Service Stabilitrak - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
General Technical Discussion General 5th Gen Tech
Anything that doesn't fit in one of the above categories goes here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 Old 01-31-2012, 02:20 PM Thread Starter

Exclamation Service Stabilitrak

Hey guys,

I bought a used Camaro automatic 2LT V6 a few months ago with 15K miles and have been having service stabilitrak come on the dash periodically throughout my entire ownership. I have taken it to several different dealerships and each time they have "fixed" the problem. I have had 3 wheel speed sensors replaced, on different wheels, and service stabilitrak stays off for about a week. Then it comes right back on again. However, I started noticing that the Service Stabilitrak message will not turn on in warm weather. It mainly comes on in temperatures in the 50's or below. If the car had been turned on in the cold weather the message and all the lights will remain on. But when it warms up, like in the afternoon, the message no longer appears and the lights are off. The only mod on the car is an airaid CAI (installed by previous owner).

From all my research I understand that stabilitrak is integrated into every part of the electronic portion of the vehicle and if one section gives a faulty reading then the message will appear.

Thus, even though the dealerships keep wanting to replace wheel speed sensors, could Service Stabilitrak be triggered by the CAI? Maybe the computer is getting cooler air than it thinks it should and thus sends the message? No check engine light comes on either (The CEL did come on the second day I owned the car and it turned out to be a faulty MAF sensor that they replaced. No CEL since then). I'm about at my wits end here so help would be appreciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 01-31-2012, 02:27 PM

Dont think a CAI would cause that. Sounds like a sensor gone bad. Are you sure the dealership is replacing the sensors or simply clearing it out of the ECM??

JANUARY 2012 MODERN CAMARO MEMBER OF THE MONTH
JUNE 2012 CAMARONEWS.COM CAR OF THE MONTH
http://5thgencarolinacamaros.webs.com/
post #3 of 26 Old 01-31-2012, 02:30 PM Thread Starter

I've waited on them to get the parts in stock so yes. Why would the sensors malfunction only in colder weather?

post #4 of 26 Old 01-31-2012, 02:38 PM

Cool Stabilijunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les_Paul View Post
Hey guys,

I bought a used Camaro automatic 2LT V6 a few months ago with 15K miles and have been having service stabilitrak come on the dash periodically throughout my entire ownership. I have taken it to several different dealerships and each time they have "fixed" the problem. I have had 3 wheel speed sensors replaced, on different wheels, and service stabilitrak stays off for about a week. Then it comes right back on again. However, I started noticing that the Service Stabilitrak message will not turn on in warm weather. It mainly comes on in temperatures in the 50's or below. If the car had been turned on in the cold weather the message and all the lights will remain on. But when it warms up, like in the afternoon, the message no longer appears and the lights are off. The only mod on the car is an airaid CAI (installed by previous owner).

From all my research I understand that stabilitrak is integrated into every part of the electronic portion of the vehicle and if one section gives a faulty reading then the message will appear.

Thus, even though the dealerships keep wanting to replace wheel speed sensors, could Service Stabilitrak be triggered by the CAI? Maybe the computer is getting cooler air than it thinks it should and thus sends the message? No check engine light comes on either (The CEL did come on the second day I owned the car and it turned out to be a faulty MAF sensor that they replaced. No CEL since then). I'm about at my wits end here so help would be appreciated
It looks at engine power if engine has low power it will flash a service stabilijunk message mine was a sparkplug wire not seated
check plug wires sparkplug and coil
do the wiggle test on your MAP sensor and all other sensors
clean CAI filter
check battery condition
scan for code right after message flash
post #5 of 26 Old 01-31-2012, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les_Paul View Post
I've waited on them to get the parts in stock so yes. Why would the sensors malfunction only in colder weather?
From past experiences with my wifes car, 9 times out of 10 a stablitrac issue involves the sensors. Not sure about the cold weather thing though.

JANUARY 2012 MODERN CAMARO MEMBER OF THE MONTH
JUNE 2012 CAMARONEWS.COM CAR OF THE MONTH
http://5thgencarolinacamaros.webs.com/
post #6 of 26 Old 01-31-2012, 02:58 PM Thread Starter

I will check all the connections tonight and look for any problem areas. What is the wiggle test and where is the MAP? I only know where the MAF is...

Camaro Freak, with your wife's car which sensors were the problem? Was it an ongoing issue for her? I don't want to be dealing with this after my warranty expires...
post #7 of 26 Old 01-31-2012, 05:46 PM Thread Starter

Checked all the connections and didn't find any loose wires. However, I'm no expert at this so I could have missed something. I also checked for a leak in the CAI but did not find one.
The main thing that baffles me is that it comes on in cold weather but not normally warm weather...
post #8 of 26 Old 01-31-2012, 06:19 PM

when i had my 1LT i had a similar issue, when i turned the car on it would sputter a bit and give me a service stabilitrak message. after many many trips to the dealership, it was actually a cam placement sensor in the engine that was shorting out my ECU, once they fixed that it was fine

2011 Chevy Camaro 2LT/RS Convertible Auto, CGM
2010 Chevy Camaro 1LT 3.6L Manual [Production #115] Black with cyber grey stripes (http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3370622) Traded 12/10/11
August 2011 MotM
-"Team LLT" representative
South Jersey Camaro Club member
post #9 of 26 Old 02-01-2012, 12:32 PM Thread Starter

So basically it could be any sensor on the vehicle?
post #10 of 26 Old 02-01-2012, 09:52 PM

im not sure honestly, but that's what mine was

2011 Chevy Camaro 2LT/RS Convertible Auto, CGM
2010 Chevy Camaro 1LT 3.6L Manual [Production #115] Black with cyber grey stripes (http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3370622) Traded 12/10/11
August 2011 MotM
-"Team LLT" representative
South Jersey Camaro Club member
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in