High Pitch Noise - First time starting - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
General Technical Discussion General 5th Gen Tech
Anything that doesn't fit in one of the above categories goes here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 06-28-2016, 09:51 PM Thread Starter

High Pitch Noise - First time starting

Hey Guys,

So this weekend I was finally able to try to fire my 68 Camaro back up after a 5 year restoration. I took my time adding fluids and cranking the motor with the coil wire off in order to cycle fluids through the engine and tranny. I forgot to fill the torque converter when I had to tranny out so I slowly added fluid through the dipstick receiver as I cranked the motor over. Now siting at 8.5 quarts of tranny fluid and the level reads full so I think I'm pretty close. I have fuel, spark and oil pressure but when I go to fire it up, the motor feels like it want to fire, and actually did fire (7 seconds) but I shut it down because it made a real high pitch noise when I tapped on the gas a little to keep in alive. I'm worried the torque converter is hosed but I can't really tell where the noise is coming from, maybe its something else. Guys, any suggests on how to trouble shoot this or what to check would be helpful.
Thanks,
__________________________________________________ _______________________
tags : racing games free online, play online free games or free ringtones download

Last edited by Luxion; 12-06-2016 at 12:35 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 06-29-2016, 06:14 AM
Premium Member

It's a scary thing to do, but I don't see any other way but to crank it long enough to locate the source of the noise. Then go about the troubleshooting. You can waste a lot of time and money otherwise. MHO.

SW shorty's, Borla ATAK cat back, SLP Blackwing CAI, Diode Dynamics DRL's, Technostalgia LED sequential tail lights. beauty bar.

post #3 of 4 Old 06-29-2016, 11:36 AM
Veteran Member

Garage
Loose belt? We can only guess as we're not there... like gbvinla said, you gotta run it long enough to get an idea of where it is coming from and maybe make a video....

Chuck
2010 SIM 2SS/RS A6 SC - Born on 10/05/09
MyCamaroBuildInfo

"You Were Really Flyin' When I Passed You Back There!"
February-2013-MOTM-Winner

post #4 of 4 Old 07-02-2016, 10:20 AM

First thing would be to look for a vacuum leak in the flexible lines. A small crack can squeal/whistle loudly. Generally it will be just a hiss. This will make idle rough and difficult as well. On your tear, there are very few. One to look at first is the hose running to your vacuum brake booster (if equipped with power brakes that were and option back then) and the other would be the vacuum advance hose that runs to the vacuum assy on the distributor. Start there, and then (as posted above) a video would be good to help us. The alternator bearings may have dried up and the squeal is a filing bearing, or water pump as well. Change all belts as well to eliminate each possible source. Very doubtful the torque converter would be the cause, but the fluid pump in the front of the trans (you have a power glide 2 speed if stock auto trans) could make noise, but again, rare.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page