To Mod or not to Mod... that is the question? - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
General Technical Discussion General 5th Gen Tech
Anything that doesn't fit in one of the above categories goes here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 09-30-2013, 09:39 AM Thread Starter

To Mod or not to Mod... that is the question?

I see tons of posts on here about builds, mods, aftermarket "add-on" etc., but I don't see much about people keeping their cars in the stock, or mostly stock form. For the record I plan on keeping my 1LE completely stock, aside from possibly a high-flow drop-in air filter.

I am just wondering what some other people opinions are with regards to doing mods and why they decide to go that route... and what are some opinions of people of keeping their cars stock?

My previous car I went the route of doing some mods and for the most part everything went trouble-free. I had a few issues with the O2 sensors throwing codes due the high-flow cats, but I got that sorted out. I still don't know if it ever would pass emissions because I sold it before I had to get tested.

I am wondering what some other thoughts are about doing mods... IMO they are fine if you can do the work yourself or have a reputable shop close by where you can go to for work and maintenance. IMO I think they are ok if your car is also not a daily driver and more of a toy or weekend track car. I think people can get themselves into trouble, have warranty issues, or end up spending endless amount of money which they will never see in return otherwise.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 09-30-2013, 09:59 AM
Veteran Member

You are talking "performance" mods, I think. If you can do the work yourself, you are in great shape, I think. If you have to pay for it, and pay for any problems created, it becomes much more iffy. I don't think mods are going to affect the value of too many cars, maybe some 2010's, Z/28's, maybe early 1LE's or ZL1's. That said, don't expect to get money for your mods at sale. Past that, I think it comes down to what you want out of your car. If you are never going to race it anywhere, does it make any sense? Depends what you think. Do these mods count at car shows? I don't know one way or another. I'll guess maybe so. If you are going to the track, I'm going to opin that you will need the mods. If it is just for a look or feel that you want, no harm done.

Offhand, I've only done things that are mostly for looks and maybe mildly for function. I'm still debating where to go. Right now, the only thing that I can't reverse, is the holes that were added when I put the splitter on. I'm not going to do anything that causes problems with my annual inspection and I'm probably not going to do anything now that would affect my warranty. Different strokes for different folks, its all good anyway around.

2012 2SS / RS CRT; Additional Options: Highwing Spoiler, Sunroof, Window Tint, Splash Guards, Wheels, Nitro, Heritage Grill, MRT Louvers, Ported Throttle Body, Cold Air Inductions CAI, RX Sport Hood, someone's splitter, River City Strut Bar
Born On: 13 April 2012; Purchased: 27 August 2012
post #3 of 11 Old 09-30-2013, 10:31 AM
Premium Member

Garage
Do what you want, as long as it's legal and safe on the street.
Me? I kept mine stock. GM did it RIGHT!

James 1:25 Ordered from Faulkner Chevy #NKCF02 1100 5/8/9 2000, 3300 7/16/9 TPW 7/20,GOT MY (low) VIN! 4000 7/24/9 ,Picked up 8/7/9!!! Signed Litho #45. Car signed by FBodfather 2011. Service: Jennings Chevy in PA. We don't "drift", kiddies... we POWER SLIDE! MOTM/COTM Sept 2012 Pro Patria Vigilans.
Click the pic.. I don't tolerate fools.

post #4 of 11 Old 09-30-2013, 11:54 AM

I do modding for the personalization of the vehicle. It's nice to go to a car show or a meet and see someone else with the same color car as you, but then to see what you've been able to do to make them different.

Just like the prom girl going and finding out some one there is already in the same dress she is.

Order #: VBBDZ1
2017 Camaro ZL1
Hyper Blue Metallic A10, PDR, NAV, Premium floor mats

Ordered: 12/26/16
March 2014 Member/Car Of the Month
post #5 of 11 Old 09-30-2013, 12:40 PM
Bully Proof

Garage
I did engine and appearance modifications to make my Camaro unique and more suited to my individual tastes. GM did a great job with the design but I think the 5th Gens make a wonderful canvas on which an owner can paint their signature and make it their very own.
post #6 of 11 Old 09-30-2013, 06:07 PM
Veteran Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by karnov View Post
I am just wondering what some other people opinions are with regards to doing mods and why they decide to go that route... and what are some opinions of people of keeping their cars stock?
Mods are usually driven by what a person wants out of the car. Some are in it for appearance, others for performance. As good as the car is out of the box there is room for improvement on the performance side of things and is what my mods were done for.... Appearance wise, I am with Patriot, GM got it PERFECT....

It's a ***** once you have tasted a 9.98 sec 1/4 mile and the associated acceleration that comes with it!! **** bikes!!

Be warned, once you start it can be hard to stop. I am finally "DONE" 4 years later!

Chuck
2010 SIM 2SS/RS A6 SC - Born on 10/05/09
MyCamaroBuildInfo

"You Were Really Flyin' When I Passed You Back There!"
February-2013-MOTM-Winner
post #7 of 11 Old 09-30-2013, 06:13 PM

I typically mod all my vehicles to the extreme, body work, custom paint, engine swaps, you name it. My boyfriend and i do all the work in house, it's the most satisfying that way. If we can't do it ourselves we don't do it, I have zero trust in "mechanics" in general.

NEOCC Member since 2013
post #8 of 11 Old 09-30-2013, 07:07 PM
sdk
Veteran Member

Garage
I put 55,000+ miles on my Camaro before selling her last May. She was bone stock and beautiful.
Your Camaro is your car. Mod or stock? That would be like me telling you what kind of underwear to buy!!!
PS. Send me a PM if you need underwear advice!! LOL!!

2017 Camaro SS
South Carolina
post #9 of 11 Old 10-01-2013, 06:27 AM

Garage
I've been through the modification phase of my life, so this one I have kept bone stock.

Dodger
http://www.southjerseycamaro.com
ModernCamaro Member/Car of the Month: May 2012
post #10 of 11 Old 10-10-2013, 10:50 PM

To mod or not to mod...that is NOT a question! It's a preference.

Every car I've owned up until my 2010 2SS I've kept stock with no appearance mods. The Camaro I've had to make my own. It's similar to marking your territory.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page