this has been nagging me for over a year I think now - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
The MC Lounge General Discussions. Disrespectful behavior will not be tolerated.
POLITICAL AND/OR RELIGIOUS CONTENT IS PROHIBITED

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 34 Old 02-12-2009, 04:39 PM Thread Starter

this has been nagging me for over a year I think now

If you know how to drive cars very well, especially high performance cars, and know how the car works and how to do different things to it, but don't because you don't have the time or it's not enjoyable, does that somehow make you less of a car enthusiast?

I've had people say that I'm not a 'true' car enthusiast because I'm not a greaser or however you want to call it and I pay to get mods done or maintenance. I've changed my oil, put on all the intake items on my car, and the simple stuff, but I got my under drive pulley and exhaust put on by a speed shop in houston, my brakes installed by a local mechanic, and tires done by discount tire(still wonder how that got thrown into the conversation , who balances their own tires?). I guess soon you'll have to manufacture your own metal alloys, car, oils, tires, etc. to be a true enthusiast

Suddenly, because I own a fast and nice car, but don't work on it myself that much and have the money to get things done to it(at reasonable price), I'm the rich, smart, spoiled kid with the fast car at school and am not a true car enthusiast

I love to learn about cars, I know how they work overall(still learning about suspension though, and how to understand the specifications of camshafts, those are the things I'm tryin to learn about now), I like to work on cars sometimes but mostly just old cars, I think I'm a pretty good driver(everybody at my school is a straight line person racing another car while I like curvy back roads just driving fast), and like every type car out there really. Whether an economy car or high performance from any country too(but I buy American).

I pointed out that race car drivers don't know every little detail of their car, I mean they know their car pretty well, but not as well as the mechanics. Unless you're a true one man race team, that would suck. That's why they have race TEAMS and not individual people right?

The people I was talkin to said that race car drivers had to start out as mechanics. That got me, but I said, so does a mechanic have to be a race car driver? Even if he's a master mechanic, let's say the best in the world, but doesn't even have a driver's license, does that mean he can't join the race team?

Please tell me these dumb asses are wrong, there were three of them and all but one have crapped out there cars or wrecked it

I guess I have an inferiority complex?

lost maple challenge, outside of leakey, texas

349.99 rwhp 2002 Camaro SS 35th anniversary
post #2 of 34 Old 02-12-2009, 04:45 PM
Banned

There's a HUGE difference between and "automotive enthusiast" and a "gearhead." You're an enthusiast, not a gearhead. Not that you can't become a gearhead. I would say most Corvette owners fall under the "enthusiast" category.

Unfortunately there's this weird grey segment where morons do all of their own work, but it turns out looking like ass...I'm not quite sure where they fall, but that's what I usually call a ricer.

I do think it's important to do as much work on your car as you can. Maybe headers you couldn't have done, but bolting up a catback, you could have surely done. You DEFINATELY could have tackled the underdrive pulley's. Most people like yourself that fall into the enthusiast category have one thing that separates them from the entry level gearhead: confidence. You gotta realize that most mechanical things you want to do are almost impossible to screw up if you follow the directions, torque specs, and are willing to get a little grease on your elbows and blood on your knuckles.
post #3 of 34 Old 02-12-2009, 05:10 PM
Veteran Member

i think it has to do with the time you spend working on your car is a bonding time. idk i think they are slightly jealous and or dont feel that you have the same passion as they do....

if it seems like my thoughts are scattered (it's b/c they are)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54inches View Post
Facebook has sucked me into Farmtown.

What can I say I love virtual plowing.
post #4 of 34 Old 02-12-2009, 05:46 PM
Veteran Member

After reading your post there were several things I was going to say, but Devryn has hit them all. Listen to him....he speaks the truth, and nuttin' but!

Enjoy your car, man!

post #5 of 34 Old 02-12-2009, 07:00 PM
Veteran Member

I agree man

The Induction may be forced but your humilation is up to you

5th GEN.Org's Offical Protagonist
UNITED STATES ARMY 19K
Currently with 3rd ID,2nd brig,1-64th armored battalion,d-co,2nd plt FT.Stewart,Georgia
DOG FACE SOLIDERS HOOAH
post #6 of 34 Old 02-12-2009, 07:09 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devryn View Post
There's a HUGE difference between and "automotive enthusiast" and a "gearhead." You're an enthusiast, not a gearhead. Not that you can't become a gearhead. I would say most Corvette owners fall under the "enthusiast" category.

