Dilemma: Retire or stay in???? - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
The MC Lounge General Discussions. Disrespectful behavior will not be tolerated.
POLITICAL AND/OR RELIGIOUS CONTENT IS PROHIBITED

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 Old 02-12-2009, 10:09 PM Thread Starter
Premium Member

Garage
Dilemma: Retire or stay in????

I am at a crossroads somewhat in my career/life and thought that I'd get some thoughts from outside my little circle of family/career counselors.

Here it is: If I want to, I can put in my retirement letter in a few months even though I couldn't officially retire until August 2010. Why does the military make you do that? Because they need to know how many are leaving the service and they need to bring in that many more folks. Plus, it removes you from any advancements that you are up for.

Well, I'm only 6 hours shy of my AA and will be about 35 shy of my Bachelor (Criminal Justice) degree if I retire. I'm 40 and am not sure about getting out with the economy like it is. We don't know what the future holds for us all but I'm not sure about the job market for a retired Chief Boatswain Mate.

I love the CG and don't want to get out truth be told. But, something inside says I should go do something different. I grew up knowing that I wanted to join the service and the only hard part was deciding which one to join. I know that I made the right decision as far as that goes but I am kind of itching to see what else is out there.

I don't like telling "sea stories" but I've stood on the deck of a ship as she heaved to in the violent seas and I've pulled vessels through waves as big as your house. Was I ever scared or worried? No, because I have the absolute best training in the world and have sailed with the best that this country has to offer. Seen, heard and said some of the craziest things that you've ever heard of and yet I think that I might be missing out on living a normal life.

Luckily, I've survived everything that the sea has thrown at me. However, it scares the crap out of me thinking that I'm not going to do this ever again.

Any thoughts on the above would be appreciated.

Semper Paratus
post #2 of 18 Old 02-12-2009, 10:37 PM

stay
post #3 of 18 Old 02-12-2009, 10:49 PM

Stay in until you have the education completed, at least. Economy is too squirrley right now. All you are doing is adding to your service time. Heck, go for Senior Chief.

What can a Chief Boats do? **** near anything!
post #4 of 18 Old 02-12-2009, 11:02 PM

i would suggest staying in so long as you still enjoy it
post #5 of 18 Old 02-13-2009, 06:12 AM
Banned

Stay until the economy gets better.
post #6 of 18 Old 02-13-2009, 06:55 AM

If you get out you'll probably spend the rest of your life wishing you had stayed in. Do something part time if you want to try something new, it doesn't have to be either/or. If you find that part time thing more satisfying then you can take the leap. Good luck.

D.R.
post #7 of 18 Old 02-13-2009, 09:50 AM

If you love what you are doing and look forward to putting the uniform on every day...stay in. I have been in for 17 years and cannot imagine doing anything else.

MAJ, US Army
post #8 of 18 Old 02-13-2009, 10:17 AM

The concensus so far is for you to stay in, and I agree. Just looking at your post makes it obvious (to me at least) that in your heart you want to stay. I retired (I'm 66) five years ago and a lot of my friends are also retired. I know for certain that you MUST have a clear and definite plan of action as to what you'll do after you retire (or in your case change careers). Those I know who have, have been happy. Those who didn't, have not. Look real close at that "something inside" that says do something different. Make sure you know exactly why you're even considering a change. It may be something really important .. it may simply be the "I'm not getting any younger thing". Anyway, we all appreciate you and all who serve our country. Please keep us posted as to your decision, and best of luck to you however you decide.
post #9 of 18 Old 02-13-2009, 02:18 PM
Veteran Member

You only live once, do what you want to do!
post #10 of 18 Old 02-13-2009, 05:24 PM

Chief,

I am at the same crossroad. I am at 18.5 years and obviously I will re-enlist to make 20 yrs but how much longer do I stay? Am I going to be missing out on something if I stay. Another big factor was getting on with my life. It is hard to really settle into a sustainable, traditional lifestyle while serving given the "flexibility" required. I want a place to call home. I want a community to call home. I am tired of having to pick up and leave every 3 or 4 years to a different part of the country. My wife and son are tired of having to start over again everytime we move to a new community. I really put a lot of thought into it but a couple things my wife and I discussed really sealed the deal to stay longer than just 20.

Just for some background: As you do, I truly love my job and am proud to serve my country. I am a Boom Operator in the US Air Force. I am close to finishing my bachelors. I hold 2 Military Associates Degrees and 2 Instructor Degrees.

Points that helped me decide to stay longer.

1. If you truly love this job and you can't do it in the civilian world, why leave it behind? Do what you love to do because once it is gone you can never get it back. Once you make that decision to move on, it cannot be changed. Don't put yourself in a position to second guess this decision.

2. Stop thinking so hard about life after the military. Stop and smell the roses. My wife and son will be behind me whatever I decide. Retirement will come eventually but don't make a decision based on what you perceive to be the right "time to go". Stop and smell the roses.

3. Financial turmoil everywhere you turn. Layoffs left and right. What is the benefit to leaving now?

4. Benefits to come. I want my son to live a better life than I was able to provide. As you know, we don't make a lot of money and frankly it has never been about the money. But an opportunity is presenting itself that is another factor on my length of service. The new GI Bill. The ability to transfer that benefit to my son so that he may attend college like most high school graduates has become very important to me. It won't bring back all the missing birthdays, family events & holidays or even make up for it but I can finally give something back to my son for all the sacrifices he made to allow me to do what I do. I can help him make a better life for himself.

Sorry to write a book here but I know what you are going through and well just make one more point.

You said....

"...I've stood on the deck of a ship as she heaved to in the violent seas and I've pulled vessels through waves as big as your house. Was I ever scared or worried? No, because I have the absolute best training in the world and have sailed with the best that this country has to offer. Seen, heard and said some of the craziest things that you've ever heard of..."

Evrything you said above I can identify with. Those moments can never be taken away. Once it is gone my friend....it is gone forever. All that is left is the stories. Do you really want that for the sake of normalcy? It will come in time whether you want it to or not.

Last edited by Wolvescp; 02-13-2009 at 05:29 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page