Need help here with some issues ( a lot ) - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
General Technical Discussion General 5th Gen Tech
Anything that doesn't fit in one of the above categories goes here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 03-22-2013, 12:00 PM Thread Starter

Need help here with some issues ( a lot )

Hey guys, I have a problem here.

first I will tell you what i have on the car so you can have an Idea about what I'm talking about. its a 2010 camaro M6:

twin turbo, 427 LSX engine, its making over a 1000 rwhp ( basically )

the car was running fine but i noticed that the manifold was glowing the other day, when im cruising around, no high speed. its burning the wires around the engine. in the tune its not showing anything wrong. but its not a regular heat since its burning the wires around the engine.

second question is which spark plug should I use for the car? . now im Using NGK Racing R5724-9 Spark Plugs. ( V power ). some people are saying I should change them, I'm using MSD wires with them. should i go with the NGK TR55-IX Iridium Spark Plugs.

The last thing is the Throttle Response, I feel Im losing a lot of power because of this. i notice this when my car was on a cam package, when i shift its like the car dies and get back to life again. which is annoying, I thought its because of the clutch but its not. I changed my clutch to RPS triple carbon clutch, and did all the moods. but I think i still have the same issue now. is there something i can do to fix this problem.

here is a picture of the spark plugs wires, I dont know if this happened because of the heat or something els. I had a misfire that day
[IMG][/IMG]

I did not know why it has this misfire, I changed the spark plugs, the wires.
I need to take it to the shop to figure that out.

I know its a long thread and a lot of issues in one thread but please i need help.

thank you in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 03-23-2013, 11:53 AM
Support MC & Troops

Using any kind of heat shield.. just asking, sorry to see the problems, its all I got to offer.
I'd take it to the shop that did the install tho.. let them figure out the issue maybe.

Keep us updated w/what you find out, wish you the best on this, hope it gets fixed soon.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Getting way pumped up ..LOL(Never giving up !)

The all new Convertible (Born 1/11/11) !, Welcome to the Fleet !
SHADOW 2013 GBA 2SS/RS A6 Vert (2/13/14)
"FROST 2011 SIM LT1 A6 " FIRST VERT MOTM AUGUST 2013
*PROTESTING GM*
"GIVE ME MY13'IBM ZL1 vert GM!"
post #3 of 13 Old 03-23-2013, 01:31 PM
Premium Member

Garage
You should have heat shields on those plug wire boots. That will help a lot.
I'd get it to a reputable speed shop.

James 1:25 Ordered from Faulkner Chevy #NKCF02 1100 5/8/9 2000, 3300 7/16/9 TPW 7/20,GOT MY (low) VIN! 4000 7/24/9 ,Picked up 8/7/9!!! Signed Litho #45. Car signed by FBodfather 2011. Service: Jennings Chevy in PA. We don't "drift", kiddies... we POWER SLIDE! MOTM/COTM Sept 2012 Pro Patria Vigilans.
Click the pic.. I don't tolerate fools.

post #4 of 13 Old 03-23-2013, 02:17 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrodhoodrat View Post
Using any kind of heat shield.. just asking, sorry to see the problems, its all I got to offer.
I'd take it to the shop that did the install tho.. let them figure out the issue maybe.

Keep us updated w/what you find out, wish you the best on this, hope it gets fixed soon.
I already talked to the guy who build my car, its out of state which make it hard to get the car there. I'm taking it to my friend shop and will see happens after.

thank you for taking your time to read the thread ..
post #5 of 13 Old 03-23-2013, 02:21 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by patriotpa View Post
You should have heat shields on those plug wire boots. That will help a lot.
I'd get it to a reputable speed shop.
I have heat shields on them, now they are making custom wires for the spark plug wires.

now i need help for the other issues I have but I dont know if im in the right suction or not.

Thank you for taking the time
post #6 of 13 Old 03-23-2013, 03:34 PM
Veteran Member

For something as advanced as your engine combo, I'd say use the recommended spark plugs. If you bought the 427 crate engine, they should have a manual with all the recommended fluids, service intervals, spark plugs, etc for the engine. But since you have a twin turbo set-up, either the turbo company or the tuner should have told you which plugs to use and all the other basic maintenance stuff. You have a custom engine. So I personally and honestly wouldn't even pretend to know which plugs you would need. But I have a hunch you won't be able to find them at Auto Zone, lol!! Contact your tuner because he will know more than anyone.

