped with Limited-Slip Differential (RPO G80)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This PI is being revised to add the 2011 model year. Please discard PI0137.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

Condition/Concern

Some customers may comment on a chatter-type noise from the rear of the vehicle while making low speed turns.

This condition may be caused by a slip/stick of the posi-traction clutch plates. As the plates slip and stick, a jumping or jerking feel occurs, accompanied by a chatter noise.

Recommendation/Instructions

Important: Prior to adding the limited-slip axle additive, the bottle MUST be shaken vigorously for at least one minute to mix the additive thoroughly, then immediately poured into the differential.

Drain and refill the rear differential with new fluid, GM P/N 89021677 (in Canada, use P/N 89021678) and additive, GM P/N 1052358 (in Canada, use P/N 992694). Refer to the Differential Oil Replacement procedure in SI.

Once the differential fluid has been changed, the vehicle must be driven in eight tight figure eight maneuvers to heat the fluid and allow the additive to be worked into the clutch plates

post #10 of 15 Old 09-01-2011, 07:48 PM

Garage
Awesome, thanks! I'll take this to the other dealership. The funny part is, the dealership I bought the car from specializes in Camaros and Corvettes. Wonder how much $$$ they have cost less savy owners.

2011 2LT/RS CGM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page