Unfortunately there's this weird grey segment where morons do all of their own work, but it turns out looking like ass...I'm not quite sure where they fall, but that's what I usually call a ricer.

I do think it's important to do as much work on your car as you can. Maybe headers you couldn't have done, but bolting up a catback, you could have surely done. You DEFINATELY could have tackled the underdrive pulley's. Most people like yourself that fall into the enthusiast category have one thing that separates them from the entry level gearhead: confidence. You gotta realize that most mechanical things you want to do are almost impossible to screw up if you follow the directions, torque specs, and are willing to get a little grease on your elbows and blood on your knuckles.
thanks, you're right, I'm lacking the confidence with my car. I tend to do most of my work with guns, fixing, modifying them(legally). I need to feel the same about my car, just think it's a bigger gun

The mods I got done over 2 years ago, when I was 15, so I've learned a lot since then. I wasn't on the internet a fraction of what I am now, which has been my biggest learning tool

I think I've seen some of those ricers, it's not necessarily the car they drive, just what they do to it. There is this 90's Mustang GT in our town that has a big ass wing and body kit, ugly ass headlights and thinks he's the sh*t or somethin lol. I think a stock one of his car would be faster

Then there is this 90's Honda Civic in our town, and I met him a few weeks back. He has some bad ass motor he dropped in it, like a B16? I think, but anyway he's done nothing to the car appearance wise except for wider tires and better wheels. and he also has a primer hood he's getting painted I think. But it was just a plain looking Civic except that it was lower to the ground. My point was is that he didn't have a wing that is bigger than a formula 1 car's wing or a body kit that causes drag with the fart can hanging out the back. He spanked the crap out of a Foxbody GT that was stock. Although the mods were good, a Civic is not a drag car, the only performance versions made were made for handling, and quickness, but he definitely was doing good with the Civic

I've been thinking about getting some more stuff and doing it myself for a while now, I'll probably go through with it

and Jonz I think I need to enjoy my car more too

lost maple challenge, outside of leakey, texas

349.99 rwhp 2002 Camaro SS 35th anniversary
post #7 of 34 Old 02-12-2009, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonz5GEN View Post
After reading your post there were several things I was going to say, but Devryn has hit them all. Listen to him....he speaks the truth, and nuttin' but!

Enjoy your car, man!
I agree as well.

Confidence is key.

It took me a few months to get the nuts enough to cut the top off my Suburban, even though I knew I was going to do it!

I think the term that is missing here is POSER and when I first started reading your post that is what I thought, but if you tackled your own intake, that is a GREAT start to learning how things are done. The top end of a car has enough to it, that it will teach you plenty.

With your car, I would not go too wild as it is your DD, right?

You do not want HAVE to work on your DD. I was not as fortunate as you at your age.

I drove a 20 year old Camaro and had to work on it everyday to keep it running, but I sure did learn quick.

2005 CTSV BLACK LS7 Clutch/Flywheel/Slave, Tick Speed Bleeder, Tilton Clutch MC, RevShift Bushings, Domestic V8 Solutions (shifter, 8.8 Diff conversion, srut tower braces, sub-frame connectors), SLP cats, no cags, xpipe, bullet mufflers, Volante, iPod dock, G-force tune; 379hp 381tq.

Killing 5th gens like it is my job.
post #8 of 34 Old 02-13-2009, 10:14 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54inches View Post
Confidence is key.

With your car, I would not go too wild as it is your DD, right?

You do not want HAVE to work on your DD. I was not as fortunate as you at your age.

I drove a 20 year old Camaro and had to work on it everyday to keep it running, but I sure did learn quick.
I dunno if this was ballz or stupidity, but here's a pic of the top half of my motor opened up with only 18K miles on a $34K car.....all in the name of modding!

post #9 of 34 Old 02-13-2009, 10:16 AM
Banned

You selling any of your performance stuff before you get rid of it? (any of it that'll fit a Dodge Ram?)
post #10 of 34 Old 02-13-2009, 10:19 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devryn View Post
You selling any of your performance stuff before you get rid of it? (any of it that'll fit a Dodge Ram?)
LOL! I'm keeping the Magnum, Dev. The heads and cam will work on a Ram, though.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page