Anyone hear of using water injection on the new Ecotec3? - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
General Technical Discussion General 5th Gen Tech
Anything that doesn't fit in one of the above categories goes here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 10-12-2014, 09:34 AM Thread Starter
Premium Member

Garage
Anyone hear of using water injection on the new Ecotec3?

Water injection on a normally aspirated 5.3L DI Ecotec3 engine?
Pros?
Cons?
Worth it?

I'm sure SC2150 will chime in here! ( I hope)!

Especially with a catch can, it should help keep the intake clean as well as boost equivalent octane, keeping us off the low octane fuel tables.

Tune needed?

James 1:25 Ordered from Faulkner Chevy #NKCF02 1100 5/8/9 2000, 3300 7/16/9 TPW 7/20,GOT MY (low) VIN! 4000 7/24/9 ,Picked up 8/7/9!!! Signed Litho #45. Car signed by FBodfather 2011. Service: Jennings Chevy in PA. We don't "drift", kiddies... we POWER SLIDE! MOTM/COTM Sept 2012 Pro Patria Vigilans.
Click the pic.. I don't tolerate fools.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 10-13-2014, 09:06 AM
Veteran Member

Garage
Water injection is used for 3 primary reasons:
1. Allow higher boost by absorbing latent heat in the cyl's
2. lowering IAT charge
3. removing cyl carbon/valve backside carbon buildup (water turns to steam when it reaches the temps associated with the valves/cylinders and very effectively "fractures" carbon)

In a normally aspirated scenario the carbon/buildup removal would be the most beneficial. Though you would get some help in the IAT area on a stock tune in that the ECM would see the lower temps and adjust what little it could fuel-wise...

The trick to H2O injection is the proper metering and atomization of the water. It needs to be in its finest droplet state to be most effective as it has very little time in the intake tract and engine to do its work.... It takes high psi and trick water jets to achieve this properly. I used the Aquamist system on my Twin Turbo RX7 and was able to run 15psi on pump gas vs the stock 7. Of course I had a fuel computer in it as well to do the "math" for the fuel/boost/timing but the water made a HUGE difference and made it totally safe...

It is totally doable for NA but the cost and filling it (like Meth systems) makes it out of bounds for the average car buyer. Thus OEM's don't look at it....

A fun fact:

Water injection has been used as far back as WW2 in aircraft for its ability to reduce IAT, cyl temps and increase power application during take offs etc....

Chuck
2010 SIM 2SS/RS A6 SC - Born on 10/05/09
MyCamaroBuildInfo

"You Were Really Flyin' When I Passed You Back There!"
February-2013-MOTM-Winner

Last edited by hypurone; 10-13-2014 at 09:10 AM.
post #3 of 5 Old 10-13-2014, 09:43 AM

hypurone beat me to it! And, very accurate as usual!

The issues would be having it running constantly to really prevent the coking (we have studied meth/water inj. for several years on the coking, and it can help reduce for sure) and having to fill the reservoir constantly. But yes, the benefits are real.

post #4 of 5 Old 10-13-2014, 03:11 PM Thread Starter
Premium Member

Garage
I know about the aircraft applications, and I know of at least ONE commercial plane that CANNOT take off fully loaded if the water injection isn't running.

James 1:25 Ordered from Faulkner Chevy #NKCF02 1100 5/8/9 2000, 3300 7/16/9 TPW 7/20,GOT MY (low) VIN! 4000 7/24/9 ,Picked up 8/7/9!!! Signed Litho #45. Car signed by FBodfather 2011. Service: Jennings Chevy in PA. We don't "drift", kiddies... we POWER SLIDE! MOTM/COTM Sept 2012 Pro Patria Vigilans.
Click the pic.. I don't tolerate fools.
post #5 of 5 Old 10-14-2014, 10:51 AM

The higher the compression ratio, the more effective water injection is at cooling and reducing detonation under a load....I suspect that is the reason. Water injection goes way back to the 50's and earlier in some applications.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page