Chip Foose: Hemisfear - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
The MC Lounge General Discussions. Disrespectful behavior will not be tolerated.
POLITICAL AND/OR RELIGIOUS CONTENT IS PROHIBITED

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 01-04-2007, 06:35 AM Thread Starter
Supporter of common sense

Chip Foose: Hemisfear

This thing looks badass!
I never knew Chip had a hand in designing the original Plymouth Prowler...

From the Detroit News
Jerry Garrett / New York Times
HUNTINGTON BEACH, Calif . -- The Detroit auto show this month will be a coming-out party, of sorts, for the car customizer Chip Foose.
"I've been to the show before, many times of course," said Foose, in an interview from Foose Design, his company here in this beachside community. "But my role has never been publicly announced. This time it will be."
Foose will be in Detroit to unveil a special edition Ford F-150 pickup for which he had free rein to reinterpret the design. This follows the recent debut of a similarly conceived Foose Mustang. The Mustang, which is being manufactured at a rate of 80 a month, has been sold out at Ford dealerships, he said.
Foose, the rare customizer actually commissioned by a manufacturer to produce a special edition model to sell at its dealerships, likens himself to others who have put their stamp on cars, like the performance maestro Carroll Shelby, who created the new Ford Shelby GT500, and the Eddie Bauer retail company, which put its name on Ford SUVs.
The Mustang's initial success seems to have given him the opportunity to do more with Ford. He was in Detroit last week meeting with the company to discuss developing more products.
Foose's contribution has been in design only, but he said future Foose vehicles would likely have performance modifications -- that retain Ford's warranty coverage -- as well.
"There are a lot of opportunities there, too," he added.
Foose, 43, was still a student in 1989 when a hot rod design he sketched caught the eye of Chrysler's design staff. Foose's creation led to the Plymouth (later Chrysler) Prowler. That made him something of a prodigy in the design community, and his ideas have led to some industry-changing models for customizers. The past couple of years, he's been the star of "Overhaulin'," a Learning Channel show on which older cars are picked at random for a full-body makeover. He recently announced, in addition to his Ford collaborations, a partnership to produce a limited run of the Hemisfear, a more faithful rendition of his original Prowler design -- and this time it will have a Hemi in it.
"They just chose the wrong motor," Foose said of the car, which was sold with only a V-6. "They just didn't capture the heart of the enthusiast with a V-6. If they had put a V-8 in that car, it would have been an incredible selling vehicle." Instead, the Prowler remains something of an automotive novelty.
The Prowler's fate raises the question: Does the mainstream auto industry really care what he and others in the surging customizing industry are doing?
"I believe they do, because you can look at what is happening in the auto industry, with the rebirth of the Mustang, the Challenger coming back, and the Camaro, and that's the heart of this country: the muscle car theme," he said. "There's interest in re-imagining these cars."
Beyond that, Foose has had a sub rosa design role with automakers. He will admit to participating in the development of Ford's Legends series cars, like the Thunderbird, the Forty Nine concept car and the Ford GT. But he is bound by confidentiality agreements from citing specifically what his contribution was.
"I can't publicly say that I 'worked on' those cars," he said. "But I was 'involved with' the design team in bringing back some of that heritage."
Foose acknowledged that not everybody likes retro-themed designs.
"I know a lot of people have been beat up for doing this retro thing," he conceded. "I don't believe it is retro. I believe it's evolutionary. I think it's cool that the designers today are looking at the rich heritage that they have."

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll...TO03/701030316
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hemisfear.jpg
Views:	543
Size:	25.4 KB
ID:	58  

Joe :: Over Anxious 67 Camaro RS/SS L78
5thgenblog.com // Michigan Classics
Chevrolet Camaro in Transformers // My ebaY auctions

Hot Rod Search Google searches for gearheads!
post #2 of 11 Old 01-04-2007, 09:44 AM

He is a Genius!
post #3 of 11 Old 01-04-2007, 11:32 AM
ModernCamaro.com Founder / Former Camaro Disciple

That looks better than the production version lol.

He's a great designer, that's for sure!

2001 Camaro Z28 H/C/I LH6 A4 3.42

Like ModernCamaro.com on Facebook!
post #4 of 11 Old 01-04-2007, 11:37 AM Thread Starter
Supporter of common sense

I just noticed today there is already diecast of this thing roaming the web

There is a smaller orange version as well

Joe :: Over Anxious 67 Camaro RS/SS L78
5thgenblog.com // Michigan Classics
Chevrolet Camaro in Transformers // My ebaY auctions

Hot Rod Search Google searches for gearheads!
post #5 of 11 Old 01-04-2007, 03:56 PM

Chip has came out with some really creative and funtional machines.
post #6 of 11 Old 01-04-2007, 05:55 PM

I have some pics I took of it when it was at the Houston Auto Show. I'll post later.

2005 CTSV BLACK LS7 Clutch/Flywheel/Slave, Tick Speed Bleeder, Tilton Clutch MC, RevShift Bushings, Domestic V8 Solutions (shifter, 8.8 Diff conversion, srut tower braces, sub-frame connectors), SLP cats, no cags, xpipe, bullet mufflers, Volante, iPod dock, G-force tune; 379hp 381tq.

Killing 5th gens like it is my job.
post #7 of 11 Old 01-04-2007, 08:53 PM

wow cool....

1994 Z28 Autobot

I would like to thank the person that came up with these fine avatar and signature's.
post #8 of 11 Old 01-04-2007, 10:55 PM

HemisFear:

Other Foose:

2005 CTSV BLACK LS7 Clutch/Flywheel/Slave, Tick Speed Bleeder, Tilton Clutch MC, RevShift Bushings, Domestic V8 Solutions (shifter, 8.8 Diff conversion, srut tower braces, sub-frame connectors), SLP cats, no cags, xpipe, bullet mufflers, Volante, iPod dock, G-force tune; 379hp 381tq.

Killing 5th gens like it is my job.
post #9 of 11 Old 01-16-2007, 06:08 AM

The Foose Mustangs I think are pretty pricey. I think a Steeda is still the one to get.

And yes Chip is a genius and I believe he is 100% correct. If the Prowler had a Hemi in it? And God forbid a Manual trans? They would still be making them....just as long as they didn't tack on an additional $20k...
post #10 of 11 Old 01-16-2007, 07:36 PM

I saw one of the diecast at Walmart the oter day....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page