6 month winter storage - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
General Technical Discussion General 5th Gen Tech
Anything that doesn't fit in one of the above categories goes here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 Old 10-27-2011, 07:01 PM Thread Starter

6 month winter storage

Any suggestions for a 6 month cold winter storage with no power?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 10-27-2011, 08:51 PM
Veteran Member

Garage
If your not going to move it then place it on 4 jack stands and let the suspension hang loose. This will prevent your tires from going out of "round". While it up if you have the chance start in up about once a week.

2013 LT2/RS, Crystal Red Metallic, TAZ Jr.
2016 H-D Ultra Classic, Black Fire Purple, (PPE)
2015 H-D Street Glide, Superior Blue. (Old Blue) Traded
2012 Big Horn, RAM, Crew Cab, SLT, Dark Cherry Red Pearl (Betty Boop)
1998 Honda Accord 2d, daily driver.
post #3 of 19 Old 10-28-2011, 09:49 AM

Storing your car on jack stands is bad for the suspension. Flat spots on tires of this day and age is a myth.. starting the car weekly will do more damage than good. Creates condensation in all sorts of bad places. A good battery can sit for at least one year and still start fine. A tender is recommended but you have no power. If it's in a place where mice may get at it do whatever you need to to keep them away. Look on the net for that one. They love to chew on wiring harnesses that are costly to replace. I have been storing cars in WI for for years and have never had any issues doing as described. One dead battery but it sat for two years before it was moved. The care has 2500.00 tires and run perfectly true after sitting two long years. I just moved to FL no more storing for mwaa.

https://www.moderncamaro.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic3972_7.gif

post #4 of 19 Old 10-28-2011, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camarozilla View Post
Storing your car on jack stands is bad for the suspension. Flat spots on tires of this day and age is a myth.. starting the car weekly will do more damage than good. Creates condensation in all sorts of bad places. A good battery can sit for at least one year and still start fine. A tender is recommended but you have no power. If it's in a place where mice may get at it do whatever you need to to keep them away. Look on the net for that one. They love to chew on wiring harnesses that are costly to replace. I have been storing cars in WI for for years and have never had any issues doing as described. One dead battery but it sat for two years before it was moved. The care has 2500.00 tires and run perfectly true after sitting two long years. I just moved to FL no more storing for mwaa.
I'd have to agree. Leave the battery disconnected, and you should be fine. Or better yet, remove the battery and put it in your home. The tires will get flat spots, but will disappear within the first couple miles of driving. Make sure you have good somewhat clean oil in it. Depending on how cold it will get, make sure you have at least a half tank of gas, fuel stabilizer wouldn't hurt either. And if you have OnStar active, call them and put your car on winter storage, they will keep the basics on it (theft, etc), drop the rest, and not charge a dime for 6 months (if I remember right).
post #5 of 19 Old 10-28-2011, 11:20 AM
Veteran Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camarozilla View Post
Ok for me, I have had flat spot tires that I had to replace, I also get some "small amount" of bump/rumble when it get cold here in FL with both my Camaro and Honda as the tires warm up it goes away.

As for hurting the suspension, I beleive that would be personal preference. If it will hurt the suspension please enlighten me.

Just my 2 cents. Peace out.

ras

2013 LT2/RS, Crystal Red Metallic, TAZ Jr.
2016 H-D Ultra Classic, Black Fire Purple, (PPE)
2015 H-D Street Glide, Superior Blue. (Old Blue) Traded
2012 Big Horn, RAM, Crew Cab, SLT, Dark Cherry Red Pearl (Betty Boop)
1998 Honda Accord 2d, daily driver.
post #6 of 19 Old 10-28-2011, 07:23 PM

Once mine does go into storage I park it on foam blocks. No flat spots.

JANUARY 2012 MODERN CAMARO MEMBER OF THE MONTH
JUNE 2012 CAMARONEWS.COM CAR OF THE MONTH
http://5thgencarolinacamaros.webs.com/
post #7 of 19 Old 10-29-2011, 11:32 AM
Support MC & Troops

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
I'd have to agree. Leave the battery disconnected, and you should be fine. Or better yet, remove the battery and put it in your home. The tires will get flat spots, but will disappear within the first couple miles of driving. Make sure you have good somewhat clean oil in it. Depending on how cold it will get, make sure you have at least a half tank of gas, fuel stabilizer wouldn't hurt either. And if you have OnStar active, call them and put your car on winter storage, they will keep the basics on it (theft, etc), drop the rest, and not charge a dime for 6 months (if I remember right).
95%
Tiers will get flat spots but if you place concrete blocks w/wood blocks under
your suspension, its not going to hurt your camaro & lay the tiers on top of
each-other if you like but not needed, as long as they barely touch ground.
Check all of your fluids & top them off, including your fuel, use "Sta-bil" for
your fuel, its a mix / fuel stabilizer for your fuel, one of the best IMO,
I would recommend driving a few miles to get it to mix real well w/the fuel
in the tank & fuel system before storage.
Your Anti freeze should be checked after the first yr & checked each season
regard-less to the owners manual, its better to be safe then sorry, IMO,
use straight anti freeze & not the pre-mixed ones, when filling/topping off
each season, after 3-4yrs its best IMO to test your anti freeze & make sure
the fluid is right to your region / area, (percentage of protection) is critical /
important IMO.
Oh.. if you live in freezing (35deg's or colder) area's I do recommend you
remove your battery and take it in to a area where its warm IMO.

Ohh.. yea.. some people tend to forget to top off the windshield W. fluid
most people will put in water, in the summer & most people will not think,
to use premium fluid for their area, it can freeze, because they forgot.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Getting way pumped up ..LOL(Never giving up !)

The all new Convertible (Born 1/11/11) !, Welcome to the Fleet !
SHADOW 2013 GBA 2SS/RS A6 Vert (2/13/14)
"FROST 2011 SIM LT1 A6 " FIRST VERT MOTM AUGUST 2013
*PROTESTING GM*
"GIVE ME MY13'IBM ZL1 vert GM!"

Last edited by hotrodhoodrat; 10-29-2011 at 11:42 AM.
post #8 of 19 Old 10-29-2011, 11:43 AM

I do not know where the storage building is at, but I live in town. This last season I had mice and snakes in my garage. This is the 1st time in 10 years I have seen either one. You might want to make sure mice , chipmunks, and other animals don't take up residence in your car.
post #9 of 19 Old 10-29-2011, 12:17 PM
Support MC & Troops

Quote:
Originally Posted by USA1Camaro View Post
I do not know where the storage building is at, but I live in town. This last season I had mice and snakes in my garage. This is the 1st time in 10 years I have seen either one. You might want to make sure mice , chipmunks, and other animals don't take up residence in your car.
.. Me so forgot to mention this

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Getting way pumped up ..LOL(Never giving up !)

The all new Convertible (Born 1/11/11) !, Welcome to the Fleet !
SHADOW 2013 GBA 2SS/RS A6 Vert (2/13/14)
"FROST 2011 SIM LT1 A6 " FIRST VERT MOTM AUGUST 2013
*PROTESTING GM*
"GIVE ME MY13'IBM ZL1 vert GM!"
post #10 of 19 Old 11-30-2011, 05:54 PM

I will be storing mine in a climate controlled storage area 55*...do I just disconnect the neg terminal?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page