Chevrolet Camaro LT Rental-Car Wears SS Badges - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 10-12-2012, 01:57 PM Thread Starter
Sponsored Editorial Content

Chevrolet Camaro LT Rental-Car Wears SS Badges

P.J. O'Rourke has a famous quip about the fastest car is a rental car. Maybe that is the logic behind the SS badge-wearing LT Camaro convertible that Hertz has in its Hawaiian Islands, fleet of cars.

Youtube user, Eddie Ramones and his wife were on Oahu for their honeymoon and reserved a full-sized car from Hertz for their trip. When they arrived at Hertz they decided to upgrade to an SS convertible.

In a post to Camaro5, Ramones said "I saw the SS ad flashing by on the TV behind the counter and I bit. I thought it would be nice introduction to a V8 5th gen car for when I look for one next year."

Ramones owns a 2002 V6 Camaro and when he and his wife drove off in the convertible he noticed it felt much less powerful than a 400hp car should. He eventually looked under the hood and noticed that the V8 is missing two cylinders.

Ramones made a video (see below) and posted it to youtube. He determines that it is actually an LT model wearing an SS badge on the tail but missing the badge that should be on the grille. It is also missing the hood scoop that is on the current SS Camaro.

The VIN on the car matches the one that is on the title that is in the glovebox.That title is for a V6 Camaro. Ramones went back to Hertz and alerted the company to the issue, they have discounted his rental price to what he would have originally paid for the full-sized car that he had reserved.

We called Hertz spokesperson, Paula Rivera and she said that "we are loking into it." She went on to say that "we have set the car aside until we are sure what's going on and can take the appropriate action." When asked about how this car could have ended up with SS badges, Rivera said that she "cannot comment at this time."

LT in SS clothing - YouTube

[Source: GM Authority]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 10-12-2012, 06:02 PM
sdk
Veteran Member

Garage
Shame on Hertz!!

2017 Camaro SS
South Carolina
post #3 of 8 Old 10-15-2012, 07:28 AM
See You On Course

Yeah, can't comment means "got busted and not sure how to spin it". Oops. How many times has the car been rented out already, and the client's charged for the SS?

2010 Stock IBM 2SS/RS

I found $80 in my jeans pocket. The kid in me said "buy nerf guns and candy!" But then the adult in me said "buy vodka, nerf guns and candy!"

post #4 of 8 Old 02-27-2013, 12:50 PM

I'm thinking this was an honest mistake unless they rent the LT and the SS and were trying to increase their fleet of "SS" in order to make more money.

More likely is that most folks can't tell the difference between the 2 by looking and they were sold a car with SS badges without knowing the difference.

or.... more sinister.... some jokester placed the badges on there to be funny.... or someone rented the V6 but wanted to be cool (ok... V6's are cool too but you know what I mean) and turned their LT rental into an SS rental.... I mean... come on... we have all seen the folks that put SS on their LTs
post #5 of 8 Old 03-05-2013, 01:31 AM

It didn't even have the RS package so it wasn't even a fully loaded 2LT which are actually really nice cars.

Now it would be pretty cool if it didn't have any badges, was rolling around on those 19's but had an LS3 under the hood with a Vortech YSI force feeding it or the super silent Maggie TVS 2300. Total sleeper.

Last edited by SIXJAK; 03-05-2013 at 01:34 AM.
post #6 of 8 Old 03-06-2013, 12:42 PM
Bully Proof

Garage
I find it impossible to believe that the person in charge of procuring cars for Hertz cannot tell the difference between a 6 cylinder and an 8 cylinder engine. This was no honest mistake...it is a well known company knowingly and intentionally defrauding their customers in order to make extra money. Or in other words...business as usual in corporate America.
post #7 of 8 Old 03-06-2013, 12:48 PM
Premium Member

Garage
My guess is the person who runs that particular Hertz franchise is the one at fault.

James 1:25 Ordered from Faulkner Chevy #NKCF02 1100 5/8/9 2000, 3300 7/16/9 TPW 7/20,GOT MY (low) VIN! 4000 7/24/9 ,Picked up 8/7/9!!! Signed Litho #45. Car signed by FBodfather 2011. Service: Jennings Chevy in PA. We don't "drift", kiddies... we POWER SLIDE! MOTM/COTM Sept 2012 Pro Patria Vigilans.
Click the pic.. I don't tolerate fools.
post #8 of 8 Old 03-12-2013, 04:50 AM

That or something happened at the GM Factory, I know from other dealers and even the Motor Carrier drivers that come missing tail lights (like completely missing them), trim badges messed up - so I wouldn't be soo quick to blame Hertz, because the GM Factory is all kinds of special when it comes to trim badges.

I find a lot of my vehicles are missing their antennas, so we have all kinds of fun with vehicles missing stuff.

2010 Camaro 2SS/Hennessey HPE 600: TVS 2300 Magna Supercharger, Custom Hennessey 600 Horsepower Pully, VVT/DOD Delete, New Era Performance Custom Cam, Lunati Gold Dual Valve Springs, Comp Cams Trunion Upgrade, 3000 RPM Stall Kit, 850 gl/hr injectors, ARH 1 7/8 headers with Hi Flow Cats
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page