As far as losing power, there could be a few things. Maybe you have a leak somewhere along the pressurized side of the turbos, Maybe the BOV is stuck open or partially open. Maybe your plugs are fouled and you're not getting enough spark. Your AFRs could be off. Since your intake manifold was soo hot it was glowing, once again I would say check the AFR. And maybe check your timing. Maybe it needs to be re-tuned. Let me ask you this, did those spark plug boots come off the side where the intake manifold was glowing? Because if so, then the intake manifold issue may be due to the spark plugs boots I would think. Since you've got a boosted engine that is basically getting no spark in those specific cylinders.

2017 Camaro ZL-1 A10

2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee Hemi 5.7 - Tuned!!

Proud to be the March 2013 Member Of The Month!
post #7 of 13 Old 03-23-2013, 04:56 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapel View Post
For something as advanced as your engine combo, I'd say use the recommended spark plugs. If you bought the 427 crate engine, they should have a manual with all the recommended fluids, service intervals, spark plugs, etc for the engine. But since you have a twin turbo set-up, either the turbo company or the tuner should have told you which plugs to use and all the other basic maintenance stuff. You have a custom engine. So I personally and honestly wouldn't even pretend to know which plugs you would need. But I have a hunch you won't be able to find them at Auto Zone, lol!! Contact your tuner because he will know more than anyone.

As far as losing power, there could be a few things. Maybe you have a leak somewhere along the pressurized side of the turbos, Maybe the BOV is stuck open or partially open. Maybe your plugs are fouled and you're not getting enough spark. Your AFRs could be off. Since your intake manifold was soo hot it was glowing, once again I would say check the AFR. And maybe check your timing. Maybe it needs to be re-tuned. Let me ask you this, did those spark plug boots come off the side where the intake manifold was glowing? Because if so, then the intake manifold issue may be due to the spark plugs boots I would think. Since you've got a boosted engine that is basically getting no spark in those specific cylinders.
yes I know that my engine is too complicated. but about the spark plugs, im using the NGK Racing R5724-9 Spark Plugs. these spark plugs are easy to find, the builder told me that these are good. then I had a tuner recommend Iridium Spark Plugs, he said they are better!!! period. so I might try them out, and tune the car again.

about loosing power: I'm not loosing because there is something wrong or anything. its because when i shift, thats it. when I took of my leg from the the paddle and push it again after shifting. the throttle response is not fast. I cant explain it right. i hope you got what i mean.

because of this issue I might go with racing automatic transmission, this is another thing I might consider doing.

thank you from helping
post #8 of 13 Old 03-23-2013, 06:27 PM
Veteran Member

Ok I get what you're saying. So the throttle response while cruising (without shifting) is still normal?

2017 Camaro ZL-1 A10

2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee Hemi 5.7 - Tuned!!

Proud to be the March 2013 Member Of The Month!
post #9 of 13 Old 03-23-2013, 09:29 PM

I would stay away from iridium plugs. In the boosted engines that I have had they were just not that great. What is your gap? What are the AFR's? Your plug gap should be down to something like .035 and nothing more. If things are red hot I am wondering what is the timing like and how much fuel is getting in. Boosted engines have different timing requirements and lots more fuel under boost. Air Fuel Ratios should be around 11.0 under full boost and you should never hit an AFR of 14.3 at any time since that will overheat things. Are the turbos water and oil cooled or just oil cooled? Check the oil feed lines to the turbos since those can plug up and fry things. Good luck.
post #10 of 13 Old 03-24-2013, 09:01 AM
Veteran Member

Garage
With spark plugs on a boosted engine, it is ALL about the heat range and tip protrusion. Nothing should be glowing EVER! Except possibly for the exhaust manifolds & turbos while under boost and possible cold startup depending on your AFR.

As for your "lag" complaint when shifting that is one of the common drawbacks to turbos. They lose spool speed when you shift as exhaust pressure/speed drops. It might be your wastegate settings. It may also be your AFR, too rich and it gonna choke for a bit til it clears its throat. This amount of richness can also cause glowing manifolds and turbos when NOT under boost...

Definitely get it to a tuner familiar with boosted applications and get the AFR checked and discuss plug recommendations with him...

Chuck
2010 SIM 2SS/RS A6 SC - Born on 10/05/09
MyCamaroBuildInfo

"You Were Really Flyin' When I Passed You Back There!"
February-2013-MOTM-Winner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page