A little pissed off - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
The MC Lounge General Discussions. Disrespectful behavior will not be tolerated.
POLITICAL AND/OR RELIGIOUS CONTENT IS PROHIBITED

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 01-30-2009, 12:39 PM Thread Starter

A little pissed off

Ok, well Im curently in college and for the second year in a row was forced to live with a random person in a double b/c there were no singles left. Now our school claims there is a housing shortage (3600 people in the whole school) yet this semester there are 5 empty doubles in my hall and 3 in the hall next to me b/c people moved into sororities frats and went abroad this semester. So in my hall there are 4 doubles with people in them, one single with someone in it and 5 empty doubles. So me and my roommate went to housing to see if one of us could switch into one of the empty rooms and they told us since it was a double he would need someone to switch into the room with him. So we asked "So we need to live in a room together even though there are 5 empty rooms right next to us?" and with a straight face the woman said yes. Then we asked what they would do with the room otherwise and she said they would most likely just sit empty the rest of the year. Sometimes people just piss me off
post #2 of 14 Old 01-30-2009, 12:48 PM
Resident GTO nutswinger

That **** always happens with big school dorms. Do you not have the option to move off-campus yet? The dorms are cool and all freshman year, but after that you need to gtfo there.

2006 Pontiac GTO | Intake | Predator Tuned | Spintech Exhaust

post #3 of 14 Old 01-30-2009, 01:18 PM

That same thing pretty much happened to me. I lived in dorms freshman and sophmore year and had become good friend with my roommate, so we had plans of getting an apartment for the next year before his g/f decided she was moving in, so I bailed on that idea (she was a b**** and thankfully he isn't with her anymore). I got stuck in the dorms for one more year with a random roommate even though I requested a single and he was an obnoxious, alcoholic freshman with annoying friend. And I had that same kind of meeting because there were tons of double dorms empty but they wouldn't let me have one without paying almost double. It sucked.

2011 Synergy Green Metallic 1SS Camaro:
RS Package, White Ralley Stripes, Premium Sound.
Mods; Flowmaster Exhaust, Vararam CAI, Pfadt Sport Suspension, Budnik "Ice" Wheels, Nitto Invo tires
Upcoming Mods; Custom grill and badging.
post #4 of 14 Old 01-30-2009, 01:20 PM Thread Starter

They didnt even give me the option to pay double, they just said no. Oh and as for off campus seniors have the option first, then juniors and then sophomores, so next year I would have a pretty good shot, but then I could also get a single or suite type room. But even though our school claims a housing shortage they permitted one third the normal amount of people to live off campus this year. But some people had alreayd signed leases and didnt get approved so now they pay for a room (whose roommate either lives off campus too and the room is empty or they get a double to themselves) and live off campus anyway. And the school know this is going on any allows them to do that yet wont let me switch into another room.
I know plenty of people who have had doubles to themselves and even one who had a triple to themselves b/c there roommates were either kicked out or switched rooms, but we aren't allowed to switch into an empty double, this makes no sense to me.

Last edited by bsimms89; 01-30-2009 at 01:39 PM.
post #5 of 14 Old 01-30-2009, 01:56 PM
Resident GTO nutswinger

What do you mean seniors have option first, and then juniors and sophomores? Obviously those are not off-campus residences, they are part of the college.

By off campus I'm talking about apartment complexes in your town, or even subletting a room in a private house with other college kids. Such aparments do not give preferences to seniors and upperclassmen, heck they don't care who you are. And since you obviously live in a college town, there will be plenty of tennants around your age in the complexes.

The best years of my college life were spent in said places. Junior year I moved in with some random guys in a huuuuge house and it was a blast. Then senior year I moved in with some friends in a local apartment complex. 90% of the people living there were going to my school and around the same age.

That is what you need to do, unless you are required by the school to live in the dorms for a certain period of time.

post #6 of 14 Old 01-30-2009, 04:59 PM Thread Starter

No they are off campus and not affiliated with the school in any way, but the school only permits a certain amount of people to live off campus each year and choose who is allowed to based on seniority. Then if you are picked you are allowed to find an apartment or house to rent. And according to the unenforced rule for everyday that you live off campus when you haven't been given permission you are to be fined $100.
post #7 of 14 Old 01-30-2009, 05:05 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsimms89 View Post
No they are off campus and not affiliated with the school in any way, but the school only permits a certain amount of people to live off campus each year and choose who is allowed to based on seniority. Then if you are picked you are allowed to find an apartment or house to rent. And according to the unenforced rule for everyday that you live off campus when you haven't been given permission you are to be fined $100.
What kind of f**ked up school are you going to?

I'm sorry, but I'm at a loss for words as to how a college can determine who does and doesn't get to live off campus. They are a college, not the city government. And at that, they still can't do it, it's unconstitutional.

Project: 89 RS => AX/RR
post #8 of 14 Old 01-30-2009, 05:08 PM
Resident GTO nutswinger

Wow seriously, they have such a rule?

Is this 1970's communist Russia here or a democracy. I can see a school forcing students to live on campus for a certain period of time (my school you had to be in the dorms frosh and soph year) but to tell them you can't live off campus if you like, and to go as fur as penalizing you

post #9 of 14 Old 01-30-2009, 05:22 PM Thread Starter

I go to bucknell university in Lewisburg PA.
I have a new plan though, the woman that I asked was just the woman at the front desk in the housing office, I am going to e-mail the assistant dean who is in charge of the housing department and ask for a meeting with him to explain my situation. My roommate is an annoying frat boy who goes out till like 1 am on weeknights and comes back drunk or high and then proceeds to do his homework in the room then. Meanwhile I'm double majoring in civil engineering and business management and regularly have 8am class and starting next week I will have to start getting up at 5am for morning runs for football. I hope that this is enough to convince him to give me some slack.
post #10 of 14 Old 01-30-2009, 05:25 PM
Resident GTO nutswinger

Or you can just kick his ass everytime he annoys you or wakes you up.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page