Computer Nerds/Computer Gamers! In here! - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
The MC Lounge General Discussions. Disrespectful behavior will not be tolerated.
POLITICAL AND/OR RELIGIOUS CONTENT IS PROHIBITED

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 46 Old 01-30-2009, 08:20 AM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Computer Nerds/Computer Gamers! In here!

I have been thinking about splurging and going back to my "gaming" roots of computer gaming. Honestly, even though I've played consoles for years I think the PC is the best of the best and I miss it. RTS on consoles suck! FPS are 10x better and you can make your owns mods for games.

What is a good gaming computer? I don't wany anything over the top because I don't have too much $$$, I'm gonna swing the "I need it for college too" scheme...it might work.

I've read that real PC gamers build their own machines overtime, but I don't know too much about computers and rather have a decent package already setup.

Any ideas on what I should look at? I have no clue what is good out there, and I will need it for college eventually so I'm clueless on what is a good mix.

I like RPGs and old FPS so is there something that can run DOS games without doing all this weird crap to my PC?

I don't want to spend a lot, maybe around $1000, is that a good computer?

Thanks
post #2 of 46 Old 01-30-2009, 08:25 AM
Banned

I have a P6831FX and LOVE it. Plays anything I've thrown at it flawlessly. Best of all, it's portable.

The current generation of my laptop. Better, faster, cheaper:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1218043606827
post #3 of 46 Old 01-30-2009, 08:56 AM

Yeah, I've always built mine. You can build (maybe buy) a great gaming machine for $1000 if you don't include the monitor in that cost. Just stay away from Alienware. Ridiculously priced.
post #4 of 46 Old 01-30-2009, 09:11 AM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

I don't really want a Computer+monitor, I'm going to buy a LCD TV and use it as my screen eventually.

I also don't want a laptop, I like the desktop.
post #5 of 46 Old 01-30-2009, 09:54 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Third_Gen_Adam View Post
I don't really want a Computer+monitor, I'm going to buy a LCD TV and use it as my screen eventually.

I also don't want a laptop, I like the desktop.
O.K. The Computer with a TV kinda makes sense if you plan on living in a dorm room environment, but I just don't see any reason to own a full sized desktop in today's world when laptops are just as capable at gaming, have sharp screens, bluetooth, and wireless (Hulu on the go *****es!)
post #6 of 46 Old 01-30-2009, 10:37 AM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

My room at home isn't very big, not much bigger if not smaller than a dorm room. Desktop > Laptop is just personal preference.
post #7 of 46 Old 01-30-2009, 10:49 AM
Banned

There has to be a reasoning behind the personal preference? Honestly, I'm trying to figure out what the advantages are. I'm not judging, just having owned laptops exclusively for several years now, I just don't understand "desktops." (especially after I bought my 6831FX)
post #8 of 46 Old 01-30-2009, 12:35 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

For one I don't like the keyboards on a lap top, the keys are weird to me.

I'll probably end up taking the laptop everywhere and it getting beat up.

It being portable, I'll probably keep it on my dresser and watch it get smacked...or covered in clothes, etc.

I could list and list, but I'm looking at Dell XPS series.
post #9 of 46 Old 01-30-2009, 12:43 PM
Veteran Member

The XPS (what's plural for XPS?lol) are nice. I had one for 2 months, but SOMEBODY (nephew) spilled SOMETHING (soda) on it and FOR SOME REASON (everything got fried) it didn't work anymore, but I scrapped it and got 400 bucks. Nice, because I only spent 500. The whole time I had it, I only turned it on maybe 5 times. I was mostly on my Laptop. And yes adam. Laptops get jacked up.

┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐
post #10 of 46 Old 01-30-2009, 12:48 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

I've been away from the computer "World" for years, I don't know WTF these things in the computer are. DDR3 RAM? WTF? Overclocking? What?

I don't want to make a big purchase and end up not getting something good with no upgradebility. I'm looking for a cheap package to playing and mod Fallout and oblivion...geez!